Fairway wood advice.

CarstenBF

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, I have a somewhat simple question, but though I'd wrap it in a wall of text. No need to make it too easy for you guys.

About a year and a half ago when I just started golfing, I invested in a G10 4w. I'd read compelling tales of how easy and forgiving this club was supposed to be, so it was a great disappointment to discover that I couldn't hit it at all. I happen to think FW's are the coolest thing, and I love the sound of the ball coming off the face. But alas I had to conclude they weren't for me.
(of course I later learned that it is fitted with an x-flex weird custom shaft)

Fast forward till a couple of weeks ago. A Ping rep came by my club and I'd signed up for a driver fitting. I thought I might as well give the FW's a second chance. After all my swing has improved quite a bit. He handed me a stock K15 5w, and I proceded to hit 10 really great shots. Fantastic club! All were more or less on target with a decent trajectory and great smash factor. All > 1.4. Even managed back to back 1.5's. More importantly they delivered exactly that lovely feel and sound that I so crave. To me that's what golf is all about.

So, I'd found my club. And I suppose it's time to get to the point. In all honesty my question is not much different than what I'm guessing hundreds of people have asked before me - which ones to get? At first I thought what the heck, I'll just get one of each (3,5,7) and find out over time by myself. There's just two little problems..

Firstly I've run into, hmm how shall I put it, a bit of a cash flow problem. More importantly however, like you can see below, the top of my bag goes Driver - 3h - 5i at the moment. Clearly insufficient. Quite a few holes on my home course where the driver is too long and the 3h doesn't quite cut it.

Now common sense (I think) would be to try something like 4w, 7w, 4h. I'd probably try that setup if it wasn't for the fact that I absolutely adore my G10 3h. I hit it real good, it generates this lovely subtle "piiiing" sound when you hit it on the screws. And I reckon that a 5w would overlap. Then again, with one particular hole in mind, I could see a use for club with similar distance to the 3h, but one that lands a little softer. With less roll I mean. Would that be the case with a 5w?

I suppose I'm really just looking for some pointers on how to proceed. What would you recommend for a 24 hcp golfer in his second season when it comes to FW's? Any input appreciated.

Thanks in advance
- Carsten

Maybe strong 3W, 4W, keep the 3H?:ping:

Depends on how well you hit that 5i? Are you comfortable with it for a long shot?

My setup is this, Driver/3W/3H/4i.

I have confidence in my 3H over a 5W, and it works out well for me. I have always been one to prefer a long iron over a fairway wood, especially a 5 or 7 Wood.

The question you need to ask, is, what with the 5W and 7W replace in your bag now? Compare the 5W to your 3H. What is the difference you are getting in distance? Are the two different enough for you to carry both? Do the same with the 7W, what benefits does this have for you over what you already have in your bag?

Up until about a year ago, I went Driver/3H/3Iron. As I have always struggled with a 3W, until recently (cough, shameless Boccieri Golf plug, cough).

Hope this gives you some info, let us know what you decide to go with! Good luck!

I go Driver-3 wood- 3hybrid - 5 iron with no problems.

Didn't notice the driver was 12*. I would just go 4W to 3H Carsten. That is what I have and I don't notice any big gaps:dance:

hit everything you possibly can. if not then the K15 sounds like a good stick for you based on early returns. If you're worried about top of the bag gaps may look into a 4w or cut a 3w down to a 'strong 4w'

Carsten, I didn't see that you actually hit the 4W. Did you?

Carsten, I have a 17* 3 wood and a 22* 7 wood that work really good for me. However, I do better with woods than a 3 hybrid. I do fine with 4 & 5 hybrid but anything lower seems to give me mixed results.

Since you do well with the 3 hybrid, I think I would get a 17* 3 wood since you are a higher handicap. They are so much easier to hit. Definitely try the Cleveland FL since they are so easy to hit and are proven to be longer. I love mine.

Good luck!

Great replies so far.

Maybe strong 3W, 4W, keep the 3H?
Great idea. And one that I hadn't considered. I play a 12* driver though, so it'd probably be somewhat redundant. Also the Ping guy said I should stay away from the 3w for the moment. That kinda bewildered me, and hence the reason for this thread, cause that'd mean 5 and 7w. And the 5 should be somewhat similar to my beloved 3h.

Depends on how well you hit that 5i? Are you comfortable with it for a long shot?
Yes. Of course my game is quite inconsistent given my skill level, but I know I got the shot, and never shy away from the 5i. If I'm not, I should be on the range hitting 5i's, hehe.

Actually, while typing this I'm beginning to revert to my get 'em all solution. See where I'm at. Out where it counts, on the course. Maybe get a couple of Mashies to compare.

Btw, to go totally off-topic it kinda ticked me off how I was fitted for standard lie and +3/4" length for my current irons, when the Ping guy had me at 1½ upright and standard length. The lie I can understand, my swing might have changed, but the length?!

