Drawing Golf Pros

Dan McClellan

Reaction score
Handicap
Something I've been doing this summer with a bit more free time is portrait art. I started with some of the golf pros I follow on Twitter. One of them actually bought one of the pieces from me. Here are a couple recent ones [and this is not an advertisement--these drawings are not for sale]:

AysC4jICIAALNAP.jpg

AwGISLSCAAEQ3uJ.png:large

Anyone else an artist or like to dabble? Anyone have golf artwork they really like?

Wow. Awesome Dan. I am no artist but I love this style.

Is that pencil? Charcoal? Something else entirely?

Good work. I like art that you don't have to guess what the heck it is!

Wow those are great.

I'm impressed Dan!

Would you say that portraits are especially difficult when the subject is so well known?

Those are really cool !!!! Now lets say some one was interested in purchasing one how would a person go about that i'am just sayin????

Wow. Awesome Dan. I am no artist but I love this style.

Is that pencil? Charcoal? Something else entirely?

Thanks! For Luke all I used was a regular old number 2 pencil. Rickie was done in charcoal.

Good work. I like art that you don't have to guess what the heck it is!

Thanks, Smallville. That's the most humiliating thing when you're drawing a portrait: "Who's that supposed to be?"

Just curious. Was it Luke who bought the portrait from you? I know he is an artist also and I wanted to buy his work when I saw it on TV.

Sent from my GtabComb using Tapatalk 2

Those look great Dan.
I can draw a awesome noodle lol.

Those are awesome. A local artist did a portrait of our daughter like these years ago. I love this style.

I'm impressed Dan!

Would you say that portraits are especially difficult when the subject is so well known?

Thank you SharkHat. Regarding your question, it depends. Some people are detail freaks and will nitpick about things when the subject is well known. On the other hand, some people are less concerned with detail, and any degree of resemblance makes a well-known person recognizable. It's much more important in my mind to get the resemblance down perfectly if the person is not someone others will immediately recognize.

Great work! Show us more if you do more drawings in the future

Dan, that is awesome. I would also love to see more as you do them. Those are great man!

Those are really cool !!!! Now lets say some one was interested in purchasing one how would a person go about that i'am just sayin????

Thanks, 99srxman! I would suggest that someone who wanted to commission something get in touch with me off-board.

Just curious. Was it Luke who bought the portrait from you? I know he is an artist also and I wanted to buy his work when I saw it on TV.

Sent from my GtabComb using Tapatalk 2

No, it wasn't Luke. I just did that one today, and I didn't know he was an artist. That's interesting. It was actually Fowler who got in touch with me about the sketch after I put it on Twitter.

I'm happy to add some more as I do them. I've found Twitter is an amazing medium for artwork, so I try to put something up every few days. For fun, here are some non-golf related drawings I happen to have in digital format:

This is Juancito, a little kid I knew when I lived in Uruguay.

59547_434535002884_8089977_n.jpg

Samuel Beckett:

59547_434535007884_7270091_n.jpg

J.D. and Turk:

AxvOmnBCIAAWu_W.jpg:large

Kurt Cobain:

Aw1jDfeCAAIkqXf.jpg:large

You have got some serious talent. I could look at these all night:popcorn:

You have got some serious talent. I could look at these all night:popcorn:

Thanks, man! I really like the one of Cobain. I started by coloring the whole page black with a stick of charcoal and then erasing the portions I wanted to show up. It took some time and my hands got filthy, but I just love the texture and the contrast of the piece.

Dude, those are incredible! Great work Dan..

Wow! Very nice work.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Dude! Those are awesome, very impressed. I'm half tempted to send you money and a picture and ask you to draw me so I could hang it in my bedroom/at the office.

Damn you've got some serious talent! Nice work

The Cobain one is rad. Really well done.

Dude, those are incredible! Great work Dan..

Thanks, Bum! I've not been doing any artwork for a few years, but I thought I'd get back into it. Forgot how much I enjoy it.

Back