Genuine Question For THPers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying there is no right or wrong answer here, but I have a question as I prepare for THP Events in the future. If you get into a THP Event that comes with a full bag of equipment. How long do you think its right to play it? What I mean is I know everybody on THP is different and some change equipment a lot and others not much at all. But let's say for the sake of the discussion, you get into an event that gives you a bag full of equipment (THP has multiple events like this), is there any obligation on your end (not from THP), that says you should continue to play it for a period of time? Or, are you cool the next day or week, offing it for something else? I say this strictly about THP Events, not about doing forum testing, which is very different in my opinion.

I ask this genuinely and as mentioned there really is no right or wrong answer, just looking for feedback.

I will elaborate more later, but I believe you should give every club a thorough review before replacing it. By this I mean trying to answer questions, posting your thoughts in the appropriate threads. Just my feelings though

I think it depends on the equipment to be honest. If we are talking very new or unreleased equipment, then the person should feel personally obligated to at least contribute to the review and preview threads.

If we are talking about equipment that is a known commodity at the point of play, then I am not sure there is any obligation.

Of course, you would hope the person plays well with it and it becomes a part of their bag. However, if it is legitimately a bad fit or not better then their gamer, forcing someone to hang on to something isn't doing right by anyone.

• Admin
Of course, you would hope the person plays well with it and it becomes a part of their bag. However, if it is legitimately a bad fit or not better then their gamer, forcing someone to hang on to something isn't doing right by anyone.

Let me follow this up with the fact that in most cases, THPers are the ones choosing their own equipment in these instances right?

Personally if I think if I get into a event where a full bag is given to me I would play it for the season at least unless it turns out to be the damaging to my game.

I think there is an obligation to provide feedback on the equipment for a good amount of time.

However, golf comes down to enjoying what you play, and if after a few months you find something else that you want to bag, then you should put it in the bag.

Now if you go to an event and win some equipment and you genuinely don't have any interest in gaming it, I don't believe there is an obligation to.

unless the club is awful for me, I think I would game it for a while, like others said, at least long enough to give a decent opinion and review about it.

that said, if the club doesnt perform as well as what I had previously, I would not hesitate to replace the parts I dont like.

also, I am pretty sure that the minute I come back home, my seemore would get back in the bag

I will elaborate more later, but I believe you should give every club a thorough review before replacing it. By this I mean trying to answer questions, posting your thoughts in the appropriate threads. Just my feelings though

Agree with you - especially if the equipment is pre or new release.

Let me follow this up with the fact that in most cases, THPers are the ones choosing their own equipment in these instances right?

I can't seem to formulate the answer to this in my head this early. I really think this topic is something thats needed to be discussed.

I think it's different for everyone but for me I'm pretty neutral on it. If there's a decent cost associated with it and even though the cost usually is minimal in comparison to what's received I think at that point it's theirs to do whatever with. I will only keep what works for my bag regardless of the circumstances, I don't have a bunch of clubs laying around that don't get used. Personalized items are a different story, my staff bag is priceless you can't duplicate the feeling that comes from staring at it.

Myself, the gratitude I feel for the equipment is such that I truly love my clubs. I foresee playing the at least through this season, and quite possibly beyond.

I may tinker with a club or two here and there, but a wholesale equipment change I can't see happening.
I do feel a sense of responsibility to THP to post about these clubs where I can, share thoughts, and experiences.
Selling off is quite simply Out of the question for me.

But everyone seems different.

Glad this was posted, because I've wondered about this topic also.

Also, those who get their stuff and pull a disappearing act from THP.
(That might be for another thread)

But yes, I am grateful for my bag, and those clubs and bag are part of an experience that I cherish!

I also think that if there is an expectation on part of THP and/or the manufacturer that the equipment is gamed/reviewed for a certain amount of time after the event, that it be clearly communicated prior to the event - just like forum testing.

I've yet to get into an event where I received a full bag, but I would think I'd have the entire bag in play for awhile, especially if I had a full fitting. I don't know if I would call it an obligation, but it's a unique opportunity few people get and I would try and get the most out of the equipment given to me.

There have been events where I would have preferred getting one brand over another, but in the end, I would have been thrilled to receive a full bag from any brand.

