Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

Love the work you guys are putting in with the test shaft. Keep it up!

That's exactly what I was thinking when thinking about the round today. In fairness though both the 328 and 315 were downwind, took a helluva kick and ran like they were being chased.

When I was being fitted for my DBD my average drive was 291 with a long of 301. When I'm hitting well I do see those distances but I think a 280 average is more realistic.

I really can't stress how good center impact felt with this shaft. And even with my wild slices impact felt great. I'm hoping they'll reveal what they sent to us. I'm sure it will turn out mine is a 50 gram 4.5 flex :)

I so want your driver distances. I have to make up all my shots with irons, pitches, chips, and putts.

Me too haha. I'm not necessarily a short knocker, but averaging 280 would sure make things easier! #GalenBombs

Me too haha. I'm not necessarily a short knocker, but averaging 280 would sure make things easier! #GalenBombs

I think I just wrote his Hashtag contest entry

200_s.gif

That could have two meanings. I bomb some drives out in San Diego or fail to impress and totally bomb. I think it's time for some sit-ups.

Heading out to my home course tomorrow for 18. Hopefully I can drag myself out of bed early enough to hit some at the range before my round. Will post how it goes.

Enjoy reading about the week you guys are putting in with these shafts. Keep up the good work and info

Update #4. To read previous click here

Another late walking nine. Teed up right a 7pm. No warm up other than stretches on the tee box. Yardages are total distance with roll out and measured by skycaddie GPS.

#1 - Mid height and a slight draw just like I prefer. 241 yards, slightly uphill. Would take this drive all day long if I could get it!
#3 - Horrible swing. Should not even be talked about. very low and only 5 feet off the ground. But was a fairway hit if only just 215 yards!
#4 - Low height and fading. Ended up in fairway. Forgot to measure this one.
#5 - Mid height and fading. Ended up just inches off the fairway. Also forgot to measure this one.
#6 - Mid height and a nice draw. Hole plays up hill so was impressed with the 245 yards total distance. Good drive for me on this hole.
#9 - Mid height and fading. Struck decently though. A bank with bermuda rough is on the right though so that shortened the drive. 233 yards.

So same pattern as last night. Only 2 drives that I was happy with though 4 of 6 did find the fairway. Not sure what it is but I'm having to work harder to get this club squared than I did with the LZ. Maybe its continued heel hits? Length of the shaft? Still haven't measured it against the LZ. I'll do that tomorrow. Also going to dig out some impact tape and see where I'm hitting on the face. Will have another update tomorrow!

Update #4. To read previous click here

Another late walking nine. Teed up right a 7pm. No warm up other than stretches on the tee box. Yardages are total distance with roll out and measured by skycaddie GPS.

#1 - Mid height and a slight draw just like I prefer. 241 yards, slightly uphill. Would take this drive all day long if I could get it!
#3 - Horrible swing. Should not even be talked about. very low and only 5 feet off the ground. But was a fairway hit if only just 215 yards!
#4 - Low height and fading. Ended up in fairway. Forgot to measure this one.
#5 - Mid height and fading. Ended up just inches off the fairway. Also forgot to measure this one.
#6 - Mid height and a nice draw. Hole plays up hill so was impressed with the 245 yards total distance. Good drive for me on this hole.
#9 - Mid height and fading. Struck decently though. A bank with bermuda rough is on the right though so that shortened the drive. 233 yards.

So same pattern as last night. Only 2 drives that I was happy with though 4 of 6 did find the fairway. Not sure what it is but I'm having to work harder to get this club squared than I did with the LZ. Maybe its continued heel hits? Length of the shaft? Still haven't measured it against the LZ. I'll do that tomorrow. Also going to dig out some impact tape and see where I'm hitting on the face. Will have another update tomorrow!
Are you bringing this shaft to Savannah next weekend?

Are you bringing this shaft to Savannah next weekend?
Yes, I'll have it with me. Debating whether to switch to the LZ for the Invitational round. Going to see if I can't correct my swing a bit over the weekend with the tester to lessen the fade I'm seeing.

