Driver Club Head Speed?

I don't know that I have ever had mine actually measured by a reliable device, but 100 ish seems about right based on what I see. My numbers can vary wildly between 95 and 112 between sim and LM. To me this thread begs the question: What is the most accurate way to measure club head speed?

100-105 based on the GC2 at the Golf Mart.

Last edited:
Using the Swingbyte it usually gives me between 97-100. I have no idea how accurate Swingbyte is though.

105 if I get a little antsy, 102-103 if I smooth it out.

No idea.

I honestly don't know anymore. I've been measured on different LMs including Flightscope and Trackman, between 105 and 118. My typical SS was between 108 and 113, but I think I have lost quite a bit of speed over the last two years. If I had to guess right now I would say 105.

I measured it a couple times on simulators and range/demo days, but I always felt like it changed a bit each time I've done it the last few years, around 98ish.

Between 95-100 per Trackman.

103 avg. at my last fitting at a PGA Superstore.

In the 90s according to swingbyte 2.0

My stock speed is 107. On out of sync days it can get down to 102 or so. On days when I feel like I am swinging a whip it can get to 113 or so. How effectively I use that speed is another matter.

On devices that measure club head speed directly it is pretty consistent over time. I have used devices that measure off the shaft/butt end as well and those are in the right range. Lots of accurate consumer devices are now available to the average Joe.

At one time I was interested in SS. Ball speed/Launch Angle/Spin are really the modern factors measurable that matter to me. A guy @ 100 SS can launch the ball @ 150 with good contact. A guy @ 110 SS can launch the ball @ 150 with bad contact. In the next few years better info will be available to the average guy and high tech golf industry will be on to something else. Which is great. I love to learn about the swing and the physics that come into play. Kids starting now have a huge knowledge base at their finger tips. The Flight Laws alone are a leap from old school thought.

Where I have learned the most from launch monitors is in flighting wedges and spin rates. That is that part of the game I currently have the most interest in. To get ball speed, launch angle and spin consistent in the wedge game is huge for scoring. If I hit it 5 yards longer with the driver that is great. If I can hit it 5 yards closer to the pin with wedges that is a score changer.

Last edited:
High 80s as measured on trackman and flightscope.

Talking to a friend this morning we got to talking about club head speed with testing and using the FlightScope (or devices like it) to measure. How I always thought my speed was one thing and it turned it out was different. So my question is do you know your club head speed and how was it measured?

i spend lots of time during lunch at G'smith & GG. I know my driver SS is in the 92-96 range. I also know when playing and I'm truly loose, I can feel my SS move up (how much I don't know for sure).

I honestly have no idea; I've never been fit on trackman or flightscope. I'll see what the aboutGolf sim says this week with a months worth of rust.

No idea what it was at the Driver testing recently, the last time at the PGA SS it was right around 100 +/- 1-2 mph but I do not think I am getting that high anymore or the machine was off at PGA SS.

No idea what it was at the Driver testing recently, the last time at the PGA SS it was right around 100 +/- 1-2 mph but I do not think I am getting that high anymore or the machine was off at PGA SS.

It was 90.2 as an average Jim.

Well that certainly translates to the shorter Drives I am seeing now. Need more speed not new shafts or clubs...

103 on trackman last summer.
will be interesting to see where I am now at #ClubClash

The fitting at the ECPC had it, so I know mine is around 107 +/- a few mph.

105mph on a monitor at DSG. would expect it is not entirely accurate. I don't remember what my speed was on the flightscope at Disney, I was more concerned staying hydrated, lol.

A big country boy like you should be around 120....this is the internet after all :p

105mph on a monitor at DSG. would expect it is not entirely accurate. I don't remember what my speed was on the flightscope at Disney, I was more concerned staying hydrated, lol.

i've been on flightscope a half dozen times, trackman once, whatever pgass uses once, and whatever the annika academy uses once.

flightscope avg 99 as recently as september 2015

trackman avg 94 as recently as july 2014

annika academy avg 97 as recently as november 2015

pgass avg 102 as recently december 2015

obviously the pgass sim was jacked up to massage paying customers' egos!

Have seen numbers all over the place. Flightscope at an outing on the low end to various other ball fittings with Bridgestone Sims at various lications. Anywhere from 95-118. I would gander a guess at avg 108

Back