Harry = Jimmy Hart
Finley = million dollar man
Ethan = bushwhacker luke
Chad = Model Rick Martel
Rhi = sensational shari
Jrod = Booker T
AJ = the miz
Goryl = 123 kid

It's been kind of a hot topic around these forums, and I'm curious how would you respond to golfers/customers who might be upset with the number of club releases in a year? Not just Callaway in general, but in the golf industry as a whole.

A couple of things:
The number of releases has slowed down over the past 12 months as an industry.
For Callaway, we've been the only OEM to have experience increased retail prices (prices people actually pay for our products in the shop) in woods and irons each of the last 2 years.

there's no question the industry, and in particular TaylorMade and Callaway, have been aggressive in launching new products the past 3-5 years. We think that's mostly a good thing for consumers and the industry. And we definitely want to make sure we are responsible about how we do it and when we do it.

If you look at some of the more "conservative" companies, they both just launched 3 drivers each this past Fall and Spring. So they agree too, I would guess.

How many days of scripting do you send to your staffers for a tournament?

If there is a rain delay and they have to play Monday, would they wash and repeat or would you get them something else?

We don't really do a scripting like that, per se.

When I have worked for companies in the past that scripted, we would script all 4 and wouldn't really have a rain day contingency.

What's your favorite snack you can't resist?

Do you have a go to chewing gum of choice?

Do you ever/still get start struck when you talk to some of the guys on Tour? Any of them?

How do you ensure that fitters across the country are competent at providing a proper club fitting experience to the consumer (especially regarding the Bertha line with gravity core, weights and multiple shafts)?

Being firmly entrenched in the #ImWithChad group, give me/us three GOOD reasons, golf related or not, why we need to change our minds and join Team Harry.

Well, I only really need to give you one reason:

Chad's record against me the last 3 years in all competitions is about 1-18.

'Nuff said.

Harry, how much confidence can you have with the golfdigest report? (18 golds). I mean face it, their top course(s) list is pretty bad

Contrary to some of the propaganda, their testing protocol is the most robust in the world by any third party. Second place isn't even close. And, they take it the most seriously by extremely knowledgeable, honest people. I think the best question is are the results correlated to what we see in sales that year. That can be debated, which we do with them all the time! haha

Any chance we're going to see more options for the Aqua Dry bags in the near future? #NotEnoughBLUE

I think so. We are just getting started with that line.

Recently, you had a "tweet" conversation with another rep for a competitor company re: the Callaway Chromesoft and the marketing behind this. Personal feelings aside about his tactics or allegations, when others go on the offensive like this, do you see this as a positive sign that what you are doing is working to gain market share and has the competition worried about their potential losses?

I see it as completely positive and a sign that what we are doing is right and working. I doesn't bother me at all. And yes, they are very concerned about what we've done with this ball and how we are going to market with it. But it will make them better, once they get over the early stages of anger and denial! haha.

What are your biggest areas of focus in 2015?

Any worries about this terrible weather?

Can't control the weather, so not worried. Rounds played were up in January, so that's good.

Focus areas are continuing to make great products, create advocates, and continuing to innovate within the sphere of influence with constant engagement.

How much of a delay in getting product out to consumers/retailers were you experiencing with the Port strike?

Good question. We had contingencies in place knowing this was coming but it's made it hard for anybody who has overseas production, as we do in all categories but golf ball.

Talk me into buying XR Pro irons before #TheKing. I loved them when I hit them, but what are the selling points that are going to make them an upgrade from your average 3-5 year old GI iron.

These are significantly longer through the entire set, preternaturally so in the mid and long irons. They instantly should give you more power.

Hi, Harry.

Will we see a return of APW in any upcoming driver launches, or was that a one & done idea? Any chance we'll see it in a fairway wood?

Magic 8 Ball says you will see that technology again in a meaner form!

What's your favorite snack you can't resist?

Do you have a go to chewing gum of choice?

Do you ever/still get start struck when you talk to some of the guys on Tour? Any of them?

Snack-very into the new waved cheez its.
Don't chew gum, so I'm out. Ask Aj Voelpel. He's our gum guy.
No on the start struck thing on Tour, but Arnold Palmer is close.

How do you ensure that fitters across the country are competent at providing a proper club fitting experience to the consumer (especially regarding the Bertha line with gravity core, weights and multiple shafts)?
Big area of emphasis with us. We work with them tirelessly and it's an area we've invested heavily into the past 3 years. Fitting tools, education, etc.

Major themed bags. Internet golfers love them, some companies seem to have moved away from those. I can't remember if what I saw earlier this year was a major bag or just the headcovers. Any chance we see four again this year?

A couple of things:
The number of releases has slowed down over the past 12 months as an industry.
For Callaway, we've been the only OEM to have experience increased retail prices (prices people actually pay for our products in the shop) in woods and irons each of the last 2 years.

there's no question the industry, and in particular TaylorMade and Callaway, have been aggressive in launching new products the past 3-5 years. We think that's mostly a good thing for consumers and the industry. And we definitely want to make sure we are responsible about how we do it and when we do it.

If you look at some of the more "conservative" companies, they both just launched 3 drivers each this past Fall and Spring. So they agree too, I would guess.

I definitely agree that more options are better for the consumer. And thanks for your reply, I've always wondered how the companies felt about this topic.

Are you ready for December yet Harry? I know I am.

Major themed bags. Internet golfers love them, some companies seem to have moved away from those. I can't remember if what I saw earlier this year was a major bag or just the headcovers. Any chance we see four again this year?

We are skipping the first one. But we are doing the other three.

Any chance of a > 45" driver coming to market for the masses?

Last edited:
I definitely agree that more options are better for the consumer. And thanks for your reply, I've always wondered how the companies felt about this topic.
We are definitely sensitive to it and listen to people's opinions on it. We've also done things to address the concerns, such as our trade in program in the Fall, performance guarantee, etc.

Back