Fyre Lake National Review - Sherrard IL

Booked via THP Golfnow. I'll be there around 1045.

Damn I wish I would have seen this earlier I ended up playing Byron hills this morning

Cancelled the round tomorrow. 90% chance of rain and thunderstorms.

How was it today Hawk?

Had a great time playing with Hawk today. That's a gem of a course you guys have up there. Don't think any of us played up to our potential, though I think my buddy Josh broke 80 by 1... I think we all hit enough decent shots to keep us coming back. Hell, I got so excited at parring 18 that I carried the flag with me half way back to the cart before I was asked if I was going to keep it.

The theme for that course is simply, "anywhere but left" except on the holes where it was also "don't miss it right either". Tough course. But what a great day to play. Will definitely be heading up that way again. Thanks for playing along Hawk, really enjoyed the round.

Last edited:
No buddy. Sorry! I thought Brian got hold of you. It's going to rain and thunderstorm all day man. Let's set something up for the next weekend.

Brad, enjoyed it sir!

Nope never heard anything from Brian, he's sometimes hard to get a hold of. I know ill be golfing next saturday with my buds down by decatur i think. so idk if next sunday will work but i will let you know.
No buddy. Sorry! I thought Brian got hold of you. It's going to rain and thunderstorm all day man. Let's set something up for the next weekend.

Brad, enjoyed it sir!

I know it's a bummer dude, but high 50's and rain would have been miserable.

The course was in ok condition. Lots of crab grass patches in the fairways and the rough was spotty. Some drainage issues that create some very wet areas, which is odd since it really hasn't rained for over a month.

Greens were ok. Not too fast, but rolled well. I have to figure if they made them fast it would border on unplayable. The greens are just wacky. It's a difficult course from start to finish. Wind was a small factor today, but nothing like the first time I played. Started fine, forgot how to play golf in the middle, finished fine. Tee shots were good, but I had a lot of holes that I took 4 to get down from the middle of the fairway.

I think they punch the greens next week. I'll keep an eye on the rates and the wind in the fall and probably play it again. That's not a course to play in the wind though.

Drive to ohio...mid 60s and sunny and we can tee it up in the am!

Drive to ohio...mid 60s and sunny and we can tee it up in the am!

Ha! I could use a day away from these little monsters in my house. That's about what we had today, just a little warmer in the low 70's.

Ha! I could use a day away from these little monsters in my house. That's about what we had today, just a little warmer in the low 70's.

76 tomorrow...leave at 4am golf is on me! Lol

Why didn't I start playing back when I had the ability to do things like that? Now I have to hope I can find time to play once a week. Lame.

Why didn't I start playing back when I had the ability to do things like that? Now I have to hope I can find time to play once a week. Lame.

We need to meet half way sometime...im sure I can drag some fools with me

That's not a bad idea. NW Indiana sir. There's a handful of very good courses up there.

hey any day playing golf isn't miserable, maybe if its down pouring or freezing lol.

Definitely made the right call. It's been pouring since 7:30.

No rain here yet. But looks like its on the way here.maybe get some in here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

your not helping man, I'm starting to shake my feet in my boots from hearing that. By the pictures I am terrified. and like you said Ill bring plenty of balls with me for those misses. lol

I have played here with out losing a ball, you have to keep it in the short stuff for sure, there are a few tight holes but many are wider and allow a missed fairway to cost nothing more than a stroke getting it back in play. I like this course a lot as it allows you get around it OK with out forcing you to hit big tee shots, I feel I have a legitimate chance at par on any given hole which makes an enjoyable day for me as a bogey golfer. My cousin played with me and was determined to hit his brand new driver every chance (he is good at keeping the ball in play normally, but it took nearly the whole round for him to get his new driver to work), never looked for so many balls in one round, not a course to go for it unless you have a great game. My wife loves this course as the red tee boxes are proper distance on every hole for the average womans game.

I have played here with out losing a ball, you have to keep it in the short stuff for sure, there are a few tight holes but many are wider and allow a missed fairway to cost nothing more than a stroke getting it back in play. I like this course a lot as it allows you get around it OK with out forcing you to hit big tee shots, I feel I have a legitimate chance at par on any given hole which makes an enjoyable day for me as a bogey golfer. My cousin played with me and was determined to hit his brand new driver every chance (he is good at keeping the ball in play normally, but it took nearly the whole round for him to get his new driver to work), never looked for so many balls in one round, not a course to go for it unless you have a great game. My wife loves this course as the red tee boxes are proper distance on every hole for the average womans game.

Yea hopefully I'll get to play there soon since we got rained out. Sounds like a great course and should be a fun time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Hawk looks like the afternoon might end up dry for you. We got a huge line of rain coming our way now lol. Im going to have to play 18 tomorrow now lol

We played this again today for $36. Hate to say it, but I'm not going back until I hear from somebody else that it's in good shape. I can deal with some crab grass in the fairways, but the greens are just bad. Granted, they aerated a few weeks ago, but I'd be surprised if they cracked 5 on the stimp meter and I'm not exaggerating. The old cups weren't even sodded over. There was straight up mud spots were the old cups were. The greens were not mowed or rolled this morning and the cups were not moved. Drainage issues on almost every hole.

Just too many courses that I can play for the same price or cheaper that are in much (MUCH) better condition. I want them to succeed, but I don't think I can deal with what they have to offer at the moment.

Back