Florida vacation help needed

Well, the plans got put on hold. My mother-in-law may have a cracked spine (osteoporosis) and she is the primary option for overnight child care. But I will hang onto these. Question, when does the "off season" end down there?

It can vary, but the general rule is May through September is 100% off season.

Well, the plans got put on hold. My mother-in-law may have a cracked spine (osteoporosis) and she is the primary option for overnight child care. But I will hang onto these. Question, when does the "off season" end down there?
Easter ends our busy season typically, and it starts after Thanksgiving...

Is there a sweet spot where it's not too hot but still in the off season period?

Is there a sweet spot where it's not too hot but still in the off season period?

Not really. Its like saying is there a time in winter in Michigan where its not too cold.

The summer months are going to be warm. Its the beach though. Its supposed to be warm. Nice breeze from the gulf and its great.

May is hit or miss. After that it's going to be hot.

Florida vacation help needed

I'll be down there Memorial Day week.

Will all the snowbirds be gone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vast majority

No. You'll be down here...

I need a round with Jrod

Damn right.

Wonder how upset the wife will be when in golfing every day ahaha

We won't tell her. Haha

Jrod,
Based on where you are going to be staying, you wont really have to encounter too many snowbirds in that area. Moving west towards the beach there are some obviously, but most are gone by then.

What about the Panhandle area, I know there are some nice resorts in the Fort Walton Beach and Destin areas. The beaches up there are some of the prettiest around.

But the downside is golf is probably not as good as the west coast area of Central Florida, and I dont' know about any THP'ers in that area.

I lived in Destin and loved it. Golf is there not too far from Pensacola airport or Panama City. Little more laid back, beautiful beachs, and more towards family, not a ton of night clubs or anything but a cool place none the less.

You would be hard pressed to find more beautiful beaches in FL than in Destin. Golf, restaurants and shopping are plentiful as well. There is actually a fairly active airport between Niceville and Ft. Walton Beach that would cut the commute time down from flying into Pensacola or Panama City.

Not really. Its like saying is there a time in winter in Michigan where its not too cold.

The summer months are going to be warm. Its the beach though. Its supposed to be warm. Nice breeze from the gulf and its great.

I don't know if you remember or not, but at the Saturday dinner in Indy I went down with double leg cramps. Unfortunately that happens to me a lot no matter how much I hydrate. I suffered a minor heat stroke in 2001 and ever since then have always struggled in heat, especially when it's humid. More than anything, that question was to give me away to mentally prepare for what to expect when we do go down there.

The in-laws are throwing around the idea of a vacation rental on the Florida gulf coast for a couple weeks early 2016.
My FIL is an avid golfer and we'll probably join them for up to a week at some point.
Any suggestions?

Gulf coast is a pretty big region, we talking panhandle or on the peninsula?

Gulf coast is a pretty big region, we talking panhandle or on the peninsula?
Whichever is better for vacation in February or March.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Whichever is better for vacation in February or March.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
The farther south the better to me that time of year. I would look no further north than the Pinellas area (Clearwater, St Pete Beach and others), but that time of year I would say ft Myers to Naples might be a good idea. All of the Gulf Coast is beautiful, and I love the panhandle, but your best chance of warm weather is south.

What wake said, Clearwater south to Marco, lots of hidden little gems in between. Depending on the activities everybody wants to do. Bonita Beach/Springs is a nice middle area if you want to be able to travel North or South for day trips.

Add a nod for Crystal River as well if you stay farther North.

What wake said, Clearwater south to Marco, lots of hidden little gems in between. Depending on the activities everybody wants to do. Bonita Beach/Springs is a nice middle area if you want to be able to travel North or South for day trips.

Add a nod for Crystal River as well if you stay farther North.
I like the Bradenton, Sarasota area for being able to get other places easily, Pinellas provides easy access to Tampa as well.

I like the Bradenton, Sarasota area for being able to get other places easily, Pinellas provides easy access to Tampa as well.
I would say Sarasota hands down but our favorite bed and breakfast closed last spring. Now I'm biased against Sarasota lol. Do miss steaks and mixed drinks from Hyde Park though.

Back