I would assume that if I received a full bag of equipment I would probably be fitted for it better than anything I currently have, so there more than likely wouldn't be a better option for me. Of course, I'm in the mindset that once you have the right style, length,loft, etc, every manufacturers clubs will perform at the same level...at least for an 18 handicap. So to answer the question, it would probably be my permanent bag for years. I wouldn't feel an obligation per se, but performance is ultimately that all that matters to me, and getting really fitted (as opposed to the half-ass fitting they give at my local golf shop) would make all the difference.

JB,
Is the equipment carefully fit to the participant? That would affect my answer.

I also think that if there is an expectation on part of THP and/or the manufacturer that the equipment is gamed/reviewed for a certain amount of time after the event, that it be clearly communicated prior to the event - just like forum testing.

The first post clearly says an obligation by you (not THP). This is not about any obligations from THP, we always communicate that if there has ever been one.

For me personally, I like to hang on to my clubs. I like to change it up and play different clubs every once in a while. Also, I like to have an extra set or 2, for people to use when they come visit.

I would definitely not sell off these clubs. Most likely I would play them at least 2 years just like all my other clubs. Maybe a full bag reset along with fitting would get me to that next level. If that was the case, than I would for sure play them for a long time

If I got a full bag of equipment, odds are it was fit for me in some way. Why replace anything unless it's better than what I had custom fit?

My own experience to this does not relate to a full bag event but one were a single club was given. I played with the club given for about 7 weeks following the event. It was an ok product for me but not as good as what I was playing previously. However I made it a goal to find a club from the sponsor of the event that did fit me and by mid August I had one in the bag.

I'm not saying everyone needs to do something like that, but I personally felt a lot of appreciation to the company and wanted to show a bit of thanks by getting some of their gear in my bag.

In a full bag event where I've chosen the club's I can't imagine a scenario where at least half of the clubs would not still be in my bag after a year. I can see where some might not be a fit but I'd think most would work out.

Out of gratitude I would put the clubs in play and give them every chance to stay in the bag. I think it boils down to what best suits/helps my game. If the clubs don't work out or I find something that better suits my game, it doesnt make me any less appreciative for what i received, just helps me more in figuring what i do/don't like and what works best for my game.

Unless there is a signed form or something that would make you legally obligated that says you must play for X months or whatever I don't think anyone is technically "obligated". I don't think it was ever inferred or suggested any way otherwise. But I will say if you get into an event with a full club deal that is fitted for you personally, you would be crazy to not play the clubs! However, that being said technology does change and new stuff gives us hackers advantages all the time. If you find something better that works for your game then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't use it. Now if your talking about selling your clubs, I think that's a different story.

I know I'm probably in the minority as I don't change clubs that often, but I can tell you from my experience that I plan to play my Grandaddy clubs for quite some time. With the exception of my putter... that could change and does more often than other clubs.

I think it depends on the equipment to be honest. If we are talking very new or unreleased equipment, then the person should feel personally obligated to at least contribute to the review and preview threads.

If we are talking about equipment that is a known commodity at the point of play, then I am not sure there is any obligation.

I agree with this alot. Obviously sometimes people have life events that prevent them from holding onto the equipment but I feel like alot of guys at least keep the stuff around and give it a shake. I know I tried liking the G30 Hybrid I won for one of the challenges and it was a rocket launcher but after 15 or so rounds I had to part ways with it because it was the only club in the bag I could not hit straight (hooks and pulls all day).

The Personal Distance and Cleveland/Srixon MC guys I feel did the forum a great service by participating but they were using unrealeased equipment but I wouldn't necessarily expect the same from this year's Grandaddy team since there were existing equipment testing threads or the equipment had been out awhile.

I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer for everyone. For me, I would feel like I needed to game it for a good while. If I am being provided with a full bag of equipment, the least I can do is give the equipment an honest shot. I would also feel like I should advocate for the company providing it. I don't mean lying about how good the equipment is, but merely letting other people I play with try it out, and let them know how I got the clubs, etc. Hopefully this helps THP and the OEM. This doesn't mean I will play equipment that I feel hurts my game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back