This is where I am. I did the wedge matrix on SkyTrak+ earlier with it and it was so damn consistent, but the grind itself seems to promote such clean contact for me, compared to a few others I have tried.
I think that leading edge has a lot to do with it. The more I used it this year, especially in the 50° spot, the more comfortable I got in terms of feeling like I could attack through the ball without it digging. But at the same time, use it around the greens and open the face up a bit and hit it very softly, or just for a super straightforward chip and run style shot. Pretty neat that it’s kind of a best of both worlds workhorse, and can avoid having a club you’re not really comfortable in playing certain shots with at the lower end of the bag.

Pulled the T-grind out of the backup bag this week to focus on wedges in the garage. I had my T/V grinds from the first Quest Cup reshafted last year with Recoil 110’s, and if I decided to go down the graphite route again, this would be my shaft of choice. I never really got along with the Hi-Toe look in wedges, as it always felt like the head got away from me during the swing, and if I move the weight around out of my preferred spot, I get a similar feel. I don’t see myself straying out of the Centre port on any of my Edel stuff, as it just “feels right”, and with this combo I can rip at it and get a bit more aggressive through the ball. I think they nailed the shape of these, especially with the T-grind - that squared off leading edge sets up so well.
IMG_8822.jpeg
IMG_8824.jpeg

P grind is so much fun. Had this shot below and initially tried to run something up off the bank. Worked out okay but decided to drop a ball and try to float one up there. So much fun to smack the wide sole into the ground and watch the ball grab the green to around 6’

4FC428BF-B502-442A-8225-73C5D27A42D8.jpeg

I chipped in again. 32 yard chip with my 54* V grind. I really thought I wasn’t going to like the grind but that was also before I found out I can get -10 AoA on my wedges. My more typical AoA was -7 to -8. Something about the V grind just works for my game. I can open it up slightly and make an aggressive pass on my chips knowing that it’ll come off the face nicely and sit hard.

I’m considering buying a 58* V grind to replace my P grind. My steep swing has caused a few chunks that I think the V would have helped me out on. I’m beginning to use the 54* as my go to because of how much confidence I have in it. I don’t know why it’s even a ponder and not on the way already.

Had winter Ohio slop and the D-grind wedges just simply didn’t care. Cut right through or bounced along just fine to both perform great when I held up my end of the bargain or save my bacon when I got a little loose with low point control.

Such a forgiving yet versatile grind.

Once posting season ended for me I played some late fall rounds with the RTX Zipcore wedge as a comparison. While I think they may spin more on chips and pitches, even accounting for fresh grooves, I’ve noticed the consistency in my club delivery is not quite as good as the SMS wedges.

The weight impact in these clubs is real.

Went with the T Grind. I was automatic at 100 yards today at the range. Stuck 10ish shots within 15 feet of the 96 yard indicator. And so easy to chip with. No chunks. Club just slides right through the dirt. Excited to practice with this thing some more.

Anyone have the weights dialed in for awhile and then move them into a newly dialed setting? Have been fighting my 54 on and off the last couple months so naturally my mind goes toward moving the weights, just haven’t moved them yet.

Nudging this for my Quest Cup crew! Don't know if you all have been following but some great info in here. I need to go dust mine off and get them in the sim here while we wait for all of this white crap to melt.
@JohnSinVA
@mson
@shanewu
@Wildcat guessing you're in here somewhere but we're tagging everyone so why not. :LOL:

Nudging this for my Quest Cup crew! Don't know if you all have been following but some great info in here. I need to go dust mine off and get them in the sim here while we wait for all of this white crap to melt.
@JohnSinVA
@mson
@shanewu
@Wildcat guessing you're in here somewhere but we're tagging everyone so why not. :LOL:
I currently have the following:

60 degree P (I will not give this one up for anything)
54 degree V
48 degree D (Pro SMS does not come with a gap wedge)

I'm thinking of updated my 54 and 48 to a T grind for the event.

