Do you let it deflate you?

Can't let it. If I did I'd find something else. Potential is just that - potential. The game is hard and some days it shows hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admit I struggle with this, mostly because my performance directly correlates with traveling and scholarship. If I do not play well, I stay home and do not get to play the sport I love all over the states. Repeated poor play over long periods of time risks loss of scholarship. This fall after a good start in qualifying I sat at home the entire fall... because of one round. If I'm being honest I could of still fought back but I dug myself in a pretty big hole with only 2 rounds left. It's frustrating with how much time and effort I put into my game to have it all come down to one round but, that's the road I chose and I have no regrets.

If there's one thing I've learned from golf, however, is that you never know when a breakthrough is coming. It could be the next golf shot or it could be in a year but it will come if you chase it. I had a qualifying round earlier this year where I was +7 through 6 and finished -5 after that for +2 overall, and those bounce backs are happening more and more for me.

It's a blessing to be playing golf at all because I know there are people overseas fighting for our country and those who cannot afford even one golf club. A bad day of golf is so small on a scale of real world problems.

Nice thread, trout. I don't let them get to me. If I was a low singles cap or better they might but I'm not good enough to think I am going to have great rounds all the time.

I certainly do, my mental game is pretty weak. A poor round of golf sadly also bleeds into the rest of my life, I look forward all week to playing and when I play terribly it usually puts me in a grumpy mood for a little while afterwards.

Trying to not have such high expectations for my play and accept that I am an incredibly streaky player so I should accept the lows and know the highs are coming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It does get me down a little bit. Last week my driver was on and I started with two pars but had shots at birdies. Then, on the third hole (short par 3) I decided to hit 9 iron instead of 8 because no wind and pin up front. Hit a bad shot into ice plant, may as well be out of bounds. Two holes later a six iron in the water, score out the window. Yesterday on the range I hit poorly, worm burners and hooks. What bummed me is that I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and correct it. So, it did get me down a bit, but I'll get back on the horse and try it again after work to see if I can straighten it out.

Do you let bad days on the course deflate you?

I've come to a point where my game has gotten really inconsistent due to not playing much or practicing and it used to really bother me a lot because I was always measuring myself, I got deflated thinking about how much work went in to the game and how much it takes to keep it going. Realizing it's a game that requires an investment of sorts, I've become ok with the fact that right now I'm simply not able to be competitive. Golf is a game that can deliver some serious butthurt but it's still a game.

Do you let it deflate you when you don't play to your potential or you aren't hitting it well?

It's just a game to me now. My focus on the course is to enjoy the people I am with. If the game goes south, I'm over it pretty quickly and start joking at my own expense. I just listened to a great segment of the Golf Industry Uncut with Chad Hall who said he plays the game to enjoy it for the sake of the game.

I could not possibly agree more. Unless the wheels and both arms fall off, I focus on other things to enjoy my time out there.

It's just a game to me now. My focus on the course is to enjoy the people I am with. If the game goes south, I'm over it pretty quickly and start joking at my own expense. I just listened to a great segment of the Golf Industry Uncut with Chad Hall who said he plays the game to enjoy it for the sake of the game.

I could not possibly agree more. Unless the wheels and both arms fall off, I focus on other things to enjoy my time out there.

This makes me happy to read.

I try to not let bad rounds bother me. Sure I'll think about what I could have done differently, but with every bad round comes an opportunity to play better the next round.

It gets me down more than it should. I am learning to get over it more quickly though.

In the moment, I can feel pretty "meh" after a bad round, but I'm ready to get back out there, sometimes the same day. Had worst round in nearly 4 seasons a couple of weeks ago... I played 27+ holes the next day. Still didn't play too well, but I was enjoying my time on the course... playing a game I love.

Frustrate me, YES! Deflate me, NO WAY! Golf is just that type of game!

It got to me early in the summer and I needed a couple of THPers to reel me back in.

Alot of things going on earlier this summer, so pretty big changes and it completely affected my golf game.

Once I got past it, which surprisingly didn't take long - I was in such a better place. I accepted the scores and just used it as motivation to get a little bit better every time I played.

Still not practicing as much as I would like, but I am playing more and starting to see the game return.

Regardless of where my game gets back to, I am just happy to be playing.

I can get frustrated like anyone, but try not to let it linger. I've gotten better (hopefully) at reacting with a more cheerful attitude so my playing partners don't get dragged down. We've all had days where a fuming partner throws clubs or yells and it's funny at first but usually brings everyone down by back 9. I don't ever want to be that guy.
I try to compete against myself but also playing small stakes helps me concentrate and enjoy the sport of competition.

I absolutely let it do. It's hard not to for me. I took up golf to fill a competitive void I had in my life so it's hard for me to accept not playing my best.

Not anymore. I realized I'm not that good to be upset, but if I can have fun while playing that's all that matters. Of course i'll pick apart my card and see where I could have done better, but I don't dwell on it or get upset.

I definetly let my game get me down sometimes. I had a couple of good rounds and practices but then this weekend I was not good at all. It affected me way more then it should have.
It will pass eventually but it's just my nature to be dissapointed if I don't perform.

Back in the day it would bother me but now with kids and wife at home I drop it as soon as I enter the garage.

No way. A bad day of golf is still better than a good day at work!

Last edited:
Nope, at least not if I have 1 or 2 disappointing rounds. If it becomes a consistent habit for several rounds I'll just take a break and hit the reset button. Otherwise I'm just going to go out and enjoy the company I'm playing with. Golf isn't my career, it's a game and I don't have enough time to make it more than that.

No, not really. I find any opportunity for golf a blessing. I can see spots in my round where my shots are really good. I chalk my inconsistency up to not playing often enough. But hey, I get my golf when I can and any day with golf is a good day.

Do you let bad days on the course deflate you?

I've come to a point where my game has gotten really inconsistent due to not playing much or practicing and it used to really bother me a lot because I was always measuring myself, I got deflated thinking about how much work went in to the game and how much it takes to keep it going. Realizing it's a game that requires an investment of sorts, I've become ok with the fact that right now I'm simply not able to be competitive. Golf is a game that can deliver some serious butthurt but it's still a game.

Do you let it deflate you when you don't play to your potential or you aren't hitting it well?

my handicap is the highest it has ever been, it is 17. last year I played to a 10. I was playing with six4three5 the other day and we were talking about how bad I was playing golf this year. I must say one thing here, I have lost 190 pounds since March 7th 2015. it has raised hell with the golf swing. I knew it would be work to groove a new swing. it took almost the whole season this year. I did not break 90 until august of this years season. Six4three5 told me, " I may have given up the game if I played like you did at the beginning of the year"

Once I got past the idea of trying to get my old swing back and worked on a new swing, with a lot of help from six4three5, my game is turning around nicely, not where I want to be yet but well on my way to being happy with my game. true , I did get frustrated but I knew it was going to be a lot of work to play at a level I know I can play!

I never get too high when it is good, or low when it is bad. Golf is day to day, even for the best players in the world.

I get disappointed once in awhile if my game goes south, but I don't let it "deflate" me.

If I have a real demoralizing round, where I seem to have forgotten how to hit a golf ball (and I had a few this year) it will cause me to almost be afraid to go out again.

A good round gets me excited to get out again ASAP, a nightmare round has the opposite effect.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

not so much I'm on the course, whether I play good or bad I'm having fun, but I do prefer to hit good shots and play well, and I do get frustrated with bad golf shots and poor play, but I still enjoy the experience overall.

Back