Getting fit for my irons

Spank818

Brian Gaysian
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 4.19
I'm finally going to take the plunge and get fit for my irons. Nothing too complicated just a look over at the local GG. I figured this would be a good time since they have to be regripped as well so I might as well fine tune the sticks.

Got a couple of questions for you fine folks here in THP land. What should I be expecting and/or looking for when this gets done? Are there any questions I should be asking the fitter? How would I know if it is being done correctly?

I figured I few of the members have been through this already and a few words of wisdom for a fitting noob would be much appreciated.

Spank, for me the fitting was very cool. He couldn't make the adjustments, but used a lie board and told me what I needed. He had me warm up until I felt dialed in, then hit three different makes of iron's, all 6 iron's. Mine was one of the three and he taped all of them. I hit three balls off the board with each club. Then he showed me the results and to confirm it he brought out one that was set to the same settings he had suggested, taped it and had me hit three more. The tape showed that I was hitting the last club dead center across the bottom and my ball flight was dead on every shot.

Good luck, I hope to have mine bent latter this afternoon.

I am getting my irons fit and bent tomorrow. I am very excited about this. I am interested to see how your fitting turns out.

I am getting my irons fit and bent tomorrow. I am very excited about this. I am interested to see how your fitting turns out.

I'm interested on how yours goes as well since mine will be on Wednesday. Are you getting it done at the local shop Seth?

I'm interested on how yours goes as well since mine will be on Wednesday. Are you getting it done at the local shop Seth?

I am. My pro bent my wedges because they were 3-4 degrees too upright and I could not hit them to save my life (the 50 was 2 degrees upright and the 54/58 were 1 degree upright). I am finally getting around to having him bend my irons. I can't wait to see the difference.

Spank,

Just went through a fitting myself.. It was interesting and you will learn alot about your swing. They let me warm up and I hit the 6 irons as well. My experience was good from Golf Galaxy. Their monitors seem a lot more accurate than other companies (I wasnt hitting 210 yard 6 irons at GG like a few other places). I'm not 100% sure, so someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe a lot of the fitters will bend certain clubs. GG said they would not feel comfortbale bending the clubs I have now. Might want to check with them before paying for the full session. ALthough most places I have found will do the lie tape without charging :) and since you are swing inside your numbers will be right there .

I went in expecting something a lot more complicated than it was. I almost envisioned being hooked up to wires lol. But it was very simple. They look at your numbers, (SS, spin rate, launch angle etc) on the monitor, lie tape and that was really it. The only debate was the shaft flex. I opted for reg flex shafts because I liked the higher ball flight and the psychology of having stiff flex for me was going to make me think a lot more during my swing. They unfortunately didnt have the ability to look at different shafts in the club head I bought. But lucky for me, I hit the standard setup very well. Are you looking to change shafts?

One last bit, I got some good advice from BigLefty. Most manufacturers will have different specs on their clubs. You could be upright on one set of clubs and standard another. Ask a lot of questions!!!!!!!

I am. My pro bent my wedges because they were 3-4 degrees too upright and I could not hit them to save my life (the 50 was 2 degrees upright and the 54/58 were 1 degree upright). I am finally getting around to having him bend my irons. I can't wait to see the difference.

That's what kind of drove me to get fitted as well. I was comfortable with my swing and I just knew that I was losing some shots because of my irons. I was also sick of the fact that I noticed that I had to compensate some on my swing which to me is not good. I as well can't wait to see the difference. I guess we'll see in FL firsthand if it worked.

That's what kind of drove me to get fitted as well. I was comfortable with my swing and I just knew that I was losing some shots because of my irons. I was also sick of the fact that I noticed that I had to compensate some on my swing which to me is not good. I as well can't wait to see the difference. I guess we'll see in FL firsthand if it worked.

Yep. What is dangerous is that I am going to play in my league with bent irons having never hit them before. I will get them back Wednesday, but I have fishing plans and my first shot with them will be on hole number 3 in league play Thurdsay (1 = Driver wedge or driver putter. 2 = Driver wedge. 3 = Driver 6,7,8,9 or PW depending on the tee shot).

