Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
awesome cant wait to see this

I bet those weeks turn into days the more you ponder and remember how good they felt SW! Hehe

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

I wish you were right, early part of June is always a very expensive time for me. Have to do the wise thing and wait it out :banghead:

Do it hawk, you know you want some :)

--
tapatalk

driver upgrade?

driver upgrade?

I hope I placed this in the right thread. I was hoping to receive some suggestions/experience from more experienced golfers for a high handicap golfer in his thirties. Just to start, I am not aware of any custom fitting location nearby unfortunately. Looking to upgrade my current driver to something that may be perhaps a bit more appropriate for my swing. I currently use a Nike SM SQ driver with some moderate success bundled with some lessons. I still fight a on/off slice but that has improved and although I don't get significant distance it is no longer shameful :)

I am looking at the (used\new) Callaway FT-IQ/i-mix Fubuki 60G reg flex/ProLaunch platinum or trying a slightly older Nike 5900 diamana reg to help out a bit to stay in the fairway and any distance gain would be a nice bonus. I am open to any other suggestions, others of secondary potential interest is the Cobra L5V, Cleveland XLS. What about loft? I currently have 10.5 and launch trajectory is not consistent enough but have suggested and read that I would benefit with a higher lofted driver. Any thoughts on 11 - 13 loft? Some great pricing on used/new *13 and *11. Just playing with friends on weekends at the end of the day.

I need a 3w. I only have 13 clubs in the bag. It's time to head to a golf store :)

I'm pondering a new flat stick. I'm not happy with mine atm. I'm going to give it some time as it may just be me, but I'm just not liking the feel so far.

What's everyone's thoughts on Gap wedges? I'm looking into replacing my 52 and 56 degrees wedges. Traditionally I've always bought these two outside the set.
Recently it was suggested to me to get the 52 matched to my set and go outside the set for the 56. Theory being that 90% of shots with the 52 are full swings so it makes sense to have the same look and feel as my set. That makes sense to me and is altering my thinking. Before I pull the trigger on the purchase I figured I'd run it past the membership.

My gap (50) is outside the set. Love love love the new Nike wedges, and personally I like having that variable from my Mizuno irons.

What is the current set you own?

What's everyone's thoughts on Gap wedges? I'm looking into replacing my 52 and 56 degrees wedges. Traditionally I've always bought these two outside the set.
Recently it was suggested to me to get the 52 matched to my set and go outside the set for the 56. Theory being that 90% of shots with the 52 are full swings so it makes sense to have the same look and feel as my set. That makes sense to me and is altering my thinking. Before I pull the trigger on the purchase I figured I'd run it past the membership.

I think it depends on the set, and your personal preference about your short irons or wedges. In my Ping i10s I had 3-PW and had a 53* as my gap wedge. I got 4-AW in my current irons. While I like my gap wedge I have been considering getting a 52* wedge to replace it. Personally, I feel like I "pinch" the ball better with my "blade" wedges than with my stock slight cavity back AW. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but if I get new 56 and 60 wedges I'll probably get the 52 as well. Again it is just personal preference.

My gap (50) is outside the set. Love love love the new Nike wedges, and personally I like having that variable from my Mizuno irons.

What is the current set you own?

Mizzuno MP-63 and have the original Nike VR Forged Wedges. Buying the new Nike VR Pro Wedges just a matter of 52&56 or just 56. I love the Pro combo set, and if I end up buying them, they dont offer a matched gap wedge.
Which finish you like on the VR wedges? I'm leaning towards the black oxide

I think it depends on the set, and your personal preference about your short irons or wedges. In my Ping i10s I had 3-PW and had a 53* as my gap wedge. I got 4-AW in my current irons. While I like my gap wedge I have been considering getting a 52* wedge to replace it. Personally, I feel like I "pinch" the ball better with my "blade" wedges than with my stock slight cavity back AW. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but if I get new 56 and 60 wedges I'll probably get the 52 as well. Again it is just personal preference.

Jeff,
I hear ya on the "pinch". I've been seriously considering the Nike Pro Combo set for that very reason; blades in the scoring clubs.
If I keep my set now, Mizzuno MP-63, I have a choice to make. If I RT the combos, Nike made it for me because they don't offer a matched gap wedge. Either way, wedge wise I'm leaning towards the new VR Pro's.

