First Look: Ben Hogan UiHi Utility Club

More today! Will try to get some 4 UiHi numbers to compare.

*sigh* i have a while then, ordered mine on the 24th......
I told you all....

It’s a good thing though for Hogan, then being busy is good for us all....plus it’s worth the wait....

More 3 UiHi data this evening after my iPad recharges.

Quick hits:

1) I’m shocked at how well I’m hitting an 18.0 degree iron, and how high I’m hitting it, and how long.

2) The feel/sound is perfect. I mean that, it’s effing perfect.

3) I’m holding back some subliminally with the shaft setup and I know it, I think I’ve got enough stock data for the article that I may make a change there tonight. :unsure:

The sleeper-iness (my made up term) of these is pretty notable.

I’m hung up on the flight and accuracy mixed with the feel that’s on par with the PTx Pro and ICON’s. How Hogan balanced all this is just sheer impressive.

More 3 UiHi data this evening after my iPad recharges.

Quick hits:

1) I’m shocked at how well I’m hitting an 18.0 degree iron, and how high I’m hitting it, and how long.

2) The feel/sound is perfect. I mean that, it’s effing perfect.

3) I’m holding back some subliminally with the shaft setup and I know it, I think I’ve got enough stock data for the article that I may make a change there tonight. :unsure:

So this vs. the Cobra utility? Hows the comparison?

So this vs. the Cobra utility? Hows the comparison?

Different beasts. Tec is lower spin, wider sole, distance heavy. The UiHi is a more iron like experience where it comes to flowing into a set. Both very good at what they do.

Tec sounds/feels like the Tec irons, more firm, but still pleasing. The UiHi make me want to use terms that I loathe to describe the pure feel.

Another 3 UiHi session as promised, directional data included as I had time to set the unit properly on an way too hot and empty course.

Have to go take care of kids, I'll circle back for discussion this evening.

This is the 18.0 3 UiHi at standard loft and lie.

EDIT: I want to add, this was into a head wind and my goal was actually to try and knock it down into the wind a little, to see if I could, and if I could keep speed and how easy it is to manipulate the club....it was a success...

3%20UiHi%20Aligned-L.png

Another 3 UiHi session as promised, directional data included as I had time to set the unit properly on an way too hot and empty course.

EDIT: I want to add, this was into a head wind and my goal was actually to try and knock it down into the wind a little, to see if I could, and if I could keep speed and how easy it is to manipulate the club....it was a success...

3%20UiHi%20Aligned-L.png
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I’m going to be playing around with a 3 iron and a 5 wood for low, piercing shots for those windy days and take the 3 hybrid out. If I don’t get what something I can work with, this might be my Father’s day/birthday gift.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I’m going to be playing around with a 3 iron and a 5 wood for low, piercing shots for those windy days and take the 3 hybrid out. If I don’t get what something I can work with, this might be my Father’s day/birthday gift.
It’s funny, it’s become a consideration for me the more I work on reviewing this one, rotating a 5w or 3U based on conditions could be useful with the distance I’m getting.

Even though the 148 ball speed one I know makes @ddec hate me more. It was an overcooked drawer, but I’ll take it still lmao ;)

Jerk

3%20UiHi%20Aligned-L.png
Quote bumping this for the morning crowd.

Also want to dive in a bit to the fact that I was able to hit some really nice flatter shots off the tee and into the 12-13 mph head wind yesterday. This is twofold important because it’s a 3i that I’m having to work a little to flight down, which is a testament to how easy it’s been to hit the 18.0 utility, as well as the general playability of a long iron with such classic looks.

Now, this one is imo still on the more demanding end of the utility spectrum given its thinner sole and smaller overall profile next to the Forged Tec, U85 and the likes. So, I’m. It saying every golfer can go grab this and play 3i’s with little fear of punishment. But, the misses aren’t as crazy, yes there is a hard over draw in the data where I got a little toey and released hard, the misses are there, but it wants to stay in the field of play even With a decent drop off of speed on larger misses.

More than that, it’s harder off the deck the lower the loft still, as any iron is. I’m having a ton of success there still launching it into the 30+ yard real from the turf but if you’re not comfortable with a long-long iron then it may not be the case.

The good news? The price is insane at 110, so it might be an easier gamble for some. My nitpick is a fitting thing and that’s in the shaft options available, I wish they had a true X option that isn’t steel in there, but I’m in the minority by far. The 780 Smacwrap is going to be a very nice option for the big majority imo.

Have questions? Please ask. I’m here, and I love golf gear talk.

One last morning feedback nudge for any questions or comments on the clubs, design, performance, or whatever (y)

I've ordered mine in steel to match the irons - it's likely I'll switch it out to graphite but thought I'd give it a try first.....

I've ordered mine in steel to match the irons - it's likely I'll switch it out to graphite but thought I'd give it a try first.....
I look forward to what you think!

I’ve got enough data for my article now, so I’m going to do a little tinkering with the 3 UiHi and see the effects, I’ve got an uncut Mitsubishi Chemical MMT 3 iron shaft here that’s just the ticket....

So are these going to be in you bag for awhile now?

So are these going to be in you bag for awhile now?
Reviewing the 3, so I’m not working it to see if it’ll be in the bag or not, just for if it does what it claims. I bought the 4 as part of the Players Combo set so it’ll be there as long as the irons are (y)

A 3i doesn’t behoove me a lot of places I play, other than on windy days when it could rotate in.

I’ve got enough data for my article now, so I’m going to do a little tinkering with the 3 UiHi and see the effects, I’ve got an uncut Mitsubishi Chemical MMT 3 iron shaft here that’s just the ticket....

After three rounds I enjoy the 3 UiHi when I hit it well, but I am mis-hitting it more than usual. Might need a shaft change as well to see if that helps. I should probably go hit a bucket at the range with it first to be fair.

Back