I have not moved my weights since my fitting. I’ve considered moving them towards the toe for mishits but it hasn’t happened yet
Moving them or a mishit?

That was a weird range session to test out weight positions. Given enough swings I can adjust to any position but in the toe I have more of a tendency to slide the club head under the ball and come up way short. Center was pretty good and I was having a hard time picking a location until I started hitting partial iron swings in between to mix it up.

I guess with the weight in the center or toe there’s something that changes in my swing that causes me to shank partials with any other club. I didn’t have that issue with the weight in the heel. I don’t hit partials often, but I use them and I can’t be out there shanking chip shots. Heel weighting wins for me.

During our end of round wedge contest cool down I told my son to hit my 58. His wide eyed response was “Oh my god, that felt good.” I think the previous descriptions of “dense” fits best. It’s not clicky, but it’s not buttery either. It’s just got that firm but soft feel that’s hard to describe. Whatever word describes it, it’s a good feel. V grind on order.
It’s such a good feeling. I have a V grind on both my 50 and 54. They cut through anything.

Weight location is pretty crazy huh?
I don’t get it. It’s like secret stuff happens and I have no idea what it is. I’m sure I could get on a Trackman and figure it out but I’m sold on heel weighting.

I need to try and move the weights around when I chip and hit shots I normally hit with them but I really enjoy these wedges and the weight on the toe. Chipped really well today leading to quite a few par saves and easy birdies on par 5s! Played a nicer course with tight lies and chipping was so enjoyable

Moving them or a mishit?
I miss towards the toe occasionally and those come up short. I thought the weight could help with that

Had a pretty good day with these today, both on approach, and with the short game. I found myself in a bit of trouble off the tee on 9, and had to do the pre-punch-out-pep-talk of “don’t do anything ridiculous, punch it out and trust your wedges”. I found myself with 114 in, and a full-swing 54° D-grind was the right club. I trust these wedges.
IMG_8651.jpeg

Anyone have the lie angle move much in them? My 54 just feels uncomfortable right now. Very highly likely it’s a me thing, but am going to get it check at the shop this weekend (and maybe get it bent strong to close a gap and lower the bounce a touch)

Another solid outing with the SMS wedges last night, including lipping out with 2 greenside chips with the 60° P-grind. Had one of the guys I was playing with ask about the “circles” on the wedges, and he was both curious about what the weights could do, and complimentary on my use of the SMS around the greens. Going to take some solid evidence to prove to me that there’s a better fit for my bag in these slots.

Another solid outing with the SMS wedges last night, including lipping out with 2 greenside chips with the 60° P-grind. Had one of the guys I was playing with ask about the “circles” on the wedges, and he was both curious about what the weights could do, and complimentary on my use of the SMS around the greens. Going to take some solid evidence to prove to me that there’s a better fit for my bag in these slots.
💪💪💪

As a lefty I am jealous of all you who have had the opportunity to try or play these.

I have two friends who have these and they are over the moon with them and can't imagine playing others. This coming from two guys who are known for swapping out clubs like socks.

No issues with partial wedges today, but I did try to play a little differently and try to bounce a few on since it’s so firm with the dropping temperatures. When I needed to spin it I seemed to get it, and was able to play a few greenside flop shots to tight pin locations, and hitting possibly my best bunker shot of the year to 3’ to save par. Got another notch on the 60° P-grind with a 45 yard hole-out for birdie, and when I needed a sky-high 115 yard wedge on #18, the D-grind delivered, setting me up for another birdie to close. I really trust these things.

Pretty decent outing today with the SMS wedges. Hit some really decent full swing shots, including a near mirror of the wedge I needed on #18, except this time I put it about 15’ closer. I ended up in about the same spot on #14 I was yesterday (about 40 yards out) where I chipped in for birdie, and this one was tracking for eagle.
IMG_8680.jpeg
These have been a blast to play this year, and as my short game has improved, and I’ve learned some new shots around the green, the SMS have delivered. I’ve had more kick-in pars and birdies than I can count, and have had a chip drop with every wedge I got at this years Quest Cup. If I had to pick a favourite out of the bunch, I’d probably pick the P-grind. I wouldn’t have had myself pegged as a low-bounce wedge guy, but this has really helped me improve my bunker play, given me more options while short sided on some tough greens at my home course, and given me a new weapon on those 40-50 yard touch shots. If you’re looking for some new wedges this year, I would heavily suggest Edel, especially if you can go through the fitting process. Admittedly, that’s one of the things I wish I could have gone through, but my scorecards, compliments from playing partners about my short game, and plummeting handicap over the past 2 seasons have softened that sting. @JB @EdelBlake I appreciate the opportunity to test these out 👊.

Pretty decent outing today with the SMS wedges. Hit some really decent full swing shots, including a near mirror of the wedge I needed on #18, except this time I put it about 15’ closer. I ended up in about the same spot on #14 I was yesterday (about 40 yards out) where I chipped in for birdie, and this one was tracking for eagle.
View attachment 9212522
These have been a blast to play this year, and as my short game has improved, and I’ve learned some new shots around the green, the SMS have delivered. I’ve had more kick-in pars and birdies than I can count, and have had a chip drop with every wedge I got at this years Quest Cup. If I had to pick a favourite out of the bunch, I’d probably pick the P-grind. I wouldn’t have had myself pegged as a low-bounce wedge guy, but this has really helped me improve my bunker play, given me more options while short sided on some tough greens at my home course, and given me a new weapon on those 40-50 yard touch shots. If you’re looking for some new wedges this year, I would heavily suggest Edel, especially if you can go through the fitting process. Admittedly, that’s one of the things I wish I could have gone through, but my scorecards, compliments from playing partners about my short game, and plummeting handicap over the past 2 seasons have softened that sting. @JB @EdelBlake I appreciate the opportunity to test these out 👊.
It’s been a ton of fun and your journey is awesome and not complete. Can’t wait to see what the future holds

After playing the 58* P-grind I picked up a 54* V-grind. I set the weight in the heel for the 54* and set the club down. I usually like my wedges to open all the way when I set them down but the V-grind opened up just a little. Probably about perfect for a soft landing chip, but still different than what I looked for.

