Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

Yeah I tasted mine too. Technology mixed with lemons.

I'm playing in Memphis this coming Friday and plan to take lots of notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Haven't tasted it yet...will have to get on that! :eat:

Wanted to do a mid day bump in case anyone wants to go back and read the reviews or watch the videos.

I may forego a round tomorrow for a long range session. Driver and shaft will be hit and feedback will be posted.

I may forego a round tomorrow for a long range session. Driver and shaft will be hit and feedback will be posted.

I'm debating whether I'm getting some range work in this afternoon or going for a run. Possibly both if my energy level allows haha. Either way hoping to get another update in early this week.

So I was away over the weekend and didn't get home until Sunday evening. Little about me; my driver is my most inconsistent club. A few weeks ago I couldn't miss a fairway. It was my best club in the bag. The last week or 2 I've been all over the place with my driver; right, left, really low and really high shots. I currently play a Project X LZ stiff shaft in my Callaway Big Bertha 815. This is the stock shaft in the XR driver which I play at 45.5" which is stock length for the 815. My typical miss is a push fade while good shots tend to go straight with a mid ball flight.

Today I got out to the range. Warmed up with some wedges and hybrids then went right to the driver. After lining both shafts up together the baseline shaft is a little longer (.5 inches maybe?) than my current PX LZ shaft.

I then got to work with my PX LZ shaft. After a few swings I knew my driver swing from the last week or 2 is still here. A lot of push fades. Wind was right into my face so I wasn't getting the distance I usually get. What I saw was pretty much what I've been seeing lately, a couple nice ones and some pulls but mostly push fades that would typically result in being in the rough on the course. Took about 15 swings then went to the baseline shaft.

Initial impression of the baseline shaft is that the characteristics are VERY similar to the PX LZ. I had a tough time determining the difference in weight while holding the club. If I were to guess the 2 clubs are within 5 grams of each other (the PX LZ is 56 grams). My guess is that the baseline shaft is probably somewhere between 54-59 grams, in other words; very similar weight.

After a few swings I noticed I was catching the ball a lot on the heel. I'm wondering if this was due to the little extra length of the baseline shaft. Moved a little further and was much more consistent finding the center. The push fade was still there but I do feel like overall my dispersion was tighter with the baseline. It wasn't going as far right as the LZ was. I also thought my good hits were going a little further with the baseline shaft as well. The ball flight also seemed to be slightly lower and more penetrating than the LZ.

Honestly, coming from the PX LZ the transition to this shaft was very easy. The 2 clubs feel and perform VERY similar. I wouldn't be surprised of the weight, torque and loading zone all extremely close to the LZ. I had a difficult time feeling where the loading zone was on this shaft but I also have a similar experience with the LZ.

To summarize; after my first range session the 2 shafts feel and perform very similar to each other. I'd say the baseline shaft had a slightly lower, more penetrating flight and the dispersion was a little tighter. I'll be taking the baseline shaft onto the course tomorrow and will report back on it's performance on the course. I'm playing my home course where I typically hit driver 12-13 times a round so I'll have plenty of feedback.

I SAID NO TASTING THE SHAFTS!!!

As for the launch monitor question, I think it would be better to get a little bit of time in first as your launch monitor numbers may skew your opinions one way or the other depending on how the numbers turn out. As the event gets closer if you want to get some numbers so we can dial in your ball flight a little more that would be fine.

DB

Some rules are meant to be broken DB!! That's like don't push the button.

As for the launch monitor question, I think it would be better to get a little bit of time in first as your launch monitor numbers may skew your opinions one way or the other depending on how the numbers turn out. As the event gets closer if you want to get some numbers so we can dial in your ball flight a little more that would be fine.

DB

Perfectly said.

I will wait until a about a week or two out to get launch monitor number then. Thanks for the heads up DB.

DB

Definitely going to follow this advice. Will probably try to get on a monitor the week before the event.

DB
Thanks for the clarification! Will stick to the range and the course for now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

DB
Um....Sorry I tasted it?

No LM for me then, I will go based solely on feel and experiences.

Update #2.
Click here to read update #1

Got out on the course this evening for nine holes and used the test shaft in my driver. Was short on time and wanted to finish before dark so headed straight to the first tee, no warm-up.

Hole #1 - par 5. Playing straight into a hard wind today. Good swing and tagged the ball well. Perfect looking trajectory and mid height with a little draw. Wind took a lot out of this one, it only went 220 yards but it felt great!

Hole #3 - par 4. Tricky drive here with a narrow fairway that slopes right. There are woods left that are a hazard and a few trees right. Another good swing and solid strike. Same trajectory as the first hole and the nice little draw again. This hole plays down hill but was dead into the wind today, though not as intense here as on the exposed first hole. 250 yards which is longer than usual on this hole for me.