Took the test shaft and my Fubuki ZT to the range today and it was more of the same. I can't say how far the ball was traveling but when I connect I really get a sense of the club loading and unloading. As for an idea where the kick point is I wouldn't even begin to guess. Off center shots don't seem to twist the shaft much but again when I go after it I get the high slice. My Fubuki by comparison definitely feels more stout and when I lean into that one I get a lower trajectory fade. That said in terms of feel at impact, I'll take the Project X every time and when I catch it I feel as though I am getting better distance than the Fubuki.

The next range session I'll put the Project X up against my Rogue 60 110 MSI. That shaft feels better than the Fubuki ZT so this should be an interesting comparison.

Update #1 here
Update #2 here

Today was an awful round. 3 swings put me in the crap overall, won't mention the score, it's best forgotten. But with the exception of one drive, I struck it ok with the Vapor/test combo. Hole by hole:

Hole 1: Absolutely atrocious swing, all hip turn and hands were way behind. High push fade OB. Re-tee and hit a better ball, pushed slightly but ended up just off the right side of the fairway.
DISTANCE: 245

Hole 3: Again a slight push, again just off the right side of the fairway in a decent spot.
DISTANCE: About 260

Hole 6: Came out of the swing a bit and caught it low on the face, but it still went straight and achieved respectable distance (via rollout).
DISTANCE: About 220

Hole 7: Solid swing, another slight push though. Again just off the right fairway.
DISTANCE: About 250

Hole 8: Downhill but into the wind. Hit my most solid drive of the day, nice 10 yard draw down the hill that left me only a full GW in.
DISTANCE: 290

Hole 9: High push into the wind, which killed the distance. Not a great way to close, but didn't kill me.
DISTANCE: About 220

Basically I've been overcompensating for my hook trying to avoid hitting it, and thus been pushing it a lot. I still really like the way the club feels, particularly when I put something on it - it really seems to respond well to an aggressive move. Conversely, it does seem to feel a bit harsher when mishit on the toe (which is my miss). The results aren't usually bad, but you feel the twisting resistance.

Hoping to get out for another range session Saturday and try and find the middle ground between push and hook.

Last edited:
Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

Played my first round at Mirimichi today in Memphis. Shot a nice three over 75 with 9/14 fairways hit and 2 birdies (one missed fairway was with a 3 wood). Overall, I really liked the demo shaft. I do feel like I'm losing about 10-15 yards over my old shafts, but I was very consistent. I think the feel is great and I just need to raise the launch up a bit with it during tweak time. I was consistently into the wind and downwind all round with short drives of 220 and long drives of 295-300. I was probably averaging about 250-260. Pleased so far, but have to raise the launch up a bit to get a little more distance.

Last edited:
Nice feedback Courtney, and GREAT pics!

Sounds like you are having a similar experience to me, insofar as distance and launch. I feel like I hit the Velox a little farther, but I need to check that for sure on an LM prior to the event (not until closer, don't worry DB).

Guys lets keep this one to the shaft feedback so that we have thorough areas we can go back and read for everybody. The pictures of the course are great, but we should save those for the appropriate thread. Thanks.

You guys are really putting the test shafts through the paces. No doubt you will kill it in San Diego. All this talk about the test shaft. It's easy to forget (for us) that you're going to create your own personal shaft. Just unbelievable.

Last edited:
Took the test shaft and the Rogue to the range this morning and they are very similar in terms of feel. The Fubuki ZT is out of the bag. Feel, launch and distance are very comparable. If the Project X shaft was a bit stiffer I don't think I'd feel a difference. Both feel incredible at impact. So all further testing will be done between these two.

I was finally able to lay into a drive with the Project X and turn the slice into a high fade but I felt like I really had to manipulate my hands to do so. When I hit a draw I get so much roll it's ridiculous. I wonder if I'm maximizing carry though. It's a very medium ball flight and maybe it is optimal but I'd be curious to see if a shaft that throws it up a bit higher can add some distance.

So far though if this shaft were a bit stiffer I'd take it as is in a heartbeat.

