Driver Slice Cure

A good way to be sure of your setup and ball position is to always step into the ball the same exact way every time, but use the club, your posture and hand position to 'measure' with when you setup so you are in the right place relative to the ball. The problem with this setup move is you have to already have developed a very good feel for how far away from the ball to stand when you line up with your feet together. If you are too far away from the ball or too close either one can cause big problems.

A good way to be sure of your setup and ball position is to always step into the ball the same exact way every time, but use the club, your posture and hand position to 'measure' with when you setup so you are in the right place relative to the ball. The problem with this setup move is you have to already have developed a very good feel for how far away from the ball to stand when you line up with your feet together. If you are too far away from the ball or too close either one can cause big problems.

I was placing the club behind the ball prior to taking my stance as I normally would. Then lifting the club once y feet were set and resetting it. Seemed to work.

I'm going to give this a try.

Great video, going to have to try that next week at the range. Looks like something that I will be VERY beneficial to me as my main problem with errant shots is alignment.

So weird that I just saw this - because this is pretty much what I was doing yesterday at the range, trying to get rid of my fade/slice.
I was just keeping the club back from the ball, no "other" target to look at. Also was concentrating on my shoulders - someone said to think of someone standing in front of you and pushing your right shoulder back before you swing - it was working quite well.

I (like a lot of other people) have always had problems slicing with the driver. My irons are great but nits a struggle off the tee. Giving this a **** and I'll see what happens. Thanks for the video.

I was trying this today...
I successfully did it once or twice, but other than that it was VERY difficult for me to focus on not where the ball was.

Any tips?

I've tried this for a while and find it works well. I still watch the ball though. I just concentrate on keeping my head behind the ball which moves my weight further to the right. Find it works ok for me although I think I've launched the ball higher since doing it. Will see if that gets rectified with the 9 degree driver that is on the way.

I said a tap tap tappity tap

I went to the range on my lunch today and tried this out. At first I did it exactly as in the video, put my feet together and then opened my front foot...etc...

Didn't seem to workout very well for me. My first few swings were sky balls that put idiot marks on my driver(guess I need to tee it lower).

After I was sick of that, I lined up to my ball like I normally do. Ball just outside my front heel, back foot open a bit as if I am trying to hit a draw, and I set my club up at my COG as stated in the video...First swing..What will you know! I hit it right down the middle with a nice baby fade. It worked great. I hit about 10 more shots and they all had pretty good ball flight. Only problem I ran into was when I grounded my club before I started my back swing. Every time I did this, I would hit the ground before the ball...Thats just a personal problem..

The important thing he's trying to tell people is keeping your 'center', the middle of your chest, at that point on the downswing. What happens is on the slice is when he talks about that 'side to side' action that happens on the downswing that gets your body out front and the club lagging too far behind. This happens to me sometimes when I try and get really aggressive on a driver swing. I also like his notes on when moving the driver head up to the ball in front and how that gets you more open with the shoulders and chest. I do this as well and is something I'm trying to fix a bit. I will also give this swing position a try and see.

I like your thoughts on this Nate. Ive been trying to figure out if this is what Ive been struggling with lately. Spine angle and too much swaying. My drives have gone back to the weak and short variety.

Did this on the range today while experimenting with some lead tape as I shortened my driver and I really like it. Right off the bat I was drilling shots towards and over the 250 sign! If nothing else, it is a very repeatable setup to avoid confusion and ingrain consistency in your setup. I'll be doing it from now on for sure, and i agree with Thain, that the 6" gap is key, avoiding swaying and getting through the ball.

I tried this in my round on Sunday...it started out pretty good but then I started "drop kicking" the ball....needs some range work I guess

Very interesting video and the principle makes total sense. I am anxious to give this a try as my driver has been giving me fits. KCM

I have had some trouble keeping my drives in the fairway the last few rounds, so I took a look at the video. I didn't really like the idea of looking 4 inches behind the ball, primarily because I don't carry a ruler with me on the course. However, I did like the concept of keeping my center of gravity behind the ball. Only problem is, I launch my drives pretty high and I was afraid creating a condition where I might hit up on the ball even more would probably not be very good for me.

Well, a few attempts while warming up on the range, and I was hitting a nice high draw. I took the swing to the course, and this swing thought of keeping my center of gravity back worked pretty well for the first 4 or 5 drives. After that, I started popping up, just as I feared I would. Nothing terrible -- even my shortest popup went a little over 220, but I was definitely losing distance. OTOH, I hit 9/11 fairways with my driver, and my two misses were barely in the rough.

I would say this is a pretty good swing tip, you just can't overdo it if you already have a high launch with your driver. I am going to try maybe focusing on a spot just a couple of inches behind the ball.

I finally was able to take this swing method out onto the course. It really wasnt difficult for me to keep my center of gravity back as I dont really sway in my swing to begin with. As far as 4 inches behind the ball, I didnt really worry about measuring the distance. I actually just set up my driver roughly one club head width behind the ball. I did notice I need to tee the ball much lower than I normally would to keep from hitting popups. I have to say it was a complete success. I was able to take my nasty slice to a 5-10 yard fade and I hit all but one fairway with my driver...I have never done that before.

I'm glad this is working out for some of you as it did for me! As some have commented I think focusing on the exact distance behind the ball to align the club is probably not the way to go as everyone is a different height/arm length etc, When I setup I focus more on having the club as close to the centre of my body as I can, this has allowed me to have a very repeatable setup position. I can't express how much fun teeing up without having to worry too much where my drive is going to go is. Now if I could just get the rest of my game to the same standard with a quick easy fix I would be all set!!! :act-up:

At first for me, this method worked like a charm, but felt kind of awkward. What I found is that setting up so far behind the ball, I was hitting the ball out on the toe of the driver face, and was developing some terrible duck hooks.

I've never used this drill, but what he's saying is really what I'm always to trying to do. I'm a big swayer and I did enjoy hearing some of the reasons bad things happen when I do it. I like the way he sets up.

The big thing in that video and important point is a consistent set up, like he talks about. I know I don't always set up to the driver in the same way and this is a good way to be consistent.

A couple of guys were in the club house talking about their slice a few days ago and I mentioned seeing this video and how it works. I've never tried the setup, but they were pretty interested and both were heading out to play. They came in later thanking me for the suggestion, lol. Both said it helped the slice and they made better contact. One actually hit all but one fw on the round, said that was a first ever for him.

Now I want to get out there and try this.

I did this yesterday and just WOW! I hit more fairways than I ever have. The great thing about it is that it is very consistent and helps take away one less thing to think about on the tee.

This video is awesome, I'm never in a different position when I hit my driver anymore, one thing I wish he would have talked about more was release, the head pro at my course taught me that the longer the club is the earlier I must release it and my drives since have turned from a nasty slice to a nice little draw (without draw configuration):alien2:. But most importantly the ball position setup that he taught really changed my game!

Back