First Irons You Ever Bought?

Walking through Costco, circa 2010, and found a 13-club set of TaylorMade R7s. I didn't play golf then but decided to give it a go. Buying those clubs literally changed my life. :)

Cobra Bafflers. I couldn't get used to the look of them. The top lines were weird, but they sure were easy to hit. I replaced them with the ugly as sin BioCells which I played until I bought the F9 One Length. You don't see the back of the club when you play the club.

TaylorMade Super Burner Plus

Not hand me downs or something used, what is the first new set of irons you ever bought?
First brand new set of irons that I ever bought were Callaway Apex13. In fact, looking for reviews of them is what brought me to this site. It was in 2017 and a seller on ebay had a set that was still wrapped in the plastic.

Actually, if you want to get technical, the first brand new set of irons that I ever bought weren't even for me. They were for my wife several years ago. Took her to a Van's golf shop and got her "fitted" for a brand new set of Tour Edge Moda clubs.

Nike Machspeeds lol

Callaway Steelhead X-14 with uni-flex shafts.

Ping Zing Orange Dot (2*flat). Great distance and feel with them but I never could get my alignment straight with them. Sold them after the season and bought my first set of Callaway Big Bertha irons.

1999 - Taylor Made Super Steel 3 iron through PW

First set that wasn't a hand-me-down was a 3H-PW set of Taylormade Burner 2.0's.

After I won a tournament my dad got me into he bought me a set of shiny Power Bilt Citations. He had done a little betting with some of his fellow employees who thought his hippie looking son would be easy money. Sunk a 15 foot putt for par on 18 and shot a 69. 1974ish. First set I personally ever boufht new was a set of Hogan Apex PC irons.

Haven’t bought a brand new set. Closest I’ll get will be the Cobra FTxs coming to me sometime soon!

The first "real" clubs I bought were a set of Faultless Irons. This would have been in the mid-70s and were endorsed by Lee Trevino. Since then I have moved through Pings (Eye2s & Zings), Callaways, Adams, KZGs, Taylormades, and Mizunos. Oh yeah, I am currently playinga PXG Driver, 3 & 5 metals!

Snake Eyes Python OS

e4727c211098dc8ffaf1f11b58b95469.jpg

Prima III irons. Ping knock offs. Look @JB no ferrules..

1655846468051.png

From the NEX catalog. I was in Puerto Rico at the time stationed at Roosevelt Roads.
I was at NAS Brunswick Maine but bought my Pings from a little shop near Augusta. I also bought a persimmon Sounder driver.

2007 Cobra FP

1655846937262.jpeg

First new set I bought myself were Cobra Forged Tec 2020s

First new set I received though were Nike Vapor Flys in 2016. Didn't get a new set until the FTs

Ben Hogan Edge GS, 2-E, Apex 3.0 (Reg) shafts

1655847851995.png

Snake Eyes blades I put together with my dad, I think they were 600B.

Back