Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

Wouldn't the blades make this harder to do, instead of easier?

I think it's easier to control trajectory with blades compared to a cavity back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but INgolfer said he needs help hitting low shots and keeping the ball down, and blades will go lower than a CB. However spin I think will depend more on the ball and technique. So the blades should make keeping the ball down easier.

I think it's easier to control trajectory with blades compared to a cavity back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but INgolfer said he needs help hitting low shots and keeping the ball down, and blades will go lower than a CB. However spin I think will depend more on the ball and technique. So the blades should make keeping the ball down easier.

I guess that might work, it might really depend on the shot distance. with the blades there will be the need for a very good swing/strike to control it as they are not the forgiving types.

*edit to fix the worst sentence structure ever created**

Since you have already made your decision and posted it several times, I guess we can remove your name from the applications?

How do you choose? Does THP or Nike or is it a collaborative effort? I see people posting several times, does that increase chances or is one good enough. Dont want to make it seem as the only reason I'm here but also don't want to have my solo entry lost 200+posts back. It would be nice to use my launch monitor for something besides the endless journey of improving my game, especially since the Pro Combo is one of 2 sets I've been looking to purchase.

Only your original entry will count. As long as it has all the criteria that is required you may be selected based on that

I think we all have to remember that even those these are classified as Blades....they are not the blades of yesteryear....
They have had 25 years of technology advancements to try and meld them in some way, shape or form with the lower CG/perimeter weighted game improvement technology so that we have a mixture...
This is just my opinion of course and with my handicap headed downwards, I am not afraid of these type clubs anymore..
As a matter of fact, I would embrace the challenge....

How do you choose? Does THP or Nike or is it a collaborative effort? I see people posting several times, does that increase chances or is one good enough. Dont want to make it seem as the only reason I'm here but also don't want to have my solo entry lost 200+posts back. It would be nice to use my launch monitor for something besides the endless journey of improving my game, especially since the Pro Combo is one of 2 sets I've been looking to purchase.

Only the original entry is counted and every entry is counted. Decisions on testing equipment are different for every forum testing we do. Sometimes its THP making the decision, sometimes its the company, sometimes its collaborative.

I think we all have to remember that even those these are classified as Blades....they are not the blades of yesteryear....
They have had 25 years of technology advancements to try and meld them in some way, shape or form with the lower CG/perimeter weighted game improvement technology so that we have a mixture...
This is just my opinion of course and with my handicap headed downwards, I am not afraid of these type clubs anymore..
As a matter of fact, I would embrace the challenge....
I agree with this. While I wouldn't recommend any old hack pick them up, they are a potential option for a wide range of golfers.

Only the original entry is counted and every entry is counted. Decisions on testing equipment are different for every forum testing we do. Sometimes its THP making the decision, sometimes its the company, sometimes its collaborative.

Thanks JB. appreciate you taking the time to answer question and for opportunity. Quickly become an addict of this site. Wife just sits next to me me on the couch shaking her head.

Thanks JB. appreciate you taking the time to answer question and for opportunity. Quickly become an addict of this site. Wife just sits next to me me on the couch shaking her head.

Mine does too and she owns the site. Easy way to fix that...Bring her to a THP Outing. She will then understand what its all about.

I've always been told and agree with: if you hit the center of the club face you can hit any type of club. Center of the club face.... That's easy right? Lol

Mine does too and she owns the site. Easy way to fix that...Bring her to a THP Outing. She will then understand what its all about.

:laughing: come on you know GG loves it here and all the great members lol, i think she must me shaking her head at something else hehe

:laughing: come on you know GG loves it here and all the great members lol, i think she must me shaking her head at something else hehe

She plays the game, if he had a short game she'd be dangerous bc she's long off the tee. I'll looking into the outing thing.

I've always been told and agree with: if you hit the center of the club face you can hit any type of club. Center of the club face.... That's easy right? Lol

Yeah, easier said then done.:banghead:

I am currently playing a combo set of Titleist 735 cm's..it would be cool to feel how far technology has come since my set. awesome opportunity!!!

I am currently playing a combo set of Titleist 735 cm's..it would be cool to feel how far technology has come since my set. awesome opportunity!!!

I use the same irons, will be very interesting to be able to compare the 2 sets

Positive Thinking....

I WILL BE PICKED, I WILL BE PICKED, I WILL BE PICKED....

does that help???

My wife does the same thing. She tells me since I joined THP that she got bumped to #2. Lol

My wife does the same thing. She tells me since I joined THP that she got bumped to #2. Lol

It'll pass haha.. They slowly grow to accept it, or at least mine did!

Edit; In an attempt to not continue the derail... I had another good look at these irons yesterday.. The progression really does intrigue me. And it makes sense considering most golfers start with two blade style wedges in their bag.

I'm excited to see the feedback the testers start giving once selected. JB, would you want others who use/have used these irons (me) to contribute to the testing thread once it starts or do you want to leave that to the selected testers?

1. What irons do you currently play? Nike 06 Pro Combo
2. What is your handicap index? 11
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Thin top line
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Beautiful
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Play weekly and several outings with range time. Would love to give a review on these. Hope there's a left-hand set.

G15 4-UW
12 hcp
I look for forgiveness, Accuracy, consistent yardage and feel.
I guess I never looked at nike clubs before but I don't mind the look of these. At first glance I would say they look hard to hit but very nice. I would love to try these and give them a fair shake.
My testing would be very extensive. I have 3 day weekends most weeks and I play as often as I can. I average at least 4 rounds a week plus a bunch of range time. My course has 3 practice holes that I play alot. Right now I'm trying to dial in the right ball for me on the practice holes. Along with range time I would test the nikes against my pings on the practice holes. This would give me a reason to spend even more time on THP, like I needed one hehe. I check THP at least a few times a day and add comments when I think they would contribute to the topic. Mostly I just like reading reviews. I would take the responsibility of testing seriously and give honest feedback and updates after every session. Thanks to Nike and THP for the opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? Nike VR Split Cavs
2. What is your handicap index? Don't really have a handicap, but if I did, maybe 20 give or take.
3. What do you look for in an iron set? First thing for me is feel, then forgiveness, and finally, a clean and simple look nothing too fancy in terms of design.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They look great, very minimalistic which is what I like. Looks almost like a traditional blade, they don't too intimidating to hit.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Right now, I do go to the practice range about 2-3 times a week and I only play out on the course maybe twice a month due to the cost, but I believe I still can provide some good feedback on the clubs. I'm new to this forum, but I'm usually on a computer most of the day so I can also provide up to date progress on the clubs and how it performs for me to give other members another perspective.

We will announce the testers on Monday.

Good luck to everyone

Back