Edison Wedges Review Thread

Super cool. This is the consistent one I keep seeing from the reviewers: "I could certainly alternate the two wedge sets from round to round and not miss much of a beat. The increased forgiveness from the thick, fluffy rough lies and off hardpan (which hitting off of is not a very frequent occurence) give the Edisons the slight playability edge in my book."

I am leaning toward buying the whole clubs, but I tell ya' the head only option (price) is very enticing. I think getting my shafts out could be a bit of an adventure, and may alwys make me nervous if I assembled them correctly.

Thanks!

To the guys reviewing the Edison wedges, now that you’ve had time to use them, how accurate do you think the fitting process was? Would you change anything now if you could?

I would say that with out talking to TK I wouldn’t have tried the 49 I would have gone 54/59 and likely not learned as much as trying the 49.

The fitting process isn’t very complicated at the end of the day. They came up with recommendations that git the end of my bag and didn’t vary that much from what I was playing. My GW was based on a 48* AW where I was 48/53/58. The recommendation was to go 49/54/59 with the thought process that the distances even with a bit less loft would match my old wedges. I have found that to be true.

I am not sure I would change anything else right now. If I decide they are going to stick I will likely add the 54 which I didn’t get at the time.

Most excellent. I am deciding on who the replacments will come from for my Hogan Equalizers. Which like #4, I don't consider them flashy or anything like that, but they have a nice feel and the price was right for me.

I currently am hitting a 50 and 56. When I did Edison's online fitting tool, it suggested 50, 55, 60. I don't have a 60 but may get one as I do play out of a lot of deep sand traps. Also there is a lot of deep bermuda rough and it seems one of the consistent reviews is they play well out of that.

I noticed you have a 50, 54, 60. Should I look at the 54 instead of the 55?

Thanks

If I was playing the Equalizers which were a TK design I would definitely go Edison. What is the loft below 50 in your bag? If it is 45 or 46 I would go 50/55/60. If you only want to go 2 wedges. They would depend somewhat on the loft of your next club.

Most excellent. I am deciding on who the replacments will come from for my Hogan Equalizers. Which like #4, I don't consider them flashy or anything like that, but they have a nice feel and the price was right for me.

I currently am hitting a 50 and 56. When I did Edison's online fitting tool, it suggested 50, 55, 60. I don't have a 60 but may get one as I do play out of a lot of deep sand traps. Also there is a lot of deep bermuda rough and it seems one of the consistent reviews is they play well out of that.

I noticed you have a 50, 54, 60. Should I look at the 54 instead of the 55?

Thanks
I think it depends on how you like to play shots around the green. I LOVE hitting flop shots and high shots in general. I'm not really a bump and run player.... So the loft is good for me.

If I was playing the Equalizers which were a TK design I would definitely go Edison. What is the loft below 50 in your bag? If it is 45 or 46 I would go 50/55/60. If you only want to go 2 wedges. They would depend somewhat on the loft of your next club.

I am playing the second year, 2017 I think, of TM P790's and it looks like the PW is a 45. So I think it would be pretty good thing to have evenly spaced wedge gaps.

I think it depends on how you like to play shots around the green. I LOVE hitting flop shots and high shots in general. I'm not really a bump and run player.... So the loft is good for me.

Interesting question. For the longest time I used to only carry one wedge above my PW. A 54 if I remember correctly, and I would try to make it do whatever I envisioned. But as you can probably guess, that did not work out always, haha! So I re-configured to two and have liked that, but I really think one more would be good. But then I have also started considering a carrying a left-handed club for those bad situations that happen, but that just seems like a waste. Thankfully it is not that frequent!

So I guess just thinking about it I don't really have a preferred way, just more of a feel thing at this point.

Played 12 holes in very windy conditions today and really saw how the versatility of these wedges shine. They are so easy to flight down, both against and with the wind, when needed IMO. I am also amazed at how much spin these wedges generate on shots into greens that are essentially hard punch shots.

Played 12 holes in very windy conditions today and really saw how the versatility of these wedges shine. They are so easy to flight down, both against and with the wind, when needed IMO. I am also amazed at how much spin these wedges generate on shots into greens that are essentially hard punch shots.
That’s my stock windy fall day shot! All the way into my mid irons.

That’s my stock windy fall day shot! All the way into my mid irons.

I generally hit the knock down better than a full swing all the way to my 4 utility. I even hit them sometimes with my 5w.

