First Look – Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Bird of Prey and Ten Putters

Very nice write up.

The ten is going to be BIG next year and going into the holiday season as well.

I noticed like an earlier post the price increase of $50. I am surprised Callaway is increasing the putter costs by that much so fast for the Stroke Line. I would guess we see increases from most OEM companies as well going into next year.

Great write up. I like both shapes.

Awesome write up, Jman - really intrigued by the insert as my one complaint with my exo marxman s is that it’s just too soft

Can you expand on the bolded? The reason I ask is because in a different thread earlier this year, you remarked how you liked a putter because it felt super soft (milled putter). Is it an insert sound vs milled sound? Maybe this was even softer?

Can you expand on the bolded? The reason I ask is because in a different thread earlier this year, you remarked how you liked a putter because it felt super soft (milled putter). Is it an insert sound vs milled sound? Maybe this was even softer?
I think you are referring to the swag putter? Different beast, obviously. Trying to word this the right way...

I like the soft feel / sound off of that milled face but it was firm enough to know how hard I was hitting it on longer putts. Does that make sense?

I love the white hot Microhinge for putts inside 10’, like a lot. I feel like I can make everything. On longer putts, however, I lose a feel for it. It could be the sound, too. Either way, it’s hard for me to control distance.

I think you are referring to the swag putter? Different beast, obviously. Trying to word this the right way...

I like the soft feel / sound off of that milled face but it was firm enough to know how hard I was hitting it on longer putts. Does that make sense?

I love the white hot Microhinge for putts inside 10’, like a lot. I feel like I can make everything. On longer putts, however, I lose a feel for it. It could be the sound, too. Either way, it’s hard for me to control distance.

Im not sure which putter it was, but thank you for clarification. Its early and I was confused.

Im not sure which putter it was, but thank you for clarification. Its early and I was confused.
Of course! I’m really looking forward to more feedback on these.

Nice write up @Jman I will reserve judgment until I can see them in hand, they just look big to me, that being said I play a blade so everything looks big to me.

I think I need a slant neck #10 in my life.

Well done Jman! These are going to sell really well but I’m going to grab some popcorn for the Internet debate

I love my friends over at Callaway... but I legit don't know how they can get away with the Ten shape/design.

Great review James. Bird of prey is such a great name like that design too

I love my friends over at Callaway... but I legit don't know how they can get away with the Ten shape/design.

Look at it like this. If Michael Vrska had gone to Callaway as head of R&D and they came out with a set of irons that had something resembling power holes, it would make some sense, because he led the design team that created that product at Wilson.

In this instance, Sean Toulon led the team that created the Spider Putter (which also had Jose from Cobra on it by the way) so it seems pretty logical to re-create a super popular model. With that said, as a company they have hammered TaylorMade for High-Toe, Marxman rip-off, #FakeTruvis, etc. So they have to know it is coming with this one.

Great write ups, can't wait to see how the review for both putters goes. Really digging the BOP design, very cool looking!

"worked up into a feverish lather of keyboard clacking"

that right there is so true, and some damn fine writing!!!

10 with double bend please and thank you. but if they can find a way to get the tuttle's triple track alignment aid on the head, they will have achieved mallet nirvana.

Slant #10 would be awesome. Just like all the faux 7's and ansers out there, I'm not opposed to this. I'm also a big redacted fan, and have one personally, so the shape is something I am familiar with. More MOI though? Innnnteresting. Definitely want to give it a go.

Saw these on social media this AM. Birds of Prey is the shape for me. Cannot wait to see in person. Looking forward to testing one out.

Look at it like this. If Michael Vrska had gone to Callaway as head of R&D and they came out with a set of irons that had something resembling power holes, it would make some sense, because he led the design team that created that product at Wilson.

In this instance, Sean Toulon led the team that created the Spider Putter (which also had Jose from Cobra on it by the way) so it seems pretty logical to re-create a super popular model. With that said, as a company they have hammered TaylorMade for High-Toe, Marxman rip-off, #FakeTruvis, etc. So they have to know it is coming with this one.
Bingo.

And hey, I gave them copious grief when we first saw these sneak out on tour, but only because in the past they have been FAST to give other companies grief for mimicking what they do, even when there are advancements/changes.

In the end though its like I said in the article, id it really THAT big of a surprise/disappointment/whatever? I'd even go so far as to say they would be doing a disservice to NOT have that shape in their arsenal, and I'm shocked it hadn't happened earlier.

Legendary shapes in putters, TRULY legendary, can be counted on one hand, and the #7 is one of them.

"worked up into a feverish lather of keyboard clacking"

that right there is so true, and some damn fine writing!!!

10 with double bend please and thank you. but if they can find a way to get the tuttle's triple track alignment aid on the head, they will have achieved mallet nirvana.
Glad someone appreciated that! HAHA!:p

I've been wanting to add a mallet with some toe hang to my repertoire, and I'm pretty sure the #10 will fill that role nicely. I'm going to scour ebay for one with a different alignment setup.
I really enjoy the Microhinge in the OG SL putters, but if this insert is a little firmer that can only be better IMO.

I've been wanting to add a mallet with some toe hang to my repertoire, and I'm pretty sure the #10 will fill that role nicely. I'm going to scour ebay for one with a different alignment setup.
I really enjoy the Microhinge in the OG SL putters, but if this insert is a little firmer that can only be better IMO.
I think the insert story is getting lost in the head shapes, which I guess is to be expected initially, but I agree with this.

The Bird Of Prey reminds me of the D.A.R.T putter in terms of shape and footprint. I know that putter worked well for a lot of golfers.

The Ten is the one that will draw the most scrutiny based on the shape and TM already having that one out on the market. I think you add the SL tech along with the microhinge insert and you will see a lot of player really liking this one.

neither really call my attention or make me want to go out and get one, but I can't wait to see how many #TheGrandaddy participants put one of these in the bag if they are offered.

I say let all the companies do their best version.

The best product wins in the end, almost as much as we as golfers win for the variety of options in said heads.

They already do with the anser. I don't think there are many companies out there that don't have their version of it.

Back