It sounds like a lot of us are all thinking a bit more launch would be highly beneficial. I really am starting to love the feel of this shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appliance delivery, furniture repair, and pool issues prevented me from getting to swing this for the last two days. I hope to provide more feedback this weekend, probably Sunday, but if the weather stays below 105, I will try to get to the range Sat afternoon.

My overall thought so far is that the shaft feels great and I'm getting a medium-low launch out of it. I think I want to lower the raise the kick point just a little. The feel is great and I'm pretty consistent with it. I'm not getting the "launcher" feel from this shaft, much more of a "tank" feel. Good weight and goes straight down the middle.

Can you explain this part?

Ha typo. Overall, this shaft is pretty low launch for me. I feel I have to help get the ball into the air (with my swing) to get more distance from it, but I am really consistent with it and I love the feel.

What little I know of shaft technology, a low kick point will have a higher ball flight and a higher kick point will give a lower ball flight. I meant to say "lower the kick point" and am bad at typing on my phone :)

I have been seeing a mid to sometimes high launch personally. I would like to get some LM data to prove it but I feel like the launch is ideal for me. I was thinking a tad lighter would be a change I might consider. For me when I swing my usual 85 to 90% swing it produces the perfect little fade for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Update #5 - to read previous updates click here

Got out for 18 today. Had time for a warm up session and used some impact tape to see where I'm hitting on the club face. I've been suspecting heel shots have been the cause of the dominate fade I've been seeing and I was right. Here is the impact tape from the range:

20150731_205845_zps8b5qdaoz.jpg

Not really ideal! Used some more impact tape for the first several holes I played out on the course and here they are:

20150731_171343_zpsaejmezcc.jpg

Ok, Here is a quick recap of tee shots from today's holes where I hit driver. Did no distance measuring today:

#1 - Mid height fade - finished in the rough right of cart path on the right side of fairway. Ok distance.
#3 - Mid height hook - trying to make sure I impacted the middle I stood further away from the ball and produced a big hook into the trees. punch out.
#4 - Mid height draw - Very good drive. This is a short drive-able par 4 and I reached the front part of the green. About 260 to the front edge from the tees I was playing. Was playing downhill and downwind which helped.
#5 - Mid height weak fade - playable and in fairway but well short of usual distance on this hole.
#6 - Mid height and straight - Very good drive. Into the wind and uphill. No distance measurement but I was very happy.
These holes above were the one's on the second impact tape picture.
#9 - Low height draw - but very long. Happy with this one.
#10 - Mid height fade - Got a lucky bounce off a bank right of the cart path and ended up back in the fairway. Good have been in rough right.
#11 - High height draw - center contact it felt like but high on the face. Good drive though.
#12 - High height straight - center contact but high. Was happy with this drive.
#14 - High height draw - center contact but high. Long too. Reached a fairway bunker on second bounce.
#15 - Mid height draw - Best hit of day. Solid and very good length for me.
#16 - Mid height fade - Very slight fade here and hit solid so maybe just a touch toward heel on impact.

That's it. I was frustrated on the range but found a better swing on the back nine. Best day with the test shaft so far. Hit 9/12 Fairways today that I used Driver on. Happy with 7 of the drives I hit today.

I measured the test shaft compared to my stock LZ shaft as well. LZ is on the left, Test on the right. So the test shaft is a touch longer. Heel hits are a typical miss for me but this little bit of length in the test shaft might be why I'm hitting more heel. Will get out again on Sunday and see what we can do with the tester.

20150731_203545_zps0t05jhmg.jpg

Barry, you allergic to the toe or something? Jeez, hit one out there - toes need friends, too!!

Nice work fellas. I can see everyone is putting their test shaft through its paces.

One request for either JB or one of you lucky participants:
Can someone post everyone's information in ONE SINGLE post? Preferable in post #1 of this thread. I think this will help everyone following along better. I need to know which THPer represents golfer ME so I can pay better attention. THANKS ?
1. THP Screen Name
2. Driver Head (Model and loft)
3. Current Shaft (Model, Length, and Flex)
4. Swing Characteristics (Tempo, Swing Speed, and Avg. Carry)

Back