furyk oversleeps?

Pro-Ams keep SOME tournies afloat. Not the playoffs. Just like not the majors. The sponsor gets hurt because they have a top player out now.

Maybe if the player is late, they should make him give a portion of his winnings...or donate to the sponsers charity?

Perhaps a better penalty would be a fine for the first offense, a larger one for the next offense (during the season, reset each year), then DQ after that. Stuff does happen that makes people late. It happens. It is a little harsh to be DQd for being a few minutes late. But there has to be some penalty or they would have 5-10 guys not show up each week.

Missing and being late are not the same. Sure, a rule is a rule but considering the rule was created to ensure that the Pros attend there should be some discretion available, but with a penalty, for this sort of thing. From what I understand Furyk was 5 - 10 minutes late. It was probably obvious he made every effort to get there on time after sleeping in.

These guys have caddies, coaches and managers. They stay in hotels with wake up services. Thay get complimentary cars. They show up hours early for Thursday thru Saturday.

The penalty IS severe but, gimme a break - overslept. If I were paying for a pro-am spot I'd be pissed if my guy was late.

I haven't read/heard Mickelson's take on this. But, I was under the impression that every pro played in a pro-am during the week. For the Barclays, there were 2 pro-ams on Wednesday. One in the AM and one in the PM. If 1/2 the pro's play in the Am and the other 1/2 play in the PM, then Mickelson's statement is not entirely accurate.

These guys have caddies, coaches and managers. They stay in hotels with wake up services. Thay get complimentary cars. They show up hours early for Thursday thru Saturday.

The penalty IS severe but, gimme a break - overslept. If I were paying for a pro-am spot I'd be pissed if my guy was late.

I agree Jean. But what you will find now is that guys will get "doctors notes" to get out of the Pro-Am just because the penalty is this severe.

And there is no pro am for majors. If the PGA wants the FedEx Cup to work, stuff like this cannot happen.

I haven't read/heard Mickelson's take on this. But, I was under the impression that every pro played in a pro-am during the week. For the Barclays, there were 2 pro-ams on Wednesday. One in the AM and one in the PM. If 1/2 the pro's play in the Am and the other 1/2 play in the PM, then Mickelson's statement is not entirely accurate.

I was under the impression that not all players played in the pro-am and thought that was the case in the events we have visited. And nobody has said otherwise in the articles I have read. Regardless though, It leads to the same thing. Half the field is going to have Doctors notes next time.

http://www.pgatour.com/2010/tournaments/r027/08/25/furyk-player-reaction/index.html

At the JDC, not all pros were in the Pro-Am. Every group was one pro/4 amateurs. Not enough spots to put the entire field out there.

I agree with Mickelson as well and I think this is ridiculous.

Faldo alluded to "ridiculous" being the overall sentiment and that this "rule" is probably going to go through some severe changes at the next Policy Meeting.

In the article it mentions that the last time this happened to Furyk, he was simply replaced by someone else for a couple of holes until he got there himself but that this practice no longer exists. Why was it removed and why not just reinstate that practice? It seems fair and people DO oversleep now and then and (no offense), but we're talking about a Pro Am here, not the main event.

Chalk up another item for the "Stupid Rules" file.

-JP

I agree Jean. But what you will find now is that guys will get "doctors notes" to get out of the Pro-Am just because the penalty is this severe.

And there is no pro am for majors. If the PGA wants the FedEx Cup to work, stuff like this cannot happen.

you bring up a good point JB. if the PGA has tried to make the entire season build up to the "playoffs", they need to treat those events more like majors.

Just posted on espn.com

The PGA Tour has suspended its rule that kept Jim Furyk from playing in last week's Barclays tournament because he overslept and missed his tee time for the pre-tournament pro-am.

Furyk, who had been ranked third in the FedEx Cup standings, overslept because his cell phone alarm failed to work. He scurried to get to the course in time but was late, meaning automatic ineligibility for the tournament -- a rule put in place in 2004 to combat a growing a number of instances in which players were skipping the pre-tournament event with amateurs.

Many, however, believe the penalty was too harsh -- not everyone is required to play in the pro-am. PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem agreed and announced Tuesday that such instances for the rest of the year would be handled as a tour disciplinary matter and further sponsor obligations would be required.

Although not part of the competition, the weekly pro-am at regular PGA Tour events provides a large source of revenue for the event. Amateurs pay thousands of dollars for the right to play alongside the pros for a day. A player who misses the pro-am entirely without an excuse for family emergency or illness still will be declared ineligible for the event, Finchem said.

Furyk, who won the 2003 U.S. Open and has two victories this year on the PGA Tour, dropped to eighth in the FedEx standings, which pays a $10 million bonus to the winner. Finchem asked members of the tour's Players Advisory Council and player directors to study pro-am regulations for discussion later this year.

Last week's pro-am had 54 pros competing with amateurs, a point Phil Mickelson made in criticizing the rule. "The rule itself applies to only half the field," Mickelson said at the Barclays. "If you're going to have a rule that does not apply to everybody, because not everybody played the pro-am, you cannot have it affect the competition.

"I cannot disagree with it more. I have no idea how the commissioner let this rule go through. It's ridiculous."

I saw this reported on ESPN last night. I finally got to see Mickeslons comments too and good for him for saying what needed to be said. He said it well and looks like the PGA Tour was listening.

No worries at all. It should be in this thread too.

Back