Do you practice putt on previous/just completed hole?

Do you practice putt on the just completed hole?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 13.5%
  • No.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Oh yeah, I need it!

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • No, it's rude.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As long as it doesn't slow play, sure.

Votes: 94 70.7%
  • That's cheating (it's not)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We're allowed to do that?

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
If I barely miss a 5 footer I will rake it and retry it. It is also a different story when it is backed up on a tee.

Do you think they would have played fractionally faster if you were up, noticeably waiting on them even more?

I should add that even though it was slow (to me), I still finished 9 in about 2hrs so it wasn't all that bad but the last 3 holes were particularly slow but it made for some fun practice shots after my first shots (luckily, only a few were train wrecks) ... I don't like the range so getting to practice course is nice when I am able to...

His take was that people shouldn't. Me specifically. lol That it creates a trickle down effect on pace and it slows play regardless of who's in front or behind. He had a whole thing that was pretty well thought out about how most people will take any time they deem available. So even if you're going to wait at the tee and there's no one behind you, seems fine to putt, but the people not seeing you roll up on the next tee will take longer with you not being there.

I disagree in a general sense and roll putts a lot to build the database and figure things out, especially if it's new to me. Anyone that has played a lot of tournaments and practice rounds leading up to them, or obsesses about approach strategy tends to want to know what putts will do from anywhere/everywhere, and I totally get that. Roll on.

I can't say I disagree with some of the assertions though, because my on course observations of pace pressure on people's actions do support some of what he was saying.

Well...this is only me, I have yet to ever play a round of golf where ALL 4 of us took additional chips/putts on a hole. So, except in rare instances, part of the group is on the next tee "being seen by the group in front". If solo or 2-some, possibly, but then in that case the group in front should let them through :).

Also, I have rarely felt that the group in front is looking back at me on the tee box and reacting by speeding up, (except in a rare instance where they may have been addressed by a marshall).

Finally, myself don't ever recall looking back at the tee box 'casually' and speeding up because someone was rolling up or there - UNLESS I knew we were behind.

Nope...never have....never will

Looks like I'm in the majority - I'll do it as long as no one is waiting to hit up. Anyone that putts while others are waiting to hit up is a complete Richard IMO...

I typically don't....it's not that I find it rude or anything, I just usually don't. If I do it's usually because there's no one behind us pushing and some of the courses around where I live, don't have a decent (or any) practice green. So, if they do it's usually rolling slower than the 1st green.

Occasionally I will as long as there is no hold up. Usually only when I’m baffled by a putt though.

I don’t when keeping score. Didn’t know it was legal. I will in the future when the situation allows.
I also thought any kind of practice shot/putt was against the rules for stroke play. I'm not a rules nazi and have certainly done it many times, but always thought it was just one of those rules that we all break.

i usually only do if it was a missed putt and i want to try again and it's not slowing down play

I have anywhere between 1-4 balls in my pocket and play a lot by myself. When it’s empty I’ll play my first shot for score, but I have NO problems pulling a second or even a third ball out of my pocket for practice anywhere on the course especially around and on the greens when the course is empty. I don’t see the harm in it what so ever. I’ve run up on other singles with no one behind me and I hate pushing them and most of the time I’m not in a rush so why rush them. I’ll take a few tee shots on a par 3, hit an off approach shot and drop another, chip a couple from just off and then finish those putts. If it’s empty go for it, you’re not affecting anyone else's pace and you’re getting extra shots it.

If I’m playing with others, not so much, but I still will as long as it isn’t affecting the group.

I often play as a single and almost exclusively on the weekends. It's not uncommon for me to play through several groups (permission granted, of course) but it's inevitable that I reach a point that playing through is not an option because you eventually hit that "bottleneck" group (or groups) that are setting the pace for the entire course.

In those situations, I often hit practice putts or chips while waiting on the group directly in front of me. I never hold up the group behind me. I keep an eye out and once I see the first cart or walker come ambling down he fairway, I move along before they ever even get to their ball. I see no harm in it at all.

Heck yes, that second dude is a hell of a golfer! I usually only do it if I've missed a putt and I'm perplexed by what just occurred. I'll also do it early in a round to get a better idea of what speeds are like.

His take was that people shouldn't. Me specifically. lol That it creates a trickle down effect on pace and it slows play regardless of who's in front or behind. He had a whole thing that was pretty well thought out about how most people will take any time they deem available. So even if you're going to wait at the tee and there's no one behind you, seems fine to putt, but the people not seeing you roll up on the next tee will take longer with you not being there.

I disagree in a general sense and roll putts a lot to build the database and figure things out, especially if it's new to me. Anyone that has played a lot of tournaments and practice rounds leading up to them, or obsesses about approach strategy tends to want to know what putts will do from anywhere/everywhere, and I totally get that. Roll on.

I can't say I disagree with some of the assertions though, because my on course observations of pace pressure on people's actions do support some of what he was saying.

My counter argument to the fellow you played with is that I find a large majority of broups don’t give a rat’s *ss if you are on their tale and it takes about 5-6 holes of you walking up to the tee box before they relent and let you play through.

The sad part is there is typically a couple of holes wide open ahead of them and once you are by them, it is smooth sailing. At my home course, I have at extreme times called the clubhouse and they can see any gaps and if off pace, will send multiple messages directly to their cart’s screen telling them to pickup the pace. I have only had to call a second time once but don’t know what the message was that was sent but on one hole all of a sudden they played like Jack rabbits and never had an issue after that. That day there must have been a 3-4 hole gap in front of them. It typically not an issue but when walking in direct sun and it’s’ +85* I start to get a little antsy.

Absolutely! As long as it does not slow up play & there isn't anyone waiting in the fairway to hit. Especially if there are groups waiting on the next tee

If it was a putt I feel like I should have made...absolutely I do. I might even roll it a couple times as long as no one is waiting for the green

I do it once in a while but mainly if I've missed a short one that I can rake back and re-hit quickly. I agree that if playing as a single it usually involves waiting and if I have no one behind me I tend to pick one or two holes where I practise plenty of putting, bunker, chipping to create some separation and then move on at a better pace.

TBH, I always thought in stroke play it was not allowed to practice putting between holes(5.5b mentioned above clearly states otherwise). Is there a rule on the PGA Tour that prohibits this as I never see anyone practise but then e.g. Ryder Cup they do it all the time?

If no one behind me and I grossly missed a putt, I'll take a practice redo.

Usually No, But on occasion I might!

I absolutely never do this. However, when it's slow play and no one is behind us. My golf partners and I will have a closest to pin contest from the longest and hardest putt on the green. But never re-putt a putt I have missed.

I absolutely never do this. However, when it's slow play and no one is behind us. My golf partners and I will have a closest to pin contest from the longest and hardest putt on the green. But never re-putt a putt I have missed.
So for you and the others that don't, why don't you?

I wouldn't really consider it "practice". It's more of a "why did that putt do that?" Every now and then there's a line on a green that you just have to try and figure out, provided doing so isn't delaying another group.

To you playing partner's point, I don't think being "noticeable" to the group in front has ANY influence on how quickly they play.

So for you and the others that don't, why don't you?

The reason I don't is simple. You always make it the second time, when it doesn't count. :LOL::ROFLMAO:(y)

Nope, don't see the need. I either misread the put or misjudged the speed. It's on me....accept it and move on. I may look around and see if a bigger influence caused the break but that's about it.

Back