No quitting here. I may use the round to take some extra chances or play a shot I normally wouldn't though.

If i start like that im thinking just a couple of birdies and im back in it or a string of par's to stop the bleeding. Case in point my club champs final a couple of years ago in match play, i was down 5 after 6 holes, it was a 36 hole final, i never gave up and grinded back to win the match 2/1.
I just think if it starts like that there are plenty more holes left to make them back up.

I always golf to have fun!!

Sometimes I have more fun than others. But I know, deep in my heart, that two or three good shots in a row can change my entire round (ask v.man - Pittsburgh, hole #16).

However, I always post my scores, good or bad. I never mail it in.

Last edited:
I may indulge in a few beverages if the round is going south but I definitely don't quit and I don't tank the entire round. A few beverages usually lightens the mood and sometimes provides the needed swing oil to right the ship.

I've done both. If the wheels really come off I toss the card and try to put them back on, but I don't carry an official handicap so it doesn't really matter either way. If I'm playing with others I hang in there and try to pull it out of the fire, or just take my lumps.

Never quit here. May never turn it around, but will never ever think that the next shot won't be good.

Yep I sure do.

It absolutely pisses me off too. It's something I have always fought with.

The only time I've ever quit is because of weather or darkness.

I played my first two rounds of competitive golf since high school this summer (~14 years). I was nervous as hell and played terribly. I wanted to quit so bad about 11 holes into the first day and was really close to not showing up for the 2nd round. I played almost as bad the 2nd day but learned an awful lot about myself. I'm already looking forward to my next tournament.

I'm a grinder. But I admit, there have been a few occasions that a round got so bad that it became comical. I never, ever quit, but that is usually when I relax and then suddenly the game turns around.

Never, NEVER quit. I grind it out until the bitter end. More times than not, a bad start to a round focuses and motivates me to turn it around. I don't keep many scorecards, but the ones I do are where I score a 7 (triple) and then an 8 (triple) and then a 2 (birdie)--which just so happened to be last weekend when I finished that round +1 over the last 7 holes.

I focus on he next shot and don't let the past hole bug me. The next shot and hole may start a par/birdie run.

Never. The golf course is the best place to work on my swing, and regardless of results, I need to make the most of that opportunity.

I went through playing with a swing change that would go in and out on me, so not many situations on the course can be worse than that.

Keep grinding.

No matter the start, I keep going as hard and long as I can. There have been times before where I get more aggressive on 18 in hopes of ending the pain, though.

In a casual round, once I determine I have no chance to break 80, then I go into practice mode or "birdies or nothing" mode. I don't quit, but my mindset definitely changes to a more free-wheeling one. Though I do try to learn from every round.

Pardon me for not reading this entire thread but I don't quit. very recently I started off Triple, double, double. A plus 7 after 3 darn holes. What can ya do? It happens and I try to get it back. I know it wont be a PB or probably even close but a decent round is still possible. Its frustrating to start off that way because you know you just burned all you can burn in order to still have a decent round and to be honest even though I will get teed off I try to laugh at it and it helps me still enjoy and move past it.

The other part to this (perhaps its been mentioned) is if one is running a cap (which I do) if you often quit after a bad start your not really being honest with your cap. A cap should also include your bad rounds. I have on rare occasion quit but only after one of those rare days when striking a ball has completely left my ability and its so bad that there is nothing to do except to try to even hit a friggin ball. So very bad that I even left at the turn. But this is not common and only the rarest of days. Outside of that rare really outrageous kind of brain fart and complete collapse I will normally play on through my worst rounds and if it means posting a 98 or a 102 whatever, than so be it. I don't play in official events but I want to see my cap improve and I don't want it to improve if I am not honest with all my rounds.

I grind it out for 9 holes and if it still has not come around then it is all fun and I will start trying different shots.

Ill ask again because I think a few missed it, but if the guys that pretty much kill it and play for fun and stop keeping score when things are not going well, how accurate do they think their handicap is? Genuine question. Ill add do people that do not feel their handicap travels, do you think this is one of the reasons?

But I have to say if it's something like a match tournament, that's an entirely different ball game. You can lose a hole by four strokes and its the same as losing by one. It's a lot easier to get your head back in the game. I was down 4 holes after 9 in one last year and almost won my match. I missed a six foot par putt on 17. Thing was I got all the strokes on the front 9 and didn't need any strokes on the back. A long hitter is never out of a match.

I'll never quit, no matter how bad I play. The other day I was 5 over on the front nine and shot -1 on the back. What started out as a bad round turned out to be a pretty good round after all.

Ill ask again because I think a few missed it, but if the guys that pretty much kill it and play for fun and stop keeping score when things are not going well, how accurate do they think their handicap is? Genuine question. Ill add do people that do not feel their handicap travels, do you think this is one of the reasons?
In the UK you only count tournament and competition rounds toward your handicap. You don't count your practice and non-competition rounds. I think their system is a lot more accurate than ours. If you're in a league you count your those rounds.

For example, my Thursday afternoon rounds I would not count regardless if I shot my personal best or my personal worst, but my Tuesday morning league rounds would be counted. Any tournament I entered would have that round counted.

The USGA wants us to count all of our rounds. This give us no real "practice" on the course. Pros get to practice on the course out from under the watchful eye of the USGA. See practice rounds can take the form of using multiple balls on holes which mean not under ROG, and that means writing Par + HC for any hole that is not played strictly under ROG according to the USGA Handicap Manual Rule 4. Now for a practice round that could end up as 72 + (your course HC) for the round entered into GHIN. Seriously? It just shows that you played a round that day. It's for their statistics keeping to see how active their members are.

Keep playing, and make sure I post the score :)

In the UK you only count tournament and competition rounds toward your handicap. You don't count your practice and non-competition rounds. I think their system is a lot more accurate than ours. If you're in a league you count your those rounds.

For example, my Thursday afternoon rounds I would not count regardless if I shot my personal best or my personal worst, but my Tuesday morning league rounds would be counted. Any tournament I entered would have that round counted.

The USGA wants us to count all of our rounds. This give us no real "practice" on the course. Pros get to practice on the course out from under the watchful eye of the USGA. See practice rounds can take the form of using multiple balls on holes which mean not under ROG, and that means writing Par + HC for any hole that is not played strictly under ROG according to the USGA Handicap Manual Rule 4. Now for a practice round that could end up as 72 + (your course HC) for the round entered into GHIN. Seriously? It just shows that you played a round that day. It's for their statistics keeping to see how active their members are.

But wouldn't a simple answer be for one to decide prior to playing his casual round that he wants this to be a practice round? of course the whole thing is based on the honor system but it is what it is. Perhaps during a practice round one might differ in decisions from a round they wish to post. For one who plays often enough in competitive situations and simply wants a practice round. They then simply decide before hand (to themselves) this round will not count. But playing and then deciding only after things are not going well that it then becomes practice and doing that often imo is wrong to do. Of course no one will care because his/her cap would be lower than it actually is and the only one getting hurt is this person while it benefits the others he/she is playing against.

I think it should be obvious if one did this often enough then their cap would be somewhat a vanity cap and probably hurting themselves.

I guess it depends on the round for me. If I'm just going out to play for nothing and I have a few bad holes to start I'll probably pack it in and turn it into a full practice round. If there's anything on the line or I'm playing with others I'll try and claw and grind my way back and salvage the round.

Do You Quit?

I guess I misunderstood .

I very rarely quit and stop keeping score . I guess I interpreted it as if I start poorly my score directly reflects that . I "quit " on the round and just stop caring .

I'm not gonna lie and say I have never stopped keeping score but it happens maybe once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back