I was pretty convinced it was the right sole but I didn’t have much confidence in seeing the club at rest. Too late to do anything about that, I took it to the course and played it with good results. I played a few more rounds and learned what I like to see doesn’t always help my game. The V-grind was a solid performer. It’s a solid workhorse that kept my scores in check. It had fewer wow level kick ins, but it had fewer “what was that” results too.

I used to be able to play whatever grind I wanted with similar results. At the time it was good enough. After putting the Edel SMS in play my short game has improved. I like the P-grind out of the soft bunkers at my course but I like chipping with the V-grind. I’d say my game led to the improvements but the only thing I changed was my wedges.

I’m impressed. I still need to work on my full swing wedges but my short game has seen improvements that I didn’t think was possible. I don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s the grinds, maybe it’s the weighting. Maybe it’s a combination of those two. Whatever it is, I’m excited about having a pretty decent short game now.

Was playing with the 54 deg D grind around the chipping area last night. It feels like cheating with how wide open I could lay the face with how Edel handled the heel relief. I’m pretty convinced that could be my most lofted wedge and I could navigate just about anything I needed to.

I really like whatever wedges @Wildcat has 😎

I refuse to call it end of year recap as I tend to play all year if the white stuff isn't sticking to the ground and they let me out, but given punched greens and curious conditions on the near horizon I thought now could be a good time to put a bow on things.

Looks and Feel:
These are superb. They look so good in the bag and have such a pleasing denseness to them. Plus the ability to add stamping and a bit of customization for just a few bucks more is a great option. I also love the milling marks of the sole. I can't speak to if they help get through the turf more or less, although can certainly buy that logic, it simply looks great in the bag and in hand.

Grind and Bounce:
I have the 54 and 58 D grind, and also added a 58 P grind. For me, the D grind is such a good grind. The dual action sole really works, with the front part engaging with the turf and then the back end helping you back out. For someone who can get a little chunky, and also plays a lot in softer turf, it came in and out of the ground so well on so many occasions where I probably didn't deserve it. I distinctly remembered one from about 60 yards in the spring muck that I tried to dig to China with my swing. I was really worried about it at contact, only to have the club pop out and the ball carry to pin high. I was thoroughly impressed. That's not to say it's a soft ground wedge only. They way Edel was able to add in heel relief makes it so easy to pick the ball off a hard patch if needed.

For the P grind, it is also a very versatile wedge for me. I can pick it clean off tight lies, but the wide sole has allowed me to pop it out of fluffy rough and soft bunkers. It has become a great score saver for me. Moving forward I think the P grind will get the majority of the 58 work, but if the course is really soft and damp the D grind will get the call at the 58 slot.

Performance:
Honestly I'm not sure if they are the zippiest wedge out there if you really like to spin the ball around the greens but they hold their own. I had also been a little concerned that they have a thin top edge, not quite following trends to add mass up high to help with high strikes, when I first received them. And sure, I've floated a few swings short when I put a poor swing on the ball but it wasn't consistently poor there.

What I have zero concern over and absolute confidence is how the weights allow me to more consistently deliver the club to the ball. I can't recall being as consistent as I've been this year. As I was looking through shotscope data to determine how to best quantify what these have done for me, I'll simply leave it at strokes gained for short game compared to a 5 hcp.

2022: -0.57
2023: 0.78

Edel's tagline is one shot can make all the difference, and it certainly is with my short game.

(especially that one shot I chipped in before @ryang13 ;))

Last edited:
I had a lesson today. I took about 10 full swings and 15-20 partials with each wedge. These are the results. You can see the larger outline on the 54. The 58 saw a couple more extra effort swings during my lesson that are probably responsible for the high (fat) contact.

54 V grind
IMG_0564.jpeg

58 P grind
IMG_0566.jpeg

I usually explore a good bit more of the face in all directions. This has been my typical pattern for 3-5 swings, not 30. I know there are more consistent ball strikers but this is great consistency for me.

I have no doubt the adjustable weighting has helped me deliver the club more consistently. The wedges felt more comfortable and less foreign once I got them setup properly. The confidence I have in my wedges is a happy new development.

The more I mess around the D Grind, the more I really like it. Really versatile and seems to match my movement for partial shots.

The 60 P grind that @Wildcat let me try is one of the deadliest wedges i have ever tried out of a bunker. it is almost cheating.

The D-grind is my favorite. Nothing really else out there like it.
I’ve yet to find a grind better with the combination of protection and versatility yet from any other offerings

Last edited:
The more I mess around the D Grind, the more I really like it. Really versatile and seems to match my movement for partial shots.
It’s pretty unique. Definitely much more forgiving than I expected on full & partial swings, but versatile enough that I was able to use it for touch shots and bunker play on occasion.

It’s pretty unique. Definitely much more forgiving than I expected on full & partial swings, but versatile enough that I was able to use it for touch shots and bunker play on occasion.
This is where I am. I did the wedge matrix on SkyTrak+ earlier with it and it was so damn consistent, but the grind itself seems to promote such clean contact for me, compared to a few others I have tried.

Back