First Look – Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Bird of Prey and Ten Putters

I'm super intrigued by the insert. I have a stroke lab EXO 7 which the head feels large to me coming from the o-works. I tend to leave putts short so the firmer insert may be the ticket for me. The BOP seems like my style since I'm a big mallet fan but I'll have to roll them both for sure based on the feedback so far.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I'm super intrigued by the insert. I have a stroke lab EXO 7 which the head feels large to me coming from the o-works. I tend to leave putts short so the firmer insert may be the ticket for me. The BOP seems like my style since I'm a big mallet fan but I'll have to roll them both for sure based on the feedback so far.

I've not rolled the EXO's so I'm no help there, but isn't that the same insert as in the SL Silver's? If so, you will definitely notice a firmness increase, for sure. But, its not harsh.

can you put a different neck style into a mallet that comes with double bend? I tend to not enjoy the double bends

can you put a different neck style into a mallet that comes with double bend? I tend to not enjoy the double bends
Are you talking like installing a single bend or straight shaft?

Are you talking like installing a single bend or straight shaft?

yes basically. I assume doing something like a slant neck would not be possible due to what the putter was drilled/made for, but a long pipe or something similar that would allow a little toe hang.

from what I have gathered, the biggest issue would be lie angle moving from the Double to a single? it would give toe hang which is nice. So possible, but would need to bend the shaft flatter

I've not rolled the EXO's so I'm no help there, but isn't that the same insert as in the SL Silver's? If so, you will definitely notice a firmness increase, for sure. But, its not harsh.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't try the silvers but I think you're right. If the new insert is firmer it may be right up my alley. Does the bird of prey seem much larger when addressing the ball? Size wise it looks like they are more similar than I originally thought which makes that shape speak to me.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't try the silvers but I think you're right. If the new insert is firmer it may be right up my alley. Does the bird of prey seem much larger when addressing the ball? Size wise it looks like they are more similar than I originally thought which makes that shape speak to me.

Nope, it doesn't. Only thing noticeable is its a little wider heel to toe.

Nope, it doesn't. Only thing noticeable is its a little wider heel to toe.
It's a good thing I have some hidden PayPal funds I'm thinking. Thanks for your feedback.

I see Rick Shiels discussed the "Spider in the room" about the Odyssey Ten. I am guessing he read all the comments (including one from me) about how Sean Toulon was the designer of the original spider and so it wasn't just a copy or stealing of product. He does like the Odyssey Ten

What’s a Shiels? Wonder if he read my intro article on the homepage. Probably not, he’d have known the answer to his click bait. ;)

What’s a Shiels? Wonder if he read my intro article on the homepage. Probably not, he’d have known the answer to his click bait. ;)

I mean c’mon. He needs to check out THP or he is just misinformed, right?:welcome:

I mean c’mon. He needs to check out THP or he is just misinformed, right?:welcome:
Imo, there’s truth to that, but clearly I’m biased.

We tend to get more right from the manufacturers than most, where a lot of the video only guys are all about the shock statements.

Oh, and I’ll have an update on these today here in a bit. :devilish:

I have a ten slant neck on the way. Plan is to replace the grip with a lamkin deep etch cord when it gets in. I really like the look of the putter with the combination of horizontal and vertical lines. Hope it putts as well as it looks.

Hello

4434182B-05E9-44FF-B539-3408F14E1442.jpeg
FCCF1C92-9F5E-4F33-811A-712268A88CA6.jpeg

Admit it Alex, it looks pretty badass in hand.

Admit it Alex, it looks pretty badass in hand.

Oh it does. But you know what, so does the BOP too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh it does. But you know what, so does the BOP too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BoP is a slllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeper.

Truth. I have made more putts with it, and more confidently.

BoP is a slllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeper.

Truth. I have made more putts with it, and more confidently.

It’s crazy Insane how the picture are so misleading on the actual size and ease the BOP rolls.

It’s crazy Insane how the picture are so misleading on the actual size and ease the BOP rolls.
It truly is. And I’m SUPER happy it was sent in for review because otherwise I’d have just kept with my initial assumptions.

It might be the better putter of the two.

This BOP talk isn’t going to be good for my wallet.

I went crazy when I saw it in person. So very giddy to grab one.

I’ve always been a fan of the shape, so I can understand the sentiments haha

This BOP talk isn’t going to be good for my wallet.

I won’t lie, it was tough to not walk away with BOP instead of Ten. It’s that good

I’ve always been a fan of the shape, so I can understand the sentiments haha

So here’s my take on spider vs ten:

Ten shape wise is different because the contours seem to blend better towards the weights in the back end of the putter.

Spider seems to sole a bit cleaner for me but as noted previously, the ten sits pretty damn square at address.

Insert on ten is firmer than previous SL insert but auditory response with CSX and -proV1x seemed to roll out just the same.

Spider weighting is pretty darn good considering an all steel shaft is used where as the stroke lab shaft in Ten is balanced even when using an oversized stock grip.

Back