Do you practice putt on previous/just completed hole?

Do you practice putt on the just completed hole?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 13.5%
  • No.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Oh yeah, I need it!

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • No, it's rude.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As long as it doesn't slow play, sure.

Votes: 94 70.7%
  • That's cheating (it's not)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We're allowed to do that?

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
I have played in tournaments where the local rule forbids this. Had a friend once forgot about it and was later DQ after doing it.
Well it's Tournament 101 to check and know any rules/changes for an event, so ultimately that's just a learning experience for him. Assuming a 5.5b modification was stated appropriately by the committee, and that a breach results in DQ, which is odd to me. Something like that is almost always a general penalty on first offense. Strokes or loss of hole.

It is legal unless stated otherwise though.

Well it's Tournament 101 to check and know any rules/changes for an event, so ultimately that's just a learning experience for him. Assuming a 5.5b modification was stated appropriately by the committee, and that a breach results in DQ, which is odd to me. Something like that is almost always a general penalty on first offense. Strokes or loss of hole.
He is a former state am champion and US Mid Am quarterfinalist so he knows his way around tournaments. In this particular tournament, which I played in, the rules official clearly stated the local rules on the first tee. He got a penalty and then the second time it was a DQ. Never knew why he did it the second time except he didn't want to be there. Either way he should have known better.

He is a former state am champion and US Mid Am quarterfinalist so he knows his way around tournaments. In this particular tournament, which I played in, the rules official clearly stated the local rules on the first tee. He got a penalty and then the second time it was a DQ. Never knew why he did it the second time except he didn't want to be there. Either way he should have known better.
Wow. Yeah, that sounds like someone who wanted to go home. That's a shame.

I have played in tournaments where the local rule forbids this. Had a friend once forgot about it and was later DQ after doing it.

Yup...possible. That is 1 of the only 9 things that the tournament committee can make a local rule which is contradictory to the actual rule.

The Committee may require, in the conditions of competition (Rule 33-1)
a. that any driver the player carries must have a clubhead, identified by model and loft, that is named on the current list of Conforming Driver Heads issued by the USGA. (Rule 4-1—Form and Make of clubs)
b. that the ball the player plays must be named on the current listg of Conforming Golf Balls issued by the USGA. -(Rule 5-1—The Ball)
c. prohibit the use of caddies or restrict a player in his choice of caddie. (Rule 6-4— Caddie)
d. For purpose of preventing slow play, establish pace of play guidelines including maximum periods of time allowed to complete a stipulated round, a hole, and a stroke. In both Match Play and Stroke Play, the Committee may modify the penalty for breach of Rule 6-7 (Undue Delay; Slow Play) as set forth in Note 2 to Rule 6-7.
e. prohibit practice on the competition course on any day of match-play competition or permit practice on the competition course or part of the course (Rule 33-2c) on any day of or between rounds of a stroke-play competition. (Rule 7-1)
f. prohibit:
  • Practice on or near the putting green of the hole last played, and
  • Rolling a ball on the putting green of the hole last played. (Rule 7-2)
g. In a team competition permit each team to appoint one person who may give advice (including pointing out a line for putting) to members of that team. The Committee may establish conditions relating to the appointment and permitted conduct of that person, who must be identified to the Committee before giving advice. (Rule 8—Advice)
h. In foursomes competition, may stipulate which partner must play first from the 1st tee. (Decision 33-1/3.5)
i. May restrict the use of golf carts by competitors (Decision 33-1/8)

I will definitely do it if waiting on the group in front of me and there is no one coming up quickly on my tail, it's better than waiting at the next tee box watching and waiting.

Round yesterday where I missed a putt and couldn't make it after the fact (neither one of us could, noted to never be in that spot again lol) reminded me about this thread and a follow up I wanted to do. We definitely stayed and played if you will, looking for other such near impossible putts after a couple holes yesterday instead of rushing back into the group ahead of us.

During actual play? Not very often.

If the same putt fools two or three of the guys in our group we'll sometimes hang around for a minute trying it again, mostly as an excuse to whine about how the hole shouldn't be cut in such an unfair, tricksy spot:giggle: but most often I'm off to the next tee as soon as I get my ball out of the hole.