Spank,

Just went through a fitting myself.. It was interesting and you will learn alot about your swing. They let me warm up and I hit the 6 irons as well. My experience was good from Golf Galaxy. Their monitors seem a lot more accurate than other companies (I wasnt hitting 210 yard 6 irons at GG like a few other places). I'm not 100% sure, so someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe a lot of the fitters will bend certain clubs. GG said they would not feel comfortbale bending the clubs I have now. Might want to check with them before paying for the full session. ALthough most places I have found will do the lie tape without charging :) and since you are swing inside your numbers will be right there .

I went in expecting something a lot more complicated than it was. I almost envisioned being hooked up to wires lol. But it was very simple. They look at your numbers, (SS, spin rate, launch angle etc) on the monitor, lie tape and that was really it. The only debate was the shaft flex. I opted for reg flex shafts because I liked the higher ball flight and the psychology of having stiff flex for me was going to make me think a lot more during my swing. They unfortunately didnt have the ability to look at different shafts in the club head I bought. But lucky for me, I hit the standard setup very well. Are you looking to change shafts?

One last bit, I got some good advice from BigLefty. Most manufacturers will have different specs on their clubs. You could be upright on one set of clubs and standard another. Ask a lot of questions!!!!!!!

I told the guy that I would be fitted for my clubs. They'll do the bending and adjustments there and they said to bring in the set. I'm dropping a pretty penny on them along with the grips and regripping so they shouldn't complain.

The guy's name that's doing the fitting is OJ... you think I should get a glove fitting done as well? :D

HAAAAAAA... I heard they only carried size small........
I told the guy that I would be fitted for my clubs. They'll do the bending and adjustments there and they said to bring in the set. I'm dropping a pretty penny on them along with the grips and regripping so they shouldn't complain.

The guy's name that's doing the fitting is OJ... you think I should get a glove fitting done as well? :D

spank, just check with the manufacturer to ensure that your irons can be bent without voiding any sort of warranty. not all irons can be bent. i know that you can't bend the x22's and i know that you can't bend the VR full cavities. just check with the oem before you embark on this journey.

spank, just check with the manufacturer to ensure that your irons can be bent without voiding any sort of warranty. not all irons can be bent. i know that you can't bend the x22's and i know that you can't bend the VR full cavities. just check with the oem before you embark on this journey.

Duly noted... although my R7's are so old at this point I don't think it'll be much of an issue unless they completely butcher it which, I'm hoping, won't happen. Maybe it'll just give me an excuse to buy new irons. :D

Duly noted... although my R7's are so old at this point I don't think it'll be much of an issue unless they completely butcher it which, I'm hoping, won't happen. Maybe it'll just give me an excuse to buy new irons. :D

just tell whoever's doing the bending to let the most inexperienced staffer have at em, haha.

good luck spank, this should help out tremendously. it's pretty fun going through a fitting and the science of it can't lie.

Yep. What is dangerous is that I am going to play in my league with bent irons having never hit them before. I will get them back Wednesday, but I have fishing plans and my first shot with them will be on hole number 3 in league play Thurdsay (1 = Driver wedge or driver putter. 2 = Driver wedge. 3 = Driver 6,7,8,9 or PW depending on the tee shot).

Setho, just take a few "dont care" balls on the boat with you, and have some fun! :D

Setho, just take a few "dont care" balls on the boat with you, and have some fun! :D

I am surely not going to have high expectations of myself the first time out with them, but I might be surprised. I am going to have fun no matter what.

Hey Seth any news on your fitting? I'm about to head out for mine and I wanted to see if there were any last minute things I should consider.

Oh yeah, I forgot to post! I am pretty much standard. He taped up my club and had me hit off a lie board after measuring the distance from the ground to my knuckles. I thought I was going to need to have my clubs bent to a flatter lie, but he said I was standard and if anything, I would need to go 1º upright if I was going to go anywhere. I was striking the board right in the middle of the club sole and I was hitting a little towards the toe end of center, but that was due to my inexperience as I have only been playing golf for 9 or 10 months now.

I don't know if you have ever hit off a lie board before, but don't let it mess with ya, those things are awesome! I would hit off of it with every shot if I could. He told me to swing like normal and don't worry about taking a divot. There really was not too much to it although he has been working with me since I started golfing, so he didn't have to measure swing speed as he knew I needed stiff flex shafts. I guess I am about as normal as it gets in my irons which makes buying them easy.

Good to hear