Do you remove adjustable heads for airline travel?

The reason to turn the shafts upside down is because the adapters could scratch irons or hybrids that do not feature removable heads. The grip side is softer and therefore offers a bit less risk to scratching.
I travel more than most, I do take the heads off and put them in a side pocket. I do not use a stiff arm.

I used to worry, then I bought a hard case. It’s been great, warrantied for up to $2000 damage. It has TSA locks on it. Have to get a little bigger rental car because of the size, but well worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the glider travel bag, remove all adjustable heads, place them in their head covers and usually go in my carry on or backpack, for peace of mind I use a stiff arm. Use either iron covers or towels to wrap the irons

I don’t remove the heads but I do use a ski pole that’s a couple inches longer than my driver to take any impact the bag may take during travel. I’ve had zero damage using this method.

I take adjustable heads off and bring them in my carry on, stiff arm goes in the bag, shafts go back in upside down and neoprene covers on my irons.

I did remove the driver head when I went to FL for the Titleist Ultimate Club Test. I did not remove it for the return flights, 3 stops in all, and it came through unscathed. After all the return flights and transfers I don't think it is necessary. But do what you think is best for you.

I always remove the heads and put inside headcovers. I usually throw them in my backpack carry on instead of putting them in the bag. Shafts go tip down inside the bag as I would think that offers more protection for the tip down there. I do used a stiff arm as well. I used to wrap towels around the irons to keep from banging around but I have found TSA just messes all my hard work up anyways and its just a waste of time. Once in ATL I found my one of a kind PX shaft in a different area in the top of the bag AND flipped upside down so the tip was up. Thankfully nothing happened but I was not happy when I saw that.

For the guys who put the heads in there carry on. Do they usually pull you aside and have to go through additional screening as you walk through security? Just seems like TSA would want to see what the metal was inside your carry on.

Btw I always remove the heads put them inside the cover and and place them in the large pocket.

I just pop the heads, put them in their headcover and store them in a pocket on the bag. As far as the shafts, I pad the top of the bag as best I can in case it does fall head first and then just hope for the best. Nothing broken yet!

Exactly what I do and place the shafts tip down in case the gentle bag handlers dont take the care they should. It's never happened, but heard stories of guys taking off the heads only to have the tip of the shafts broken.

For the guys who put the heads in there carry on. Do they usually pull you aside and have to go through additional screening as you walk through security? Just seems like TSA would want to see what the metal was inside your carry on.

Btw I always remove the heads put them inside the cover and and place them in the large pocket.

I have never had additional screening from taking the heads in my backpack, just put on it on the conveyor belt and it comes out the other side

Heads removed and in cover in carry on
Shaft upside down and tip taped
Iron covers on irons
Stiff Arm in middle of bag

On a return trip from an event the Stiff Arm head was busted to a point the swivel screw was the only thing attached to the pole. Sent an email to the vendor and had a replacement top in 3 days. No clubs were harmed but will not travel without the Stiff Arm.

As someone who doesn't have a golf travel case yet - is it a better investment to just buy a hard shell case? What are the downsides to them and why do so many not go with hard shells?

As someone who doesn't have a golf travel case yet - is it a better investment to just buy a hard shell case? What are the downsides to them and why do so many not go with hard shells?

Fitting a hard shell case in a tight space is impossible. Soft cases will fit in more places.

The reason to turn the shafts upside down is because the adapters could scratch irons or hybrids that do not feature removable heads. The grip side is softer and therefore offers a bit less risk to scratching.
I travel more than most, I do take the heads off and put them in a side pocket. I do not use a stiff arm.

That makes sense...someone also pointed out he's heard of tips being broken by TSA protection and this helps.

Ok, guys, thanks for the many useful posts.

I'm now convinced and will take off the heads, tips covered with masking tape and upside down, rain cover on and padding under the rain cover.

I also was reminded from a recent post that one of our travel arms was damaged a year or two ago and we replaced it.
My last trip to Maui October 2017 the baggage handlers put the golf bags with the rest of luggage on the chute that goes down to the luggage carousel with a big drop, and few of them went heads first!
The airline assured me they will look into preventing that for the future. While the bags are just on a level carousel this trip, that one experience is a reminder that minimum wage or so guys lifting luggage all day aren't necessarily the brains trust or careful.

So:
Heads go in my well-padded Rose & Fire covers. Edit: my three wood heads just fit in a zippered section of the carry-on so they are going in there with a touch more padding. Bag looks super compact and much more secure now with with the heads off. Sure glad I asked the question and thanks again for all the replies. Snow is falling now so I'm extra glad to get out of Dodge on Sunday.

I use Club Glove Gloveskin covers on my irons. I usually rub my forged irons heads with Rem Oil or WD 40 before I pack them for flying -at least outbound- for trapped moisture protection as they may be sitting like that for a while. Probably overkill, but certainly a lot of temperature changes and my clubs often get transported in the rain in Vancouver.

Last edited:

There is a lenghty thread in this Forum on the subject with recent posts that got me starting this sub-topic thread. Look for Best Travel Bag.

Never been pulled aside but the last trip I made the tsa agent was puzzled by them and called a supervisor over to look. That and the RFID wallet I had gave them trouble too. After a second pass thru they let them go

Yes. Stiff arm in the bag with driver 3w and rescue heads off in head covers on pockets and towels wrapped around shaft tips.

Curious as to why you don't use a stiff arm JB.

I travel quite a bit and always try to bring my golf set with me if possible. Gave up using travel bags a long time ago. Just a cheap and light stand bag with half a set of clubs. Only wood I bring is my driver and I always remove the head, stuff it in its headcover and put it in the pocket of the standbag. Never had any problems.
Just don't forget to bring along the wrench!

Back