Drones and Your Privacy

T0AD

2023, you're my last hope
Reaction score
Handicap
lots
So, this article raised a bit of interest in me when I read it earlier, and I wonder what you all think.
Scenario: You're in your backyard and a drone shows up. It's not just flying around the neighborhood, it's hovering, and decreasing altitude, and looking very much like it's watching you on your property. What do you do?
http://www.wdrb.com/story/29650818/...or-shooting-down-drone-cites-right-to-privacy

If it was definitely maneuvering like it was watching and not just flying around, I'm pretty sure I'd do something very similar to what happened in the article, but I'd use a pellet gun (or maybe a .22) because I don't live in city limits and it's legal to shoot pellet guns in my yard.

How long before some crazy drone case makes it to the Supreme Court for privacy issues?

Most Americans seem to be just fine with voiding their privacy in the name of safety so I figure most dont care.

A fly by wouldn't bother me but this thing getting low enough to see under a canopy in a backyard is an issue and I also would've done something to get it to stop.

Heck, it could be a burglar scoping out what you have on a patio for example. Issue is just gonna grow more but the owners saying they were trying to get video of a friends house need to do a much better job of knowing where they are flying and careful not to infringe on privacy.

He was wrong to fire the gun within city limits. Other than that, I'm 100% with the homeowner. And I agree with his off the cuff response about trespassing - our property rights extend upward to some undefined height.

I'm not sure what I would have done because I would have known better than to fire the gun, call the police or videotape it and do something after the fact, I guess.

The guys with the drone had no right to have it hovering over that man's property. I would have taken issue with it as well, especially with his daughter back there. The shotgun approach may have been extreme, but I don't blame him.

It would have been target practice time, ala Jason Day for me.

"You know, when you’re in your own property, within a six-foot privacy fence, you have the expectation of privacy," he said. "We don't know if he was looking at the girls. We don’t know if he was looking for something to steal. To me, it was the same as trespassing."

Kinda hard to argue that.

It's only a matter of time before there is a market for some sort of short range jammer to screw up the signal between the drone and the controller.

There definitely needs to be a rule in place to defend personal property and privacy, however I'll bet Mr.Can't-Stand-The-Idea-Of-Daughter-Being-Photographed would be horrified by what she's got public on her facebook.

i wouldn't have fired a gun within city limits either because of the law but also its small flying object and missing with a bullet could have adverse affects, but would use a pellet gun or even a paintball gun to take care of it.

within a persons backyard there is definitely a right and expectation of privacy.

i am ok with flyovers but the hovering and lowering in altitude is too much

Shooting it down was possibly a little harsh and dumb IMO.

Shooting it down was extreme, but I would have found a way to kill it and keep it. Let them go to court to explain how my house looks like their friends house and so on.

It's only a matter of time before there is a market for some sort of short range jammer to screw up the signal between the drone and the controller.

There already is one. It's called a shotgun! :act-up:

These drones are going to become a MAJOR problem. What scares me is when the sickos start using these to mess with airplanes that are in the most critical phase of flight which are the take-off/initial climb out and short final approach/landing. It's going to take a major catastrophe to bring attention to this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see some are saying it was dumb to shoot down. It takes one person with a desire to take action to effect change. So I applaud the dude. Some things are just wrong, don't make sense, and rules need to be revised. He did break a law to make a point, but it's not the first time that's happened.

I can't blame the guy one bit for shooting it down.

With all the sickos out there these days and his daughter being out back yeah I got know problem with what he did.

Let alone the criminal aspect of what can be done, survey what you got in the house, what the layout is, whether or not your home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shotgun is probably extreme; however, high powered pellet gun that seems appropriate. Our privacy is being violated everyday, when is enough enough?

These drones are going to become a MAJOR problem. What scares me is when the sickos start using these to mess with airplanes that are in the most critical phase of flight which are the take-off/initial climb out and short final approach/landing. It's going to take a major catastrophe to bring attention to this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
apparantly this happened twice at either Laguardia or JFK last week. There was a story about one getting within 100 feet of a plane on its approach to landing.

Thats is just crazy.

apparantly this happened twice at either Laguardia or JFK last week. There was a story about one getting within 100 feet of a plane on its approach to landing.

Thats is just crazy.

Only a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he responded perfectly. There is no difference between this and someone being in his back yard as far as I'm concerned. And it was a shotgun. The pellets are so small, there is no chance of harm when they come back to ground. Cant tell you how many times I've been "hit" by pellets from other shotgunners while out dove hunting from someone on another side of a sunflower field. You barely even feel it. We'll see how this pans out in court. I hope he gets off scott free and the dudes with the drone don't get jack. And it's complete BS about taking pictures of a friends house. They could have, and should have, gone to the front of that house and flown and controlled the drone from there. And it's doubtful that the shooter just happened to be hanging out with his shotgun in the back yard. He had to see the drone, be offended by the drone, go in and get his shotgun (maybe even load it, who knows) go back out, sight it in and shoot the drone. By then the drone operators would have had plenty of time to realize that they were on the wrong property, if for no other reason than the girl in the back yard. As far as I'm concerned, these guys are more complicit in criminal activity than the shooter.

Hell that would look like a good reason to get the old skeet gun out to me :bomb:

The problem with shooting it, is those bullets/pellets/etc must come down ... in a populated area that could be bad ...

With that said, I disagree with even the fly overs, much less hovering over my backyard ... I just don't have a good solution for bring it down

I would try to find the pilot of the drone before doing anything serious, but if I had no luck in finding them, then this would be my 2nd option.

G12-020.jpg

So, this article raised a bit of interest in me when I read it earlier, and I wonder what you all think.
Scenario: You're in your backyard and a drone shows up. It's not just flying around the neighborhood, it's hovering, and decreasing altitude, and looking very much like it's watching you on your property. What do you do?
http://www.wdrb.com/story/29650818/...or-shooting-down-drone-cites-right-to-privacy

If it was definitely maneuvering like it was watching and not just flying around, I'm pretty sure I'd do something very similar to what happened in the article, but I'd use a pellet gun (or maybe a .22) because I don't live in city limits and it's legal to shoot pellet guns in my yard.

How long before some crazy drone case makes it to the Supreme Court for privacy issues?
If I can reach it with my paint gun, I change it's color scheme on the spot.

Sounds about right to me. I would probably do the same thing if I was being harassed by a drone.

Back