Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the reason I have converted to nearly 100% cloud storage. Plus, no need to load files on to one memory device and plug and play, it's accessible to all of them, all the time.

Media was the one tough one to do, but with the SD card readers for iPad/iPhone now, it's a breeze. Plug and play.

I have not really dug in to cloud storage all that much. My fear is always when I need something I won't have network access

There has to be a draw back no? What am I missing out on with the ChromeCast vs the Apple TV?

apple tv is the champagne of video streaming

There has to be a draw back no? What am I missing out on with the ChromeCast vs the Apple TV?
Not really. It's still being worked on, and the updates have been nice. Basically, think of it as an extended desktop for your computer...wirelessly. It's really an awesome device, and for $35 it's almost too good to be true. We rarely use the Apple TV anymore.

It also is compatabile with some iPad apps, and more and more or adding the chromecast feature.
I have not really dug in to cloud storage all that much. My fear is always when I need something I won't have network access
That's the beauty of Android; Foxfi. Instant hotspot.

apple tv is the champagne of video streaming

I had jailbroken it at one point so I could stream all my movies from my mac. There was a bug that made me update so now I cant. I literally use it for netflix and HBO go.

most of my expandable space is used for movies. Like I said my current tablet has a 32gb sd card filled with movies. I know there is a workaround with the ipad and I could deal with that if I had to.

I must say I still love widgets too. I think it makes things easier.

Widgets are one thing that I absolutely LOVE.

This is another big one for me.

Moving movies around from cloud (I did this this last weekend) on FoxFi nearly maxed out our data.

perhaps on my next device. Really stinks on sprint's network. Although I haven't tried it home since the tower near me just changed to LTE. That's right, just changed to LTE. dumb

Moving movies around from cloud (I did this this last weekend) on FoxFi nearly maxed out our data.
Ah, I guess there is that side of it. Not sure how much longer I will be able to slip through the loophole of my unlimited plan.

I kinda really want chrome cast.

I got it last week. Only used it a few times so far, and just really to play around with it. Haven't really gotten a lot out of it yet, but I will. Wish I had had it a couple weeks ago when we hooked up the laptop to the TV via monitor cable.

My ATT Uverse router crashed last week. Repair guy shows up and replaces it. Now, I can't get my bluray or my phone to connect to it via wifi.
I want to call uverse support. But, then again, I don't want to call uverse support.

My ATT Uverse router crashed last week. Repair guy shows up and replaces it. Now, I can't get my bluray or my phone to connect to it via wifi.
I want to call uverse support. But, then again, I don't want to call uverse support.

Did you change the WIFI passwords on the devices?

Did you change the WIFI passwords on the devices?

Yes. I renamed everything to what we always used in the past, along with my own pw. Then, I went to the bluray and tried to establish a new connection. No bueno.

So with Chromecast, if say a college football game is on ESPN3.com I would then stream that from my iMac direct to my TV through the Chromecast and watch the game on the big screen in HD just like it was on live TV?

So with Chromecast, if say a college football game is on ESPN3.com I would then stream that from my iMac direct to my TV through the Chromecast and watch the game on the big screen in HD just like it was on live TV?

Yep, that's one of things I got it for. Since you are casting the tab, then that is what is going to the Chromecast.

EDIT: Seems that espn3 video comes as a pop up. Need to check on that.

You can cast THP to your TV if you want to!

Yep, that's one of things I got it for. Since you are casting the tab, then that is what is going to the Chromecast.

EDIT: Seems that espn3 video comes as a pop up. Need to check on that.

So it does not work with pop-ups, only with something displayed in a browser tab? Is that only with Google Chrome or any browser?

So it does not work with pop-ups, only with something displayed in a browser tab? Is that only with Google Chrome or any browser?

Just checked. When the pop up window opens, copy the url and paste it into your browser. Then cast that. It works, I just did it!

Haven't tried with any other browser. I was thinking Chromecast only works with Chrome.

Just checked. When the pop up window opens, copy the url and paste it into your browser. Then cast that. It works, I just did it!

Haven't tried with any other browser. I was thinking Chromecast only works with Chrome.

Cool.

That was my assumption. My Mac sometimes takes issue with Chrome but then I've never had great incentive to really try to make it work better before now.

Hopefully mine will show up at the store soon, they were out of stock. Probaby get it some day next week.

Chromecast works only with Chrome, correct.

Cool.

That was my assumption. My Mac sometimes takes issue with Chrome but then I've never had great incentive to really try to make it work better before now.

Hopefully mine will show up at the store soon, they were out of stock. Probaby get it some day next week.

Amazon Has them in stock and free shipping with PRIME!

Amazon Has them in stock and free shipping with PRIME!

Sure, but I had a $5 RZ cert for BB to use, so it is cheaper than the Prime for me right now. :)

Bought a Chrome cast. So far all I have figured out is how to stream Netflix from my phone. Any tips or features I should be looking at?

Bought a Chrome cast. So far all I have figured out is how to stream Netflix from my phone. Any tips or features I should be looking at?

Kind of bare bones right now as they release the code to developers. You can stream YouTube as well

Also you can use your chrome browser on your desktop or laptop to view any chrome tab on your TV.

Wish they would hurry up and release the Chromecast in the UK , still I have found an app that streams my movies from my nexus 7 direct to either the PS3 or xbox 360 so I can play them on the big screen tv...but the Chrome cast looks awesome...and so cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back