Awesome info in here guys. Lots of talk comparing these to Hogan Equalizers for good reason. @Sox_Fan can you possibly post a picture showing the sole of these side by side with the Hogan's?

With what sounds like a pretty consistent change in ballflight has it been difficult to adjust to?

Are your peak heights more consistent?

Awesome info in here guys. Lots of talk comparing these to Hogan Equalizers for good reason. @Sox_Fan can you possibly post a picture showing the sole of these side by side with the Hogan's?

I will do that sometime this weekend.

With what sounds like a pretty consistent change in ballflight has it been difficult to adjust to?

I have not had any difficulty adjusting to ball flight differences for one big reason - I’m seeing enough spin that I’m really able to control the golf ball, even out of the rough.

I can think of a couple recent shots typical of what I’m seeing; both were with the 49 degree wedge, both uphill, both from the rough, and both to pin positions requiring a quick-stopping shot. Even with what I’m considering flatter trajectory from a lie that (imo) promotes more roll-out I saw balls stopping within 5-8 feet of their landing spot.

One thing that has been more difficult to adjust to (or just flat out trust) is playing into the wind. I’ve seen less of an impact on distance into the wind than expected.

This isn’t anything groundbreaking, but I took the video and figured I’d share it. Just a short video to illustrate how easily I can manufacture different greenside shots with a single 57 degree Edison wedge.

I don’t want to mislead anybody to think that I couldn’t do this with another wedge, but there are certain soles/bounces that would make the cutty/spinny lob shot more difficult.

I don’t know how the video quality will translate this, but the first shot in particular grabbed the green pretty hard when it landed (like I’d expect it to).

And one final thought for the morning, while it’s on my mind….

I did spend some time comparing to both a Cleveland RTX 54/12 and Vokey SM6 60 degree M grind last night. I felt like on such short shots there wasn’t a huge feel difference between the Edison and Cleveland, but it did seem like the Vokey had a little more click.

But, back to my original point - I did uncover a shot I thought the Cleveland, with its more rounded and bouncy sole, handled a little better.

This was from a tight, somewhat firm lie. The shot was a low runner, so ball back in my stance and the face delofted (which removes bounce). The Cleveland did a bit better at sliding into the ball on those really slight misses, while the Edison did stub into the ground a little more. The results weren’t that different, but you could certainly feel and hear the difference in both turf interaction and contact.

And one final thought for the morning, while it’s on my mind….

I did spend some time comparing to both a Cleveland RTX 54/12 and Vokey SM6 60 degree M grind last night. I felt like on such short shots there wasn’t a huge feel difference between the Edison and Cleveland, but it did seem like the Vokey had a little more click.

But, back to my original point - I did uncover a shot I thought the Cleveland, with its more rounded and bouncy sole, handled a little better.

This was from a tight, somewhat firm lie. The shot was a low runner, so ball back in my stance and the face delofted (which removes bounce). The Cleveland did a bit better at sliding into the ball on those really slight misses, while the Edison did stub into the ground a little more. The results weren’t that different, but you could certainly feel and hear the difference in both turf interaction and contact.
It sounds like, as I feel it is with most clubs, you gain some here, lose a little there.

I know for me it seems like what I would gain in those fluffy shots around the rough where I can really struggle would outweigh what I might give up on those tighter lies.

Does anyone else have areas with this wedge where maybe you are getting different performance than what you might see with other wedges?

It sounds like, as I feel it is with most clubs, you gain some here, lose a little there.

I know for me it seems like what I would gain in those fluffy shots around the rough where I can really struggle would outweigh what I might give up on those tighter lies.

Does anyone else have areas with this wedge where maybe you are getting different performance than what you might see with other wedges?

I do want to note that once I set up without delofting the club so much, the way bounce interacted was completely normal for me. In reality, I’m usually going to take less loft (the 49 for example) and not deloft the face so much. I just wanted to see what all I could do with the 57.

I didn't find a substantial difference in ball flight and certainly not something I needed to adjust to. With a wedge in general I want it to fly as low as possible as long as it stops where I want. I was never someone who hit my wedges super high. I do find I can flight the 49 down quite well but it was also something I was capable of with the ZX5 50*. The 49 might flight down easier.

Pitching and chipping with these wedges continues to impress me.. The sole goes in and come right back out….
That little leading edge relief or grind is magic.

image.jpg

I’m going to be in Las Vegas all next week for work, so fresh content will have to pause after today. I did get an extended range session and 9 hole round in yesterday.

