Do You Talk About Your Equipment?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I was talking to a group of golfers at our course and they love to talk about equipment after the round. I realized that we have a forum full of over 7.5 million posts (thanks THPers) and many people do not talk about their equipment on the forum as they play throughout the year.

So my question to you is do you? And if not, how come?

No right or wrong answer obviously, just genuinely curious about what people like to talk about and why.

I really don't talk about my equipment much, except for on THP.

I think the biggest reason is that my normal playing partners don't really care about equipment releases at all. They mostly play gear that is 3-5 years old, maybe even older, and don't really keep up with new releases, so it just isn't common ground I share with the guys I tee it up with.

I think I do more so hear if I talk about it, and maybe with a select few people off line, but usually when I'm out with friends playing that aren't THPers we tend to talk about life in general moreso than anything else.

I don't talk about my gear (much) because I don't know what to really say. It's hard to talk about starter level gear when the majority of people on the forum are always talking about the latest and greatest and (for example) the difference between the T100 and T100s - shot profile, top shape etc.

I would like to talk more about the B21 driver, really the settings on it as it's performed wonderfully for me but I don't know if the internet would really give me a solution for what I've done or if the lessons have given me the best options for my current swing and we'll just leave it like that. For example, how would I know I need to change the settings - that sounds like more of a lesson question than a forum question.

I'll be getting a putter in 2 months here, but that will also come from a fitting - there will be good options here on the forum, but I need to find something that fits for me.

The gear that I'm personally more inclined to talk about, or learn more about, is the non club parts. If that makes sense, those are more personal and less fit centered which can open up a lot more discussion and back and forth.

It’s a common topic with my group. Especially if somebody has a new club or is considering a change. With a new club it’s Show and tell and everyone wants to take a few swings with it on the range before we tee off. We are all pretty content with our gear at the moment so less so lately. But that can change quickly. ;)

Honestly I probably talk TO my equipment more than I talk ABOUT it.

To piggyback on what @Daluteh mentioned, a lot of my gear is older so it doesn't hold much interest. It's almost 2022, I don't think anyone wants to talk about Baffler XL irons or Great Big Bertha fairways :ROFLMAO: I'd rather talk about what newer gear I want to replace all those clubs with.

Originally, I thought you asked, do you talk to your equipment, @JB. And my answer was coming on here to answer - it depends on how they are behaving.... but talking about equipment? All the time. When my family wants to find me at night, it's either at my computer on THP, in my garage cleaning, prepping equipment, or putting somewhere on a mat.

Our friends think I'm a bit weird... the feeling is mutual ;)

I rarely talk about my equipment. I find the average golfer I encounter on a public golf course would barely be able to tell me what brand all of their clubs are from top to bottom within their bag. I don't' want to be arrogant, but I just know far more than the average golfer when it comes to this topic. There's just no dialog to really be had. There's no chance for example even my buddies could tell me what shafts are in their clubs or even what flex they are without going out to look at them.

I talk equipment with a few of my regular playing partners, but most of them are casual golfers who play once or twice a month and are still playing the first sets they bought out of college. Equipment isn’t much of a conversation piece for them.

Generally only when I on THP away from the course. Unless I am at a THP Experience, using my phone is the furthest thing from my mind while I am playing.

Well all of the guys I play with enjoy talking about equipment & especially my equipment. When we first started playing most were playing with older irons, drivers, etc. & over the last 6 months, most are showing up to the tee box with new shiny equipment.

I am still trying to get most to take part in this amazing community, but for some I think are scared of the internet. 🤷‍♂️

Depends on the audience. When playing with my step dad or father in law there isn't much equipment talk. Playing with guys my age there can often be quite a lot.
Always try to bring feedback to the forum as well for the first month or so when I've started using something new. Sometimes my "new" item is 2 years old and I feel like no one cares by that point though :ROFLMAO:

I talk about it pretty regularly because it is a conversation piece. Black irons with black shafts, custom driver shaft with my name on it, skeleton head cover..
... people like to ask about it.

I do talk about my equipment with the guys I regularly play with. The one I play with most is starting to get the equipment bug because of me. But I also let him try out of new stuff that I've bought, or had the opportunity to test through THP. I enjoy sharing, but only if the other person cares to listen. I'm not going to go on and on without some genuine back and forth conversation.

I'm a pretty big equipment guy, I really love testing new things, probably almost as much as actually playing. My friends are not. They only buy new gear, when I offer them something of mine for a huge discount. I offer insight to gear time to time, but really they only talk about it when we get to first tee,. They like to rib me for having an entirely new bag every round ( which for 2021 was entirely accurate).

I find the bulk of golfers don't care about equipment, most are just glad to be on the course.

I talk about equipment here on THP more than anywhere else. I do a lot more reading about it than talking about it, simply because I don't have access to a lot of different clubs, shafts, etc., so a lot of times I don't have much to offer in the conversation. I enjoy testing new stuff and I'm more than happy to participate in discussions about gear I own and/or am reviewing, it's just a much smaller subset of the gear world than a lot of people here.

Outside of THP, one of my golf buddies is a club ho and he and I talk about gear often. Most of the other guys I golf with don't really have much interest and just play what they have in their bags.

I feel like most skimmed this thread :ROFLMAO:

It says "many people do not talk about their equipment on the forum as they play throughout the year."

Oh yeah I do. I’m a club junkie

I love talking about equipment on the course. It's interesting to hear what different skill levels think about different equipment. I also love seeing people try equipment in playing to get their feedback and how it works for them. It's been pretty cool seeing my buddies make a few purchases because of hitting something I had in the bag.

I talk about it quite a bit, but usually to the tune of eyerolls from my buddies. It's hard to rave about how awesome gear is when I'm such a mediocre golfer. Many guys I play with are similar to me in level, and many of them that are much better are playing considerably older equipment. If I somehow showed up next year and was playing substantially better they might be more interested in what I had to say about my equipment :LOL:

i don't initiate gear talk while playing but i will most certainly entertain and continue that kind of talk.

Before I took my break from golf, I was a member of a forum (that no longer exists) and I talked about equipment a lot. I feel like I knew what I was talking about, was pretty into components and club building, but in my 10 years off I feel like I lost every bit of knowledge that I had.

I think I'm in the learning mode currently, so I don't add to equipment conversation as much as I would like to.

TBH, it almost never comes up with the guys I play with. Maybe the odd "I should check on a new (driver, Irons, putter)..." "Yeah, probably..."

And that's about it. Occasionally, when I'm out solo getting paired up, somebody will comment about what they're playing, or they're breaking in a new club, etc...

Yes I enjoy talking about it, especially early on. New and shiny is fun to talk about. I do think it gets harder as time goes on as I feel often it’s just repeating the same thing. But new clubs and technology is fun.

Back