Favorite BBQ Restaurants

The Lockhart triangle (Blacks, Kreuz's, Smitty's) are all up there for me. Some of the best brisket I have ever had in my life.

The Lockhart triangle (Blacks, Kreuz's, Smitty's) are all up there for me. Some of the best brisket I have ever had in my life.

Luling City in the Galleria is good also.

Never expected to find decent BBQ in northern MN. This guy knows what he is doing however. Sells out of almost 300 lbs of meat in 3 hours everyday. I have no issue making the 2 hour round trip to grab some lunch. http://thepiggybbq.com/

We have a Famous Dave's opening in my neighborhood soon. I've never been to one so excited to try it out.

Charlotte we have Midwood Smokehouse, Mac's Speedshop, Hickory House(closed but was good), and a short drive away Lexington BBQ.

Different strokes is right, I don't know. Of another food type that is as polarizing as BBQ.

I need to give 4 rivers one last try, but if I never had it again I wouldn't be sad

I generally think it's overrated, though good BBQ. I have had their burnt ends twice. Instead of the BBQ candy I was expecting, they were crispy and dry. Everything else I have had there was pretty good. Good turkey, brisket and pork. It's good. It's not worth their hype, though. Their sauce is disappointing. The sides and desserts are great.

I generally think it's overrated, though good BBQ. I have had their burnt ends twice. Instead of the BBQ candy I was expecting, they were crispy and dry. Everything else I have had there was pretty good. Good turkey, brisket and pork. It's good. It's not worth their hype, though. Their sauce is disappointing. The sides and desserts are great.

I wonder if the one in Carrollwood is different, or tastes different then the one in Winter Garden? The Winter Garden location is the only one I have tried, and it was always consistently delicious. I like a wide variety of BBQ. I don't discriminate. I'm an equal opportunity BBQ eater, I like all regions for different reasons.

I wonder if the one in Carrollwood is different, or tastes different then the one in Winter Garden? The Winter Garden location is the only one I have tried, and it was always consistently delicious. I like a wide variety of BBQ. I don't discriminate. I'm an equal opportunity BBQ eater, I like all regions for different reasons.
I have only eaten at that one twice. I used to eat at the one on Fairbanks in Winter Park quite often.

And don't get me wrong, it's better than Sonny's, Bubbalou's, etc. It's a great place. I just think it's hyped a but too much.

I ate at the winter park location last week and it was so rich. Their helpings od meat have gotten more generous. Still some of the best I have EVER had

And don't get me wrong, it's better than Sonny's, Bubbalou's, etc. It's a great place. I just think it's hyped a but too much.
That's what I decided I had to do, compare it to the chain restaurants. Then it is pretty good BBQ, just can't touch the wonderful one off shops across the south.

Last edited:

I ate at the winter park location last week and it was so rich. Their helpings od meat have gotten more generous. Still some of the best I have EVER had

Im with you two. Traveled all throughout the country tasting at so many great places and this is definitely in my top 5.

JB have you been to Mission BBQ? They just opened one on Waters. Looks like a chain, but I have heard good things. It's near Jazzy's, which is horrible. Curious if anyone has any thoughts.

JB have you been to Mission BBQ? They just opened one on Waters. Looks like a chain, but I have heard good things. It's near Jazzy's, which is horrible. Curious if anyone has any thoughts.

I have not.

Northside bbq here in the area. Great mom and pop bbq that cooks the goods outside when you pull up. The smells are free, but they sure make you buy it. The baked beans have a cinnamon type of topping that is mouth watering. And their homemade coleslaw is the best within 300 miles. Portions could be bigger for the price and usually average about $20 per person.

There are a few BBQ places in and around Boston.

My two favs are Blue Ribbon BBQ in Newton and Arlington my fav for the food

http://blueribbonbbq.com/

and Redbones in Davis Square - I like the atmosphere here better

https://www.redbones.com/

Sweet Cheeks in Fenway is probably the best Food/Atmosphere combo of the Boston BBQ restaurants. I think of Redbones more as a bar that has BBQ food. It's decent, but I usually go for the beer selection.

In terms of Northeast BBQ, I'm a big fan of Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, NY. It's up there with at least some of the BBQ I've had down south.

Sweet Cheeks in Fenway is probably the best Food/Atmosphere combo of the Boston BBQ restaurants. I think of Redbones more as a bar that has BBQ food. It's decent, but I usually go for the beer selection.

In terms of Northeast BBQ, I'm a big fan of Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, NY. It's up there with at least some of the BBQ I've had down south.

Was that the place we stopped at after the Albany thing? That place was pretty good.

Was that the place we stopped at after the Albany thing? That place was pretty good.

Yeah, that was the one in Troy. They've got a few restaurants open now, Syracuse was the original.

I was once stationed in Monterey, CA attending language school, and every Monday we got 2 hours for lunch. Long enough to get to Castroville to Central Texan BBQ. It was a humble, almost dirty place with sawdust on the floor, and where you went and grabbed your own drinks out of the cooler and paid after you ate. They would just ask you after the fact what you had, and you would tell them. The brisket, chicken and sausage there were as good as I have had anywhere, and the helpings were huge. They later moved to a different location, and I read a couple years ago that they had closed. The owner was in his late 70s and the price of beef had gone up, so he closed his doors.

I was once stationed in Monterey, CA attending language school, and every Monday we got 2 hours for lunch. Long enough to get to Castroville to Central Texan BBQ. It was a humble, almost dirty place with sawdust on the floor, and where you went and grabbed your own drinks out of the cooler and paid after you ate. They would just ask you after the fact what you had, and you would tell them. The brisket, chicken and sausage there were as good as I have had anywhere, and the helpings were huge. They later moved to a different location, and I read a couple years ago that they had closed. The owner was in his late 70s and the price of beef had gone up, so he closed his doors.

The price of beef right now is crazy!

That's what I decided I had to do, compare it to the chain restaurants. The it is pretty good BBQ, just can't touch the wonderful one odd shops across the south.

as someone who deals with some pretty bad acid reflux and indigestion, i've had to pretty much swear off 4 rivers. there's something about their food that tears me up like no other. i'm not in the camp that thinks it's mediocre, but i'm also not willing to put it top 3 i've ever had. i think their sauce is great, and the baked beans are the best i've ever had. but going to college in alabama and spending a little time in the carolinas has spoiled me a bit. but jb is right, different strokes, and wake is right that bbq is one of if not the most polarizing foods out there.

The price of beef right now is crazy!

No doubt. $4/lb for crappy grocery store hamburger. My chef buddy tipped me that the guy his restaurant buys from will be selling beef at the local Farmers Market this year. Which should be starting up pretty soon...

Back