Driver Slice Cure

I don't usually have a slicing problem but I tend to fade. I tried this out today and I actually hit the ball pretty consistently all day, one drive OB but that was mainly because I should have hit a long iron or hybrid and I tried to crush it on a short par 4. I actually really like the fact that it gives you a way to repeat the same stance drive after drive and it made me feel more confident over the ball.

That same video helped me tremendously when I started back last year. I had quit due in large part to banana ball drives. No more except on rare occasions due to hard overswinging.
Yes that's the one, it really helped me out. Now I just need to work on my fairway woods, long irons, short irons, chipping, putting...etc. :)

Good to hear guys....I want to try this approach very soon.

Visualizing hitting that spot behind the ball effectively turns your stance the way it needs to be turned at setup with your front shoulder slightly closer to the ball. The result is a stronger setup and better, more square, contact through the ball.

This is the way I was taught to set up to the driver each time. I wonder the my instructor at the time watched this video heh.

I do like the consistent setup but there are two points of caution
1: If you already hit a high ball, this will push it up even further. I've had to drop the loft on my driver since I was adding 3 to 4 degrees of upwards loft with this.
2: If you sway or hip bump with the driver like I do, the rest of the setup is going to do jack squat for you other then put your slice in roughly the same area.

This is the way I was taught to set up to the driver each time. I wonder the my instructor at the time watched this video heh.

I do like the consistent setup but there are two points of caution
1: If you already hit a high ball, this will push it up even further. I've had to drop the loft on my driver since I was adding 3 to 4 degrees of upwards loft with this.
2: If you sway or hip bump with the driver like I do, the rest of the setup is going to do jack squat for you other then put your slice in roughly the same area.

Is this why I keep slicing?? Not real bad but enough to be behind trees and in the rough on the right - I do like this set up position though- ball height not really noticeably different maybe better which for me would mean higher

I've continued setting up this way, and it's becoming second nature now.

I took some tips from this video, and modified it a bit to fit my setup. I really like the consistent set up/pre shot routine when it comes to hitting the driver, and this is working out well for me. I had some great drives today, and only really started to hit a slice when I was dog tired (which was around hole 32ish).

Probably one of the best days I have had with my driver in quite a while, actually.

Took this to the range today (playing tomorrow morning) and was VERY impressed with the results. Longest, straightest drives I've hit in a long time. I actually took my R9 back to neutral after the first couple of times trying it(which used to produce a massive slice) and was hitting it straight and where I aimed!

I have been really bad about slicing or pulling driver shots lately, so it helped me tremendously. I was just about ready to take the driver out of the bag! Thank you for posting this.

I like this video and used the set up he suggested today and yesterday at the range. I'm not pretending there's a ball 4 inches behind my real ball, but I am grounding the club there and trying to keep my balance there.

I cam across this video a long time ago and been battling some misses right for a few months. 4 weeks ago I put his method in to play. With my driver I tend to focus middle on my stance and pretend the balls there even tho it is in line with my left heel. Even in the downswing my head and eyes are focused in the middle of my stance. Being driving the ball well ever since. I think before I used to focus on "addressing" the ball as it appeared to me forward on my stance that caused me to open my shoulders. This is a great video tip!

I watched this video last year and use this method, a bit modified now. I hit my driver quite well, I would say probably 80-85% fairway. I set my clubhead 4-5 inches behind the ball, but still focus on the right side of the ball, rather than a "decoy" or point behind the ball. Pretty consistant results.

I did this today at the range....frikkin awesome...this really worked for me. I was completely bombing every single shot straight!!! Cant wait to take this out to the course. Thanks for posting this.

I'm going to give this a try this week for sure. Gotta borrow a d-wedge as I have stowed mine away.

Just watched it... And to this newbie it made perfect sense! I'll run it through the "new golfer" test machine (that would be me) today at the range... If I don't get rained out.

spazz

See, Feel, Trust - No Regrets!

