Genuine Question For THPers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course no one knows for sure until you've done it, but I think I'd feel an obligation to continue playing the clubs, repping the brand and providing feedback for at least that season. I could see slipping a favorite putter or safety club back into the mix based on comfort level if I needed a change though.

Genuine Question For THPers

For me I will play the equipment until I find something I like better. I'm still gaming my 2012 MC driver and woods as well as my 2013 irons. So for me it's about how the equipment works for my game. At the same time, I will be replacing them this year with new stuff just because I want the new stuff. But will keep the set for a back up.

Edit: just recently switched back to my full 2012 Btidgestone clubs.

Last edited:
A few weeks after the Morgan Cup you would see people put up their equipment in the market place and thought that was extremely disrespectful. People are choosing the clubs they want to play I don't understand why they wouldn't play them or is some cases why they leave the forum all together.

I think the bottom line is that you should do.what you feel is right. There is no legal or written obligation to play any of the clubs after an event. People feel the way they do and that's all good.

I look at from a differnt view then others and have spent sometime thinking about it. I never voiced my opinion because no one ever asked. I'm not one to shy away from speaking my mind, but there has to be a time and place. This was both but no one should feel any different about themselves or future involvement because of what is on my or anyone's mind. It's good discussion because it is clearing the air, so to speak

If I could some this up...

Do what you want, just try not to be a [jerk] about it.

And I completely agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't think 9 months to a year is unreasonable, especially if its un-released equipment or there newest stuff.

Honest feedback for all the gear received in THP events is something I would expect from everyone. If you use it for 5 years but don't write a single word, that's worse than giving important info for a week or a month and them sell / give them away.

So much this

If I liked the way they played I would play them until I found something I liked better but I do think no matter what I would keep using the bag as a way to advertise for them. I don't think its something I would sell though since to me personally I would consider them a reminder for something amazing I got to do.

I'm along the same lines as a lot of others in this thread - if we're playing a full bag as part of an event, it's almost undoubtedly custom fit and should be perfect for our own personal games. I'd play that equipment for as long as I could, most likely years if possible, and I'd give as much feedback as possible on how it performed, it's makeup, etc.

Personally, I'm brand loyal almost to a fault. I know some here are, and some aren't and that's entirely personal preference. There's no right or wrong on that front, but if I'm able to play custom fit gear through THP and an OEM, I'm going to game it and talk it up for as long as I can.

I think you almost have to separate the Grandaddy from any other equipment tie in event. It is my feeling, that for non Grandaddy equipment anything you want to do with it after you have fulfilled your obligation to review and provide feedback is up to you. No one has expressly or otherwise intimated that participants could not sell Grandaddy gear, however doing so seems out of bounds in my mind. I personally would not make the choice to sell anything I received at the Grandaddy. It probably means little coming from me seeing as I have only played 2 sets of irons in the 10 years leading up to the Grandaddy, but I foresee keeping the Apex in my bag for the long term.

I think the key is, put in some work and share your experiences. I think the general population can see when someone is contributing in the forums with honest feedback.

Are you saying I need to post more? :alien:

I've often wondered after seeing these events if there was a written or even gentlemen's agreement to play the clubs proved for a certain time frame. Even if no such agreement is settled upon I would feel obligated to give those clubs a fair and thoughtful review. If the company has been generous enough to supply then at no monetary cost I would feel the best way to pay them back would be to advertise and use those clubs for an extensive period of time, no set time frame but more numerous rounds of golf sufficient to test each club extensively. I'm not passing judgement on those whom choose other wise just giving my opinion of what I would do.

I would say 6 months to be fair, and that gives plenty of time to get comfortable with the clubs.
But I can see changing sooner if there is just a club that absolutely doesn't work for you.

I'd say stick to it, I am very Brand Loyal to what I am playing but to get a chance to play some new FREE equipment I would only think it fair to represent what was given, plus it's THP why wouldn't you play it.

