From my Change Management background I know that on average a person needs to hear a message something like 5-7 times before they truly consume and integrate the information. It isn't realistic to expect people to pick up a piece of info here, another piece of info there, etc., and gain anything meaningful from it. News organizations are "transactional", not "informational"...they move to the next headline grabbing thing because they are interested in ratings. That's just the way it is. Communicating informational message which has the goal of changing behavior is the job of some other entity, IMO the government. In prior times this type of thing has been accomplished by giving key talking points to govt officials, who repeat the same things repeatedly. I'm not sure that's happened here.

Ironically a headline on cnn.com right now is "Ebola hysteria: An epic, epidemic overreaction."

Okay, but ask yourselves this: have you seen any "normal" source of information (and by that I mean not the stuff you scientist types would be inclined to go find and read, but maybe news programs, newspaper articles, meaningful communication from government officials, etc.) that provides even half the info contained in this thread?

I'm overly educated, read a lot, have an inquisitive mind, kind of stay aware of stuff, etc, and I obtained more info on this golf forum sub-thread than I've seen anywayere else. I don't know how a normal person has any chance of not being scared and overreacting.
This is a great point, and I'm not sure why science advocacy and science news hasn't made much headway in the United States. I know there are plenty of people who work in this area, and have a prolific internet presence (blogs, twitter, FB, etc). Somehow it just doesn't translate into a wider public audience. At this point, a lot of it seems to be preaching to the choir (ironic given the goal of the internet). It seems like a couple of generations ago, scientists were well respected, were celebrated individuals, and their discoveries were lauded for their ability to make the world a better place. They even had a significant role in entertainment (e.g., Carl Sagan's Cosmos). That no longer seems to be the case in certain corners of the United States where scientists are accused of being pawns, bumbling idiots, having hidden agendas, or are in the pocket of industry/government to do their bidding. Certainly scientists themselves have to share a sizable portion of the blame for this, it's just a trend we need to reverse, to get this country back into the realm of scientific literacy. I don't expect people to become versed in every realm of science, but having enough of a skill set to look at the news, sift through the information, not allow panic to set in, and know where to look for the proper answers would be a great start IMO.

Just so everyone knows, any headline that says Nigeria, or for that matter any country, eradicated Ebola is false.

While Nigeria certainly has contained and is now disease free, Ebola isnt something that can be eradicated (definition being destroy completely or put an end to) because it's main host is animals it always has the possibility to spread to humans.

Just so everyone knows, any headline that says Nigeria, or for that matter any country, eradicated Ebola is false.

While Nigeria certainly has contained and is now disease free, Ebola isnt something that can be eradicated (definition being destroy completely or put an end to) because it's main host is animals it always has the possibility to spread to humans.
Maybe not, but it can be rendered of no consequence. A strong vaccination program can all but eliminate human infections.

There are methods being employed by the scientific community to target mosquitoes (with Wolbachia, another microorganism) that transmit malaria and a number of mosquito-borne viral diseases, so it's entirely possible that a future treatment that targets Ebola reservoirs could be employed if there was a way to get that treatment into the reservoir in some fashion. Certainly nothing anytime soon though.

Right, failed to mention something similar.

Another patient was released from treatment. Declared Ebola free.

Current death rate in us is 1 in 5 one i believe.

Lot of secrecy around this patient though.

Another patient was released from treatment. Declared Ebola free.

Current death rate in us is 1 in 5 one i believe.

Lot of secrecy around this patient though.
They mentioned him back on Sept 9th. Here is an article mentioning his admittance into Emory's care.

I assume under HIPAA regulations he has a right to remain anonymous and he's decided to do so. Can't say I blame him.

Omaha world Herald reporting the second patient at the University of Nebraska Lincoln is expected to be released later this week.

W.H.O, is reporting that a Serum to combat Ebola should be ready within weeks.

e22240ce7cbb8b4ed77c7a9a47b0cc67.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...ber-vinson-recovered-ebola-so-quickly-n232431

The two nurses who cleaned up after Thomas Duncan and contracted Ebola both seem to have had mild cases. Unlike the other Ebola patients, their treatment started immediately in the United States. Now the question is ... why did they recover so quickly? Was it early detection and treatment? Was it the type of treatments only available in the US?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...ber-vinson-recovered-ebola-so-quickly-n232431

The two nurses who cleaned up after Thomas Duncan and contracted Ebola both seem to have had mild cases. Unlike the other Ebola patients, their treatment started immediately in the United States. Now the question is ... why did they recover so quickly? Was it early detection and treatment? Was it the type of treatments only available in the US?