Hole #4 - Par 4. Short hole that can be drivable when playing down wind. Today was a slight hurting wind that had some left to right in it. Poor swing trying to hit the ball too hard and caught the club face in the center but high. High ball flight due to that impact and lost some distance. Straight ball and in the fairway though.

Hole #5 - Par 4. Slight dog leg left. Fairway slopes to the right. Draw is a perfect play here and what I was hoping for after hole #1 and #3. Caught this on the heel and had a push right with some fade as a bonus. Hit the ball hard though, but ran into some trees.

Hole #6 - Par 5. Uphill par 5. Draw is a good play because the left of the fairway has plenty of room. I am down the right side hoping for that draw but another heel hit with the push right with fade. Ball hits a tree hard and then bounces right and into deep woods marked as lateral hazard.

Hole #8 - Par 4. Dogleg left that plays around a lake to the left side. Play is to aim at right fairway bunker and draw the ball into the fairway. I took aim but another heel hit and had a higher weak push fade into the right rough.

So the total tally is 3 fairway, 3 missed right. Two of the drives were just very solid, hope to see that more as I work with the shaft. Shaft feels fine in my swing, and 4 of the 6 hits were hit with a lot of power (for me).

Barry, do you think any slight torque adjustment might help you get just a little more draw?

Barry, do you think any slight torque adjustment might help you get just a little more draw?

I don't think it's Torque. I'm just not hitting the center of the club. When I did tonight I hit two great drives. Could be length a little and just adjusting to it. I never compared the length of the two shafts when not in the head. Will do that tomorrow.

I don't think it's Torque. I'm just not hitting the center of the club. When I did tonight I hit two great drives. Could be length a little and just adjusting to it. I never compared the length of the two shafts when not in the head. Will do that tomorrow.
Check the avatar.

I just got back from San Francisco last night (if you have not been to Alcatraz I highly recommend doing so. It could be the greatest place I've ever been in my life.) and before doing anything else I found my delivery and installed the shaft. She is a perfect 45" installed like I requested and gives the 815 DBD a no nonsense look. I quite like it. The first thing I noticed was a substantial increase in swing weight. My driver is currently D-4 and this feels like 4-5 points heavier now which I enjoy the feel of and has me eager to test. One of my all time favorite drivers is the Yonex Rekin Super II which had a swing weight around D-9 because of the Pendulum Power shaft and that club was a bomber. Just taking some swings outside this feels like it's gonna really hit through the ball and have excellent directional control.

So those are my initial impressions. I will be hitting it at the range this evening and will give my thoughts then.

Thanks to Project X and THP for this event. I cannot wait to get to San Diego.

5504221F-A23C-4520-A99C-A95C12D3C499_zps9f4qatzb.jpg

Last edited:

torque has come into my mind with several of the testers' feedback so far, but not from ball flight so much as feel. most of what i've read about torque seems to suggest that 1) it's overthought, 2) modern shafts are made with torque to match the stiffness profile, 3) there's no consistent measuring, and 4) if torque means anything to a modern golfer it's solely feel. it seems a lot of you have yet to fall in love with the feel of the shaft even if it is performing well, so i've been wondering whether torque is pretty low.

y'all are doing great with this so far! keep the updates coming.

I just got back from San Francisco last night (if you have not been to Alcatraz I highly recommend doing so. It could be the greatest place I've ever been in my life.)

5504221F-A23C-4520-A99C-A95C12D3C499_zps9f4qatzb.jpg

I think you meant the greatest place you've ever been in your life for at most the next 23 days.

As many are aware, a group of THPers are headed to San Diego to visit Project X HQ and create a completely custom shaft as part of the THP Event, The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X. Part of that event was being sent a "baseline" shaft so that upon arrival, Don and team can work with each THPer, to make sure they are creating the perfect shaft for their game.

Well the baseline shafts are shipping out from PX to the lucky THPers right now and this thread will serve as host for each one to keep a journal of their thoughts on feel, ball flight and so much more. Here is a look at the very cool shaft being sent out. For those of you that missed the info on this amazing THP Event, click here to get caught up on something special.

How cool is this shaft incorporating a bit of the THP Logo into it...

IMG_20150723_141340787-XL.jpg

Late to the reaction party, but that is AWESOME!!!!!!

I'd ask how many other people are getting this treatment but I think the answer is obvious. Welcome to jealousyville, population this guy.

I think you meant the greatest place you've ever been in your life for at most the next 23 days.

Of course you're right. The missus was in the room as I was typing and I can't have her thinking I'm gonna have the three greatest days of my life while she's at home with the kids.

I went to Alcatraz when I was 12. I did the Audio tour with my mom. She fast forwarded her tape. I followed mine. She lost me in a prison. I was lost in a !@#$%ing prison. I hate Alcatraz.

I went to Alcatraz when I was 12. I did the Audio tour with my mom. She fast forwarded her tape. I followed mine. She lost me in a prison. I was lost in a !@#$%ing prison. I hate Alcatraz.

That's just criminal.

Back