I thought the same way Jzier however I've come to the spot where I like my gap wedge to match my wedge set. Generally when I'm using it, I'm going for a green and I find I'm more comfortable going for the green with a wedge then a wedge that looks like an iron. Just me, but the difference in how the club looks helps me seperate what stage of the hole I'm at and how I'm going to swing.

Mizzuno MP-63 and have the original Nike VR Forged Wedges. Buying the new Nike VR Pro Wedges just a matter of 52&56 or just 56. I love the Pro combo set, and if I end up buying them, they dont offer a matched gap wedge.
Which finish you like on the VR wedges? I'm leaning towards the black oxide

I went black oxide and I love the look.

Jeff,
I hear ya on the "pinch". I've been seriously considering the Nike Pro Combo set for that very reason; blades in the scoring clubs.
If I keep my set now, Mizzuno MP-63, I have a choice to make. If I RT the combos, Nike made it for me because they don't offer a matched gap wedge. Either way, wedge wise I'm leaning towards the new VR Pro's.

I agree, I too have been considering (more like dreaming about) a combo set now that my ball striking has improved greatly. The Nike Pro Combos would be perfect; hopefully I am chosen to test them! I have heard nothing but great things about the VR pro wedges, I am going to have to hit them. If I'm chosen, they would be perfect to round out the set!

It's probably just personal preference an dependent on what set you are playing. I tried playing the AW that came with my Nike's, but I had no "touch" with it. The face was just way too hot.

Mmmm....pondering....Cleveland CG16 irons or Srixon Z Star Irons with CG16 Wedges?

Mmmm....pondering....Cleveland CG16 irons or Srixon Z Star Irons with CG16 Wedges?

Thats an excellent ponder and cant go wrong with either one really. The CG16's are great irons that are long and easy to hit. The Zstars were pretty good when I hit them at the THP Demo day. They look as good as anything out right now.

I have been pondering the Nike wedges so much, I am going to pick up some tomorrow afternoon. I am going with a 52* and a 56*. I am going to have the 52* bent to a 53* to give me a good gap between my AW (50*) and the 56*. My biggest yardage struggle right now is 85-95 yds. I hope the 53* hits that on the head. By by, CG14 56* and 60*.

Why not go 54-58, and bend the 60 to 62? 3* is like 8 yards in my head.
I have been pondering the Nike wedges so much, I am going to pick up some tomorrow afternoon. I am going with a 52* and a 56*. I am going to have the 52* bent to a 53* to give me a good gap between my AW (50*) and the 56*. My biggest yardage struggle right now is 85-95 yds. I hope the 53* hits that on the head. By by, CG14 56* and 60*.

Why not go 54-58, and bend the 60 to 62? 3* is like 8 yards in my head.

The highest loft I want to handle is the 56*. I am pretty golden from 75 yd. with a 56*. I just need some help in between that and my AW. I think because the R9 AW is a CB it is hard to back off of it.

Fair enough dude. The highest loft I have ever needed 54 and the 60 just kinda hangs out in the bag for trouble shots(which seem more and more prevalent now that they grew the rough out for the AT&T). But I think before you bend it, you should get an accurate distance on the 52. The R9 AW is a cavity and weighted differently, that it may go farther than the 52 by a margin that wouldnt require bending.
The highest loft I want to handle is the 56*. I am pretty golden from 75* with a 56*. I just need some help in between that and my AW. I think because the R9 AW is a CB it is hard to back off of it.

Fair enough dude. The highest loft I have ever needed 54 and the 60 just kinda hangs out in the bag for trouble shots(which seem more and more prevalent now that they grew the rough out for the AT&T). But I think before you bend it, you should get an accurate distance on the 52. The R9 AW is a cavity and weighted differently, that it may go farther than the 52 by a margin that wouldnt require bending.

True. I might just hold off on the bending it. I have carried a 60 for about 2 years now. I tried using it solid for about 6 months and it was terrible. I then went back to the 56 and I can count on one hand how many times I used the 60.

Same here. I've had the 60 in my bag for my last 4 rounds and it hasn't touched the grass once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back