Favorite movie few people have heard of

Brick

I watched the movie about a billion times around the time it was released.

Such a good movie! I kept thinking the first time I saw it "who talks like that? Is this some kind of Silicon Valley accent?" Nope. The writers basically made up their own slang dictionary.
best new example of film noir I've seen.

The Idolmaker with Ray Sharkey. When Elvis was away while in the Army, he tried to create the next big sensation in the music world. He is fabulous in the role. He was also great as Sonny Steelgrave in the Wiseguy TV series.

Loved The idolmaker. It seems like I saw a lot of these movies when cable TV first became popular & some channels were desperate to fill the 24 hour slots.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Secondhand Lions

Now I don't think of these as Under the Radar. To me these are in the Must see pantheon.

Secondhand Lions should be seen by every man, woman & child in North America.

And if you include that first Guy Ritchie film, then you have to watch Snatch & Rocknrolla too. All 3 are so much fun.

Here's one I bet a lot of people haven't seen:

Iron & Silk. Almost a documentary, considering the writer plays himself and his sensei plays himself in the movie too.

Long Gone.
6e20a3bdcc1113d991511d3f5af30654.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kids
The Prestige
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (Heath Ledger’s last movie that he never finished making so his buddies came in and played his role while in the imaginarium)
No Retreat No Surrender (this movie defines my childhood)

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimension - still waiting for the sequel.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimension - still waiting for the sequel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve been wanting to watch that one. They mention it in Ready Player One (another good movie for this thread)

Mall rats has been mentioned, so I’ll go with major payne. Just hilarious back in the day.
Major Payne is my generation gap movie. There's not a lot of people my age who are in the military and haven't seen or referenced Major Payne. So the first time I referenced it to a bunch of trainees and got blank stares, I realized where the generation gap was, and it's knowledge and appreciation of the Wayans Brothers.

Gleaming the Cube

I almost forgot about that one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yep, Long Gone......

Primer? Really? Good? Interesting, sure. Good? I'm not so sure.

Yeah, fair point. But OP said "favorite", not "best".

I still don't quite get it, but I liked it. Or at least I did back then. :)

Bumping this because while the movie grossed more than a hundred million, it quickly faded into obscurity, but is a movie that helped get me into the corners of the military I've called home for years. Sneakers is an all-time favorite of mine. It encompasses a variety of INTs (SIGINT, GEOINT, OSINT, HUMINT) it's very clever, and very well acted by a cast including Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Ben Kingsley, Mary McDowell, and River Phoenix. If you haven't seen it, you should.

The Hollywod Knights. A 60's type flick about a hot rod club and their favorite hangout that's going to be torn down by Hollywood elites to make room for a highrise. Robert Wahl and Fran Drescher star.Good music and storyline.

Newbomb Turk

Has anybody not heard of Water World? Wasn't it the most expensive film ever made for a long stretch and considered a huge flop (I liked it).

Dennis Hopper was great in it

Can’t buy me love

Heathers

The Great Outdoors

They Live

Ready to Rumble

The Blood of Heroes with Rutger Hauer and Vincent D’Onofrio (Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket).

Basically a post- apocalyptic movie about a team of 6 that travels from town to town challenging that towns team to a match where there is a stake placed at each end of a field. The object is to place a dog skull on the opposing teams stake. Brutal tactics are used to stop the opposing teams “quick” from reaching the stake. The end goal is to get noticed and invited to play in a league in an underground city where you are treated like royalty.

I should also mention another not well known movie favorite of mine:

Green Street or Green Street Hooligans starring Elijah Wood

Movie about a college kid who is framed and kicked out of college so he moves to England to live with his sister. While there he gets 1st hand knowledge of what it’s like to be a football (soccer) hooligan when he joins one of the clubs.

Don’t let the description fool you. This movie has it all from action to storyline and if you have any heart at will will have you complaining about the dust in the air causing your eyes to water.

Everyone I have recommended this movie to calls it the best movie that they never saw after viewing it.

The Commitments. Great movie and an even greater soundtrack.

Back