This has been a great method for working on a slice. I actually started doing it several years ago when I found this video from Shawn Clement on YouTube. Though Shawn doesn't talk about the stepping into/setting up part of it, he does talk about moving the ball forward in the stance as your raise it higher on the tee but still keeping your club head grounded in the center, thus keeping your swing focus on the center and preventing any misalignment.

This has been a great method for working on a slice. I actually started doing it several years ago when I found this video from Shawn Clement on YouTube. Though Shawn doesn't talk about the stepping into/setting up part of it, he does talk about moving the ball forward in the stance as your raise it higher on the tee but still keeping your club head grounded in the center, thus keeping your swing focus on the center and preventing any misalignment.

Good stuff!!! thanks!

Results of newbie test PRIMO!

On range I usually slice 7 out of 10 drives. Today got it down to 3 out of 10, and those happened when my hands got too busy on the backswing (I tend to re-grip mid swing). Additionally I hit it further and higher (no grounders).

I is a happy newbie :banana:

spazzdog

I watched this video last night and decided to take it to the course today without practicing on the range. For the last month, I have gone to using my 3 hybrid off the tee. Of course, I was getting less distance but I was at least in the fairway consistently. Well, I can say this tip actually works wonders. My first drive was in the middle of the fairway and I didnt have but maybe one awful slice all day. The guy I was playing with even tried it and agreed it was awesome. I did hit the ball extremely high, but by the last hole, I was driving the heck out of it and not playing out of trouble. Thanks for posting this video.

Results of newbie test PRIMO!

On range I usually slice 7 out of 10 drives. Today got it down to 3 out of 10, and those happened when my hands got too busy on the backswing (I tend to re-grip mid swing). Additionally I hit it further and higher (no grounders).

I is a happy newbie :banana:

spazzdog

Congrats! I totally tend to do the same thing but I also have it down to like 4 of 10 drive, I spent all practice today working with the pro on my swing and he basically told me the same thing the video did!

I tried this today on the course. No range practice in fact I decided to try it as I was teeing my ball up. Success! First drive was absolutely ripped down the middle of the fairway with a baby fade at the end. I hit 10 of my 12 tee shots with the driver as good as I have in years. And my misses aren't bad slices I can't find anymore. I would recommend this to anyone with a slicing problem and thanks for posting this video.

Now for a question to those who have tried this. Do you even look at the ball once you address after you take your stance? I find it hard to believe I can hit the ball this well and not look at the ball. I think that was the hardest thing to get used to

Tapa Slice

I tried this today on the course. No range practice in fact I decided to try it as I was teeing my ball up. Success! First drive was absolutely ripped down the middle of the fairway with a baby fade at the end. I hit 10 of my 12 tee shots with the driver as good as I have in years. And my misses aren't bad slices I can't find anymore. I would recommend this to anyone with a slicing problem and thanks for posting this video.

Now for a question to those who have tried this. Do you even look at the ball once you address after you take your stance? I find it hard to believe I can hit the ball this well and not look at the ball. I think that was the hardest thing to get used to

Tapa Slice

Not looking at the ball keeps the swing center where it should be allowing you to properly swing and catching the ball on the up swing and like the head pro at my course always says, if you focus on hitting the ball, your body will basically stop once it does what you told it to, hit the ball. If you pay no attention to the ball as you swing to finish, the ball just gets in the way and you have a better chance of hitting the ball properly with the correct path and ball flight!:thumb: Plus it keeps your head behind the ball at impact, hey it works for me!

I had great luck with this setup so far, too. I do look at the ball but ground the clubhead back 6" as suggested.

I also discovered need to focus on swinging a bit towards "first base" otherwise I release too soon and swing in too soon.

I tried this with my new R11s and realized the stock 'stiff' shaft is no where near what I need. I had it at 8.25 deg loft and c+ and sending it to the right like the fairway had bad breath. "allegedly" the stock stuff is only good to about 90mph. The concept worked great and contact was solid, I must say.

Weak sauce.

Back