My (semi-informed, I guess...) thought would be early treatment - if there's less of the virus when treatment starts, it's going to be cleared faster.

Saw a report that NYC doctor who just returned from W. Africa is being tested for Ebola.

One has been declared virus free now hasn't she? Didn't one receive a blood transfusion from one of the American Dr's who was flown back from Africa awhile back? This was news that everyone needed to hear concerning these 2 nurses and the virus.

A bit too close for comfort, but one at Bellvue in NYC:

A doctor who was working in Africa is being treated and evaluated at Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan for possible Ebola infection. "Today, EMS HAZ TAC Units transported a patient to Bellevue Hospital who presented a fever and gastrointestinal symptoms," Health Commissioner Mary Bassett said in a statement. She added that health officials are "also evaluating the patient for other causes of illness, as these symptoms can also be consistent with salmonella, malaria or the stomach flu."

Edit: CONFIRMED EBOLA

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/26876626/possible-ebola-patient-at-bellevue

Last edited:

A doctor who was working in Africa is being treated and evaluated at Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan for possible Ebola infection. "Today, EMS HAZ TAC Units transported a patient to Bellevue Hospital who presented a fever and gastrointestinal symptoms," Health Commissioner Mary Bassett said in a statement. She added that health officials are "also evaluating the patient for other causes of illness, as these symptoms can also be consistent with salmonella, malaria or the stomach flu."

a couple of my guys were in Bellevue's isolation ward on Wednesday doing a vital sign monitor installation. They were supposed to go back in there today to put some finishing touches on it.

this is scary considering he was on a subway hours before testing positive....WTF are these people doing going to Africa to do humanitarian work and then coming back and riding subways before they've passed the quarantine period. Everyone that wants to leave Ebola infected areas of Africa right now shoudl need to stay in a 21 day quarantine before they even get on a flight. Sorry...but this is getting ridiculous with the lack of common sense being used.

this is scary considering he was on a subway hours before testing positive....WTF are these people doing going to Africa to do humanitarian work and then coming back and riding subways before they've passed the quarantine period. Everyone that wants to leave Ebola infected areas of Africa right now shoudl need to stay in a 21 day quarantine before they even get on a flight. Sorry...but this is getting ridiculous with the lack of common sense being used.
To be fair he didn't go to work and was monitoring himself continuously. He was in the hospital and the cdc contacted at the first sign of fever. It is hard to get ebola. But it is so very contagious that in the modes of infection it is easy to do it and not even realize.

If I was staying home awaiting to see if I had been infected, I may have gone out but would have avoided the subway and bowling out of an abundance of caution.

agreed! You would think this would have been implemented by now with everything going on but precautions aren't being taken seriously.

To be fair he didn't go to work and was monitoring himself continuously. He was in the hospital and the cdc contacted at the first sign of fever. It is hard to get ebola. But it is so very contagious that in the modes of infection it is easy to do it and not even realize.

If I was staying home awaiting to see if I had been infected, I may have gone out but would have avoided the subway and bowling out of an abundance of caution.

He could be as cautious as he want to be...but if you're working with Ebola patients, the assumption should be you're infected, until it can be determined without a doubt that you're not.

He could be as cautious as he want to be...but if you're working with Ebola patients, the assumption should be you're infected, until it can be determined without a doubt that you're not.
I don't disagree. At least he was using a modicum of precaution rather than flying across the country.

Unless he was vomiting, deficating or bleeding all over the subway, it's not a big worry.

Sweat, and saliva don't seem to carry the virus as often as those other body fluids. (Another challenge it has to overcome to become airborne.)

But yea, he should have stayed home.

Last edited:
One has been declared virus free now hasn't she? Didn't one receive a blood transfusion from one of the American Dr's who was flown back from Africa awhile back? This was news that everyone needed to hear concerning these 2 nurses and the virus.
I believe you are correct on both counts.

Unless he was vomiting, dedicating, or bleeding all over the subway, it's not a big worry.
Certainly wouldn't want anyone dedicating (sic) onto anyone else. :wink:

I think this is a good article as to why we most likely will never have an Ebola epidemic in the US.

Back