Does a Name Matter?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously in the grand scheme of things it does not, as companies deal with landmines of copyright and IP, but to you personally do you prefer your equipment to have a name?

Conversation in one of the shaft threads about how great one of the names was got me thinking about yesteryear when drivers had names such as Big Bertha, Killer Whale, The Judge, Howitzer, etc etc etc.

Some companies still go down this path, while others go completely alpha numeric and while to me it lacks creativity, it does give an easy path to understand what is new and what isn't.

So what are your thoughts? Do you prefer a name?

Naaa. Do not care.

Show me performance and you can call it the Enuculator 4000.

I think names can be hard. Possibly like tag lines and other forms of creativity. Rather than possibly put people off by a name, alpha numeric might be the safer option. For me, I prefer alpha numeric so I’m not the one put off by a weird name on a club that I like.

Yes overall, but not for me.

A name wouldn’t get me to play a club and probably wouldn’t get me to not play a club unless it was a reaaaaaallllllyyyyy bad name. But if the results were there, I’d probably still game it. I only look for ways to differentiate between clubs for the purpose of conversation.

Not necessarily. I guess I do prefer an easy way to cipher through versions and progressive changes from club to club. You know which Titleist driver was the most current. Well, until they changed their naming convention recently haha. But, names are fine. I am a gear head and follow pretty much all of the releases so it doesn't really effect me. I wouldn't let a name steer me away from a club. If it performs and checks my boxes, it has a chance.

I can appreciate both sides of the fence. I as slightly OCD do appreciate a naming scheme that is consistent and communicates the difference down a full lineup of offerings. Be it and Alpha Numeric code that or naming as long as some key words are used consistently. Its nice to know which are draw biased or more players club simply by the name.

prefer, yes.

necessary, in the end, no.

honestly, if it's a good product, the more outlandish the better. give me more hulks, Rads and Rocketballz.

my biggest dislike is when product lines are numerical but "out of order" like the titleist irons recently. or ping always skipping around in number schemes.

I would love a list of all the names that you wonder, how did they say thats the one? Bet there's some real giggles to be had

I think a name matters in the grand scheme of things. For me, it draws me to the equipment because it either puts a story to the piece of equipment or ties it to a company in general. I mean overall it really shouldn't matter, but it draws your consumers in and gives them a story to tell.

I was never going to own a Rocketballz club but other than that.....

I prefer a name to numbers but it has to be so hard to come up with a good one

I can think I don't care, and if the name is OK I won't, but I have to admit I will think less of a club with a silly name, like Rocketballz.

I think I'd order it like this: (1) A Good name, (2) Numbers, (3) A Bad Name.

I think names DO matter to some people.

I do not happen to be one of them though

I miss the names, they were fun.

The influence of a name is fleeting to me. I usually have an initially reaction (good or bad), but quickly dismiss it and look to the features/performance.

Club names, good or bad, don't bother me. With that said I do prefer alpha numeric naming.

I don't think a name would convince me to buy something, but it would definitely convince me to NOT buy something.
This is true too. It makes me think of those chipper putter things you see the commercials for on the golf channel, lol. I also think of PXG when thinking of this question. Not necessarily the name per say, but I feel like when one talks about a PXG product, they should yell whatever they are saying because of their commercials, haha.

The influence of a name is fleeting to me. I usually have an initially reaction (good or bad), but quickly dismiss it and look to the features/performance.

Its interesting how a name wouldn't impact to most here, yet looks would, which usually coincides with the name on it. :D

Only if it was an objectionable name.

Its interesting how a name wouldn't impact to most here, yet looks would, which usually coincides with the name on it. :D
Looks are fleeting to me too. I thought the Epic Flash was the ugliest thing going on first glance. Now I think it's glorious as it works for me!

I think names DO matter to some people.

I do not happen to be one of them though
A company named themselves trying to convince you their products were MADE for you.

....and you ignore them

Back