54 degree V

What are you hoping to get from the T-grind that is different from what you are seeing now?

What are you hoping to get from the T-grind that is different from what you are seeing now?
Better off of tight lies and chipping/pitching around the greens with more of an open face.

Better off of tight lies and chipping/pitching around the greens with more of an open face.
I have the T Grind in a 56 and love it

54 degree V

I have a 54V & 58C right now that I'm going to get out to practice with. I'm suuuper curious about the P grind in my lob spot as I played the Callaway Z grind there and very much like the wide sole low bounce setup. For my 54˚ I'm kind of in search of a grind I guess. The V grind is solid, but not sure if one of the higher bounce grinds would be better there. Playing the wide grind in my Callaway 54˚, which compliments the lower bounce Z grind well for soft lies and fluffy traps.

@JohnSinVA
@mson
@shanewu
Immediately drawn to the V grind because the Cleveland/Srixon implementation of that particular grind is currently in play.

Would like to find a grass fitting for them to see if a different grind might be a better match.

@JohnSinVA
@mson
@shanewu
I've been in here and following along but got even more interested after trying @Wildcat 's wedges.

If I had to blind buy RIGHT NOW, I'd just go with his setup since I hit them pretty darn well at TopGolf on back-to-back days.

I thought I posted another update here after I got my 58* V grind. I guess not. I’ve been enjoying the V grind so much more than I thought I would. I feel like almost any shot is possible. Why almost? Because I keep forgetting to align my shoulders with the slope on uphill, soggy lies.

I’ve hit just about every shot I typically hit and some that are more rare. I had a pitch from a downhill lie over a bunker to a narrow green and hit a gem that had enough spin to come back a few feet after skipping forward. Typical chips give me consistent action and I can try to throw darts with my partial swings. It’s really nice to go into a short game shot with this newly found confidence.

No idea when I'll be able to play outdoors, but in preparation for the Quest Cup these are back in the bag. Did some chipping in the basement this morning and for now have decided on the weight in the heel. Maybe it's a placebo but I had the weight in the toe of my 58 and was struggling making good contact. Switched it to the heel and I started hitting them way better. Confirmed the same with the 54, which was already in the heel. Will make sure I keep the allen wrench with me as I get out to hit these more.

These also have KBS Tour-V 125 shafts in them, which I gamed prior to going graphite. I've been considering going back to steel in my wedges so this should be a good experiment.

Even with the use that these have already had, the milled sole still looks awesome, and the SMS has kind of an industrial or technical look that I really like. Red and black works for me as you can see in the picture, so I love the default paint fill on these. Some of the coolest looking stock wedges out there IMO. Probably should have put some anti-seize on the weights though. Felt like I about bent the wrench trying to get them loose.

E999151E-4A2B-43A4-A83F-F987670FC590_1_105_c.jpeg

I have the T Grind in a 56 and love it
IMG_7780.jpeg

This wedge is so easy to use. Just point and shoot. Picking spots in my yard and chipping around. Just a fun wedge

Where do you have the SMS weight set?
Right now I have the heaviest weight near the heel. That seems to be working well.

Right now I have the heaviest weight near the heel. That seems to be working well.
After doing some chipping in the basement that's where I've settled for now until I go to my wedge fitting. I've only been able to hit on a non-fitting sim so far with any longer swings, but they were going pretty dead straight. If I can swing the time, I'm hopeful to get out to the range at some point this week to validate what I've been seeing already.

I have a 54V & 58C right now that I'm going to get out to practice with. I'm suuuper curious about the P grind in my lob spot as I played the Callaway Z grind there and very much like the wide sole low bounce setup. For my 54˚ I'm kind of in search of a grind I guess. The V grind is solid, but not sure if one of the higher bounce grinds would be better there. Playing the wide grind in my Callaway 54˚, which compliments the lower bounce Z grind well for soft lies and fluffy traps.
why are you curious in the higher bounce grinds compared to the V grind?

Back