Of course during a solo practice round I practice putting all the time after "finishing" the hole (not that I necessarily finish each hole when practicing). I'm usually playing behind threesomes and foursomes and if I didn't stick around to chip and putt on most greens I'd be just standing on the tee box working on my deep-breathing exercises and trying to not do the crossed-arms glare at those dummies driving carts in aimless circles ahead of me. :mad:

Reviving this after today's round and some conversation about it at dinner. My friend plays that course a lot more than I do, especially lately but he was pretty convinced that I've actually putted the greens more than he has. Because I 'practice the same putt or other ones every chance' I get. And I can't say I think he's wrong. I feel like I've done it this summer more than ever and that it has had an effect on knowing the greens better making more putts in the end.

If it didn't hold up the group behind and no one in my group minded, or I'd they were trying to give tips and we didn't have anywhere else to be, I can see myself hitting a few more putts. I know my most common playing partners do it when they miss a birdie or eagle just to see if they could hit the putt a second or third time.

If I have a close putt I'm bringing it back. Does it slow down play... No way... Get outta here... Normally do it if we are riding their ass in front or space between group behind. I play fast so an extra putt doesn't cost more time.

Yep - if it doesn’t hold up anyone else.

The rules must have changed since I last read them if this is allowed in stroke play 🤷🏻‍♂️. It used to be that one couldn’t practice on the course the day of a stroke play tournament. Match play has always been fine.

Yep ... this for sure (y)

As long as it doesn't slow play, sure.

I do it, but only when there’s no one behind me and only when I horribly misread a putt or miss a putt that I feel like I should have made.

Occasionally. If we're waiting and there's noone behind, we'll have puttoffs.

The rules must have changed since I last read them if this is allowed in stroke play 🤷🏻‍♂️. It used to be that one couldn’t practice on the course the day of a stroke play tournament. Match play has always been fine.

You are thinking of a totally separate rule. That rule is still in effect. However, that rule means that you cannot go play 9 holes before your 18 hole event; or even go practice on a green or hole before the event starts. Or finish 18 and then go back out to the green you 3 putt on and try it out again in advance of the next 18, 36 or 54 (depending on length of event.

Practice btw. holes is a separate rule.

I don't practice putt before, during, or after a round.

Depends on the course, and only when I'm playing solo (chipping or putting) and then only if hole has no players from tee to green. I'm one of those players who worries about optics.

I had a course Marshall go full meltdown on me once about 20 years ago on the 4th hole at Stumpy Lake for chipping a few balls from the rough behind the green. It was a cold and drizzly November afternoon. Parking lot was almost completely empty. There were probably only 5-6 die hards like myself out on the entire course. The old guy was loudly throwing out one sarcasm and insult after another and this went on for at least a full minute. He followed me for the next 2 holes, parking at the tee boxes after I hit off. To this day it still bugs me, but I take some pride in the fact that I remained completely polite, as much as I wanted to go back up to him and pull his skivvies up over his ears.

I play a lot on weekend afternoons which are very quiet at my club. If nobody is behind me I’ll do it if I’m putting horribly.

Occasionally, if it does not delay play.

No. Just don’t like doing it.

Only time I might is a super slow round, even then, im more likely to play a game of chip on the next tee box than to stay on a green.

Bumping this tee see if there's any new responses.

I got to work a few pins today after misreads. Just tricky locations I had never seen, and lower light, green (color) starting to fade off the grain on the greens, etc, just got me a couple times. I feel like it's pretty valuable to get some work in and log things to memory when I get the chance.

Yes, I do this often. Usually, it's more than one attempt and oftentimes I'll place a ball near the target I envisioned on approach to see how much better or worse my desired position was. I sometimes have trouble picking a target on the green so I find this 'drill' will give me a confirmation that I picked the right spot, or not. It definitely helps since I've been playing the same 4-5 courses all season.

I'm almost always playing as a solo and I'm a relatively quick golfer so I'd much rather practice my green reading and putting than sit around in the cart twiddling my thumbs.

I started doing this whenever I'm stuck behind a slow group. I figure it is better to be waiting on the green behind them than on the tee behind them.
I play in the early afternoon when there aren't many golfers but I'll often run into a slow group as it is an executive course for beginners and seniors.

Back