No time limit unless there is a stipulation that I knew of beforehand. I have no problem switching up equipment I just bought so I would do the same with equipment I won in a contest or was given at an event.

Personally if I think if I get into a event where a full bag is given to me I would play it for the season at least unless it turns out to be the damaging to my game.

I agree. If it didn't work out in the long run, I would not feel right about selling it either. Maybe a donation would be the better way to a local course who need clubs for Jr. new golfers.

I would play it for at least a season since, in most cases, you pick your equipment and you're fitted for it. I'm all about giving equipment a shot and I don't think you can accurately judge equipment in a few months and it's yours so why not give it some time.

Love seeing the different points of view on this.
Not everyone was raised the same, share the same values, share the same economic means, or holds value (sentimental or monetary) in what they were provided.
Discussion is a good thing, a constructive means to gather information going forward.

Love seeing the different points of view on this.
Not everyone was raised the same, share the same values, share the same economic means, or holds value (sentimental or monetary) in what they were provided.
Discussion is a good thing, a constructive means to gather information going forward.

Couldn't say it any better if I wanted to CJ. I agree with this 100%. Its been an enlightening read for me.

I don't like getting rid of things, especially things I feel like I won. I may not play something forever but chances are it at least ends up in the closet or basement as a reminder for the memory .

I personally think you should keep the clubs for a good period of time and actually play them. Give them a full chance. I mean the company and THP are taking care of us to the point that we receive a full bag or even a single club. We should give them a full workout multiple times and use them. Even if just so we can give honest feedback about the clubs to other THPers. As far as getting rid of them my personal opinion is if you do get rid of them you should pay it forward to another THPer, or anyone that could use the equipment. Yes I understand there are costs associated with going to these events, but most times even if there were no free clubs we would all still try to be apart of these events. My opinion is the clubs are a bonus, we go to these events to play golf and to get to spend time with/meet fellow THPers. We do it for the love of the game. So to me to just take the clubs that a company has given out at an event and just flip them for $$$ is like spitting in the face of the club manufacturer and THP. They give us these clubs to use, to try out and to give honest feedback on.

As far as a specific time frame? That is all dependent on the individual. Some that I have met can swing a club a few times and know if they are or aren't going to get along with it, others like myself need more time and multiple outings to know. Personally i know i would need quite a few rounds of playing it to know if i could use it or it just wouldn't work for me. And then for me it would come down to if I could use it is it performing better than my current equipment or not. So i cant really say time frame, I would like to say a few weeks at least but it would seem like that is entirely dependent on each person.

That's just my opinion. I have not made it to any events where clubs have been given out but this is how I feel about it. Appreciate what you receive and if you are not going to use it at least pay it forward to help grow the game and the community that we all love.

I'd might mix individual clubs into my bag or just use all of them permanently. It just depends, I don't have first hand experience into the matter yet.

One thing for sure it I would never ever ever sell them or trade them in, I would cherish everything about a THP event too much to even consider that.

I don't change clubs often at all so I'd play them until they needed replaced again. I do think it's a bit rude to get into an event and get a free set of clubs only to stop playing them or offloading them shortly after the event. If you don't want to keep playing the clubs then don't enter into the event in the first place IMO.

For me, I would keep the clubs in play for at least 8-10 rounds to make sure they were either right or wrong for my game.
Even if I couldn't hit the back side of a barn when I first got them, I would still make a concerted effort to confirm whether it was me or the clubs.

I'm not reopening that can of worms.

Lol! That can has been burned, buried and reborn into two awesome friendships.

The more I thought about JB original post, and the more posts I read I came to realize that it's 100% a person's prerogative what they do with their stuff. After all, it is theirs. Castor's post really got me thinking. He was fortunate enough to be in two Morgan Cups and had two very different experiences with his equipment. I can definitely see where if the equipment was fit for you, but it doesn't fit you there may be no reason to really hang on to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back