I took the Edison and my old Hopkins 49 degree wedge to the range to compare some full shots. Unfortunately we are on mats the rest of the season, but that’s fall golf for you. Not much wind yesterday and temps right around 68 degrees.

A couple full shot observations come to mind, and one of them is pretty exciting to me. The Edison wedge indeed was a solid 5-10 yards longer for me, and that was consistent across several shots. Proving that without a launch monitor is a difficult task, but I’m going to attempt to do it.

Here is the setup. Arrow points to the 100 yard green, which I know from past lasering (flag was down today).
4BCD15E4-B40C-4C86-ABA8-B53AD56868C8.jpeg
Here is that picture zoomed. Balls from the Hopkins were consistently landing near the right arrow, on the green. Edison were landing up on the hill behind the green, highlighted by the arrow.
D31C5E62-FCBC-4876-AAB7-B6000E4E3A20.jpeg

The best I can do to illustrate the difference in distance is the Measure Distance feature in Google Maps. I understand this isn’t perfect, but just trying to do the best I can given the situation.
CDB3903E-280C-4D81-9B79-CA12FAC38A30.jpeg
22F36416-A9BD-4D1F-A5B6-B03DA6604B18.jpeg

Again, not perfect, but it’s what I saw and I wanted to share it. As for the most important question (why was this happening?), I have no way to know. I do believe I’m seeing a slightly lower, more penetrating ball flight with the Edison wedge, but that’s very much a visual observation I can’t back up at the moment. Maybe lower launch is resulting in more efficiency and ball speed?

I took a good amount of video in the hopes I could track ball flight and utilize a shot tracer app for this post, but unfortunately the ball disappeared too quickly to give an accurate and honest depiction of the shots. Therefore, I think it’s better not to include them here.

Oh, forgot this part. On the course I had a 110 yard shot on a short par 3 and stuck the shot (49 degree Edison) pin high, 10 feet to the right. Aaaaand, I actually made the putt. That felt good, but better yet it backs up the distance I was seeing on the range.

I’m going to be in Las Vegas all next week for work, so fresh content will have to pause after today. I did get an extended range session and 9 hole round in yesterday.

I took the Edison and my old Hopkins 49 degree wedge to the range to compare some full shots. Unfortunately we are on mats the rest of the season, but that’s fall golf for you. Not much wind yesterday and temps right around 68 degrees.

A couple full shot observations come to mind, and one of them is pretty exciting to me. The Edison wedge indeed was a solid 5-10 yards longer for me, and that was consistent across several shots. Proving that without a launch monitor is a difficult task, but I’m going to attempt to do it.

Here is the setup. Arrow points to the 100 yard green, which I know from past lasering (flag was down today).
View attachment 9124405
Here is that picture zoomed. Balls from the Hopkins were consistently landing near the right arrow, on the green. Edison were landing up on the hill behind the green, highlighted by the arrow.
View attachment 9124406

The best I can do to illustrate the difference in distance is the Measure Distance feature in Google Maps. I understand this isn’t perfect, but just trying to do the best I can given the situation.
View attachment 9124407
View attachment 9124408

Again, not perfect, but it’s what I saw and I wanted to share it. As for the most important question (why was this happening?), I have no way to know. I do believe I’m seeing a slightly lower, more penetrating ball flight with the Edison wedge, but that’s very much a visual observation I can’t back up at the moment. Maybe lower launch is resulting in more efficiency and ball speed?

I took a good amount of video in the hopes I could track ball flight and utilize a shot tracer app for this post, but unfortunately the ball disappeared too quickly to give an accurate and honest depiction of the shots. Therefore, I think it’s better not to include them here.
Awesome info! That's pretty conclusive that they are flying 10 yards longer for you.

Comparison pics of soles and look at address of Edison (left in all pictures) and Hogan Equalizers.

49 E and 50 (bent to 49) H
20221002_092600.jpg
20221002_093952.jpg

53 (bent to 54) E and 54 H
20221002_093449.jpg
20221002_092844.jpg

59 E and 58 H
20221002_092912.jpg
20221002_092954.jpg

Just posted some pics.

Just posted some pics.
Perfect! I think I actually prefer the shape of the Edison. I was also trying to figure out how similar the v soles are. It seems like the V is a little closer to the leading edge on the Hogan's. Does that sound accurate?

Back