Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

This should be a great round of testing. Can't believe that 7 sets are going out. I have to say that I'm really impressed with Nike lately when it comes to reaching out to THP members. They sent a bunch of gear to the outing, including lefty stuff and now this. Way to go Nike.

This should be a great round of testing. Can't believe that 7 sets are going out. I have to say that I'm really impressed with Nike lately when it comes to reaching out to THP members. They sent a bunch of gear to the outing, including lefty stuff and now this. Way to go Nike.

+1 Hawk, they sent the most lefty clubs of anyone to the demo day by far, and the Nike VR Pro Combo irons were my favorite clubs I hit by far. Really looking forward to all the testers thoughts when they are chosen.

Completely agree Hawk. I thanked them for that on their FB page. Plus it didn't hurt that I absolutely loved these irons!

I wish I'd hit them at the Demo Day.

Yeah, this is going to be really awesome for whoever is selected!

Haha yeah he was busy "recovering" lol

I was busy grabbing the PX 5.5, Miyazaki 61S, and Attas! Seriously though. As much talk as I've heard about these irons, I'm really bummed I missed them.

I was busy grabbing the PX 5.5, Miyazaki 61S, and Attas! Seriously though. As much talk as I've heard about these irons, I'm really bummed I missed them.

Nike's line this year is seriously good.

No kidding! Hope my selection in the heavy driver doesn't remove me from this too!

Good luck everyone!

Hahaha, I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm incredibly grateful to be testing the Heavy Driver but, well, I think we'd be good candidates to essentially try out an entirely new set of clubs, eh?

Hahaha, I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm incredibly grateful to be testing the Heavy Driver but, well, I think we'd be good candidates to essentially try out an entirely new set of clubs, eh?

I'd like to test these too. I mean i hope were no less likely to be chosen than the Morgan Cuppers who just got all of their new irons, or are getting them. Sheesh, half of the Morgan Cuppers are testers too. I think we'll be treated just as fairly as everyone out here.

Thanks Nike and THP for this opportunity!

I'd like to test these too. I mean i hope were no less likely to be chosen than the Morgan Cuppers who just got all of their new irons, or are getting them. Sheesh, half of the Morgan Cuppers are testers too. I think we'll be treated just as fairly as everyone out here.

Thanks Nike and THP for this opportunity!

I echo your sentiments my friend!

No kidding! Hope my selection in the heavy driver doesn't remove me from this too!

Good luck everyone!

My thoughts exactly! I would really like to give these a whirl. The combo set is high on my list.

I too am really excited about this testing and hope I am selected. I believe I can give them the time testing deserves. In one week I will be home from college and I work at a golf course during the summer, I practice every day and play 9-18 holes at least 4 days a week. I am stoked to see who's chosen. Good luck to everyone. Thank you again Nike and THP.

whoever gets to test this will be lucky. They are great looking sticks. Can't wait to see who gets selected!

1. What irons do you currently play? Ping G15
2. What is your handicap index? OOB 7.0
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Soft feel on good contact, forgiveness, and shafts that agree w/ my swing.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They are beautiful looking irons that would make anyone gaming them feel like a true player. However, I must admit that the blade portion of the set somewhat intimidates me having never hit them.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I do not hit the range as often as I should but prefer to practice my overall game on the course instead (something my waivering scores probably dislike me for). One reason for that is the lack of a decent range in this area, but I digress. If I were to be chosen, I would game these irons for 9 holes two times during the work week (typically tuesday/thursday) and for as many holes as I can manage on the weekends (typically 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday.) Although I have never reviewed anything for THP before, I write and review financial articles on a regular basis and have no qualms with putting my thoughts into writing and answering whatever questions are asked of me. I would review these irons to the best of my ability, and although I cannot say that I try and work the ball on a consistent basis, I believe that my thoughts on the performance of these irons would be beneficial for the average golfer who focuses on making solid contact and hitting greens.

Good luck to everyone who has entered and thank you to THP and Nike for this opportunity!!

Driver: Nike Mach Speed Black 9.5* x-flex
Fairway wood: Adams low profile 13*
Hybrid: Adams Pro 18*
Irons: Mizuno mp-29 (3,4,5,8,9,p) mp-14 (6,7) dynamic gold x-100
Wedges: 52*, 58* callaway x-tour (c grind)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2
Balls: Bridgestone B330

Handicap: +2

Looking for: Workability / Forgiveness

Looks of Nike Pro Combo: Sets up very well from players perspective, a little larger on top and a great looking classic shape.

Unfortunately, i am new to THP but now that i know about yall, im very interested in things to come. As for testing, i practice everyday and play 3 times a week. If given the opportunity to test these irons i will give as much feedback that is needed.

-Bennett

I play Taylor made R7TP
I'm a 0.3 USGA hdcp
Look for workability feel and distance control
I play 54-90 holes/week
I would play them alternating with my current set to compare and contrast factors
These irons are flippin gorgeous!
I check out the threads on THP every day, and post when I have a relevant thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am currently playing the Nike CCI (not forged) irons. i have an 18 handicap. i look for forgiveness and workability in a set of irons. i am not the best ball striker and often need to shape my shot from the rough. These VR Pros look awesome - very classic. i plan to hit these irons at the range and then immediately put them into play. i play about 1-2 times a week and tweet my findings. i have been a member of THP for a short time (almost a year?) i rarely post but actively view the articles and forum daily.

hopefully i can get a run at these. my CCI's are good but my iron play is now my weakest part of the game. i was going to get a set of Nike Machspeed irons but many have said they are not workable so i avoided them (even lthough JB used them for some time). i was thinking about the Srixon forged irons but i will wait for the testing on these before i pull the trigger.