Since you do well with the 3 hybrid, I think I would get a 17* 3 wood since you are a higher handicap.
Yeah, sounds like a good place to start. Certainly cheaper than my suggestion in the previous post. :D

Well for me the K15's are just about the best and easiest FW's I have ever hit. They are also long. Very long. The K15 5w goes well past my 3H. Have you tried them side by side? I bet you will find the 5W longer than you think.

I think it's sily to base your bag setup with one hole in mind.(guessing it's a par 3). Just lay up on that hole and try to get your par, if not take bogey. I'd say go with the 4 wood. I have driver, 4w, 3h, 4i, and I love the setup. 3h is long enough for long par 3's and the 4 wood is forgiving and long enough to be used off the tee or off the deck. I highly suggest it.

---
- I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

I go from 17° to a hybrid and it works quite well.

Well for me the K15's are just about the best and easiest FW's I have ever hit. They are also long. Very long. The K15 5w goes well past my 3H. Have you tried them side by side? I bet you will find the 5W longer than you think.
No sadly. Looking back that was a bit silly. It was right there beside me while I was on the LM. But I was more focused on how I was making contact and what shaft to use. Good info though, cheers. Seeing as I do have a somewhat low ballflight with the driver it could be a perfect fit.

The K15 3w is like a mini-driver off the deck to be honest which may have been the reason why the PING rep offered that advice to you. I think you should look into cutting a 3w down to make it a strong 4w. you'll sacrifice minimal distance but gain accuracy and versatility (easier to hit off the deck) this is what I did with my own 3w and will do so for any other 3w I get in the furture

Great replies so far.

Great idea. And one that I hadn't considered. I play a 12* driver though, so it'd probably be somewhat redundant. Also the Ping guy said I should stay away from the 3w for the moment. That kinda bewildered me, and hence the reason for this thread, cause that'd mean 5 and 7w. And the 5 should be somewhat similar to my beloved 3h.

I think it's sily to base your bag setup with one hole in mind.(guessing it's a par 3).
You would be right. Though there's also a par 5 with a (newly dug!) canal across the FW right in my driver window. I feel the 3h leaves me a bit shorter than I like.

Btw, to go totally off-topic it kinda ticked me off how I was fitted for standard lie and +3/4" length for my current irons, when the Ping guy had me at 1½ upright and standard length. The lie I can understand, my swing might have changed, but the length?!
Maybe you are standing closer or over the ball more, negating the need for the extra length? Maybe it was a poor initial fitting?

I'd say 3 (16 deg) and 5 (19 deg) wood. Should fill in your gaps a lot better. You might still have a gap between the 5 iron and 3 hybrid, but it will certainly be better. You can always change that by going with a 4 hybrid instead of the 3 down the road. You only have room in your bag for 2 more clubs, so if you add a third new club, something has to get booted...like a wedge?

Allrighty then. Guess it's down to a 4w or 5w for starters. I'll see if I can find either with the right shaft somewhere and report back.

I'd say 3 (16 deg) and 5 (19 deg) wood. Should fill in your gaps a lot better. You might still have a gap between the 5 iron and 3 hybrid, but it will certainly be better. You can always change that by going with a 4 hybrid instead of the 3 down the road. You only have room in your bag for 2 more clubs, so if you add a third new club, something has to get booted...like a wedge?
I'm actually allready considering dropping the GW, since it almost never sees any use. Need to regrip the wedges anyhows, so I plan to replace 'em with a 52 and a 58. But that's another story. For the record I also need a new putter, and the narrow sole on the irons is making me consider switching to i15's. Sigh, does it ever end? :p

Agree with driver - 3W - 3H, 4H, 5i - if you don't want to carry a 4i then get another hybrid. I am assuming your 3H is a 19*. Even if your loft on the hybrid is the same as your first iron in the set you will hit the hybrid farther than the iron so that is not a gap problem. I sometimes drop a wedge or two and put in a 5W also which will fall in between the 3H and the 3W gap wise. Go with a 15* or even a 16* 3W, much easier to hit than a 13 strong 3W. Callaway Big Bertha 16* 3W with an Aldila Green NV shaft is one of the easiest fairway woods to hit ever made.

I'm actually allready considering dropping the GW, since it almost never sees any use. Need to regrip the wedges anyhows, so I plan to replace 'em with a 52 and a 58. But that's another story. For the record I also need a new putter, and the narrow sole on the irons is making me consider switching to i15's. Sigh, does it ever end? :p
No...we always want to change. It's why we always read about what's new... :D

My rule is never change equipment until I absolutely can't find any other reason - either in my setup or swing - for a bad round or a bad month. Then I think about changing. I have only owned about 4 iron sets in the past 20 years though. Some people buy new irons more often than I buy golf shoes.

Some people buy new irons more often than I buy golf shoes.
Haha. Trust me though, I can think of plenty of reasons to change my irons. Love them nonetheless.

Back