1. What irons do you currently play? I play Nike Slingshot irons.

2. What is your handicap index? Approximately 20

3. What do you look for in an iron set? #1 The MOST important for me is feel. How does it feel when I strike the ball? The TM 9 felt like buttah, as did the Calaway RAZR X irons. If they don't feel right to me, I'll never be comfortable with them. #2 How they perform on off center hits is very important as I am still working on striking my irons correctly. #3 How they look. Although I want my irons to have great looks, that is on the bottom of my list. My first set of clubs were Wilson blades back in the day. So, I lean toward that classic MB look. However, I've had 845s, Ping Zings and now the Nike Slingshots. The best of these were the Ping Zings. Now THERE was a different look, but I loved how they worked! Still do. I may reshaft them and try them out again!

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They have that classic MB look which I have always loved. And the long irons still look like MBs! Great top line. I still have two MB 5 irons that I sometimes use to get me back to concentrating on my hits.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I have not always posted a lot because I didn't want to repeat what others have have said far better than I could have said. I have increased my posts because I am testing different clubs (the Tour Striker, Cleveland CG16 7i, TM 2.0 6i against my other sets), and trying to improve my ball striking. I go the the range at least 2-3 times a week. Because of work I'm unable to play more than 1 round a week which I would devote to the VR irons. I intend to test these irons with irons from my other sets to see what the differences or similarities may be. I have base lines with my previous sets that I would measure the VR against. I have my hybrids (which I'm hitting much better!) to see how the long irons stack up against. I also have two sets of irons with graphite shafts to test against the steel shafts of the VRs OR get the VRs in graphite to measure the performance! Hmmmm!? Interesting thought! Maybe trying the VRs with Graphite shafts? I know JB was looking into graphite shafts in irons. They ARE available in Project X graphite according to the Nike website!

Last edited:
I'm so excited about this opportunity. I'm not 50 posts a day active, but I'm a regular. I'm very intrigued about a combo set, as I like both blades and cavity backs. There are about to be some very lucky and happy testers! Can't wait until we find out!

1. What irons do you currently play?

I currently play the Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scott irons 3-SW

2. What is your handicap index?
I am currently in the mid 90's but improving as I am getting back into the game

3. What do you look for in an iron set?
The sole can't be too wide. I like a thin top line. No heavy shovels. Forgiving but workable.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?
I have looked at these clubs at a local retailer and often wondered how the mix of different types of blades (cavity and non cavity) would play out on the course. Very interesting.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?
My career allows me flexible time to test during the week.
My testing plan would be range time for two to three trips and detail what adjustments were needed on my part to consistantly get the needed results compared to my old Tommy's.
I also would solely play these clubs on the coarse a few times a week. We have several great local coarse' to choose from and report each holes findings and the progress of my game from week to week.

My activity level has been high as of late as I have been lurking for a few weeks. My wife and I are talking about the upcoming THP gathering in Florida for 2012. This would be a great family outing. I contribute to the site as I can.

Fantastic chance for all THPers! Is this for lefties?

1. What irons do you currently play? 2009 Taylormade burners

2. What is your handicap index? 12.2

3. What do you look for in an iron set? I go for consistent performance out of my irons. I want a good ball flight off of my irons and a consistent feel/immediate feedback.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Looks alone they look soft off the face sort of like 2.0 burners and look great all around, love the choice Nike made on how they wanted them to shine. The transition from blades to split-cavity to pocket cavity in these irons is a first and I for one love the idea, kind of makes me think why no otyher company didn't think of it.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I have access to a range everyday and am able to play every day(and do play just about everyday). I would make a practice schedule on what I would want to see out of my irons from ball flight to spin control. Taking these irons out on the course would be best for testing as you can see how good the spin can be used from the 4 iron to the 9 iron. To me ball flight is important from a 2 handicap to a 25. Even the sound of the club is important I would take pictures/videos anything people would want, I am always on these forums.

Honestly I check THP everyday and honestly have too much time to check these forums. I check them on my iPhone consistently and are always looking to strike up conversations. I just wish I could get to know some of these people a little more but heck I have been on here for only two months and have loved it ever since, just wish I would have known about the site sooner.

Last edited:
I decided these are too pretty not to put my name in. Good luck to all and thanks THP and Nike!

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno Mx200

2. What is your handicap index? 18.7

3. What do you look for in an iron set? Aesthetics are huge. I love looking down at a beautiful club, cavity doesn't bother me. I also like a club that feels a bit heavy. I hit a used set of Nike blades at golf headquarters and really like how they set up and played.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I think they are stunning. I love the look and they don't look to busy. Nothing to critique on the looks - Nike hit a homer.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Well, my range is finally open after the wet May and early June we had so I'll be spending a lot of time on the range hitting: 15-20 balls with each club, statistics on misses, feel on the shots, ball flight on pure and misses. I'll also play 1-2 times a week and document their performance - probably club by club. Lots of pictures of how the finish holds up, bag chatter the works. I'll also let my buddy who is a superior ball striker hit them and get his thoughts. Plus I'm a fan of the unboxing video.

I check THP 5-10 times a day on Tapatalk. After graduating I hope to go to some outings and forge some friendships with the wonderful members of the site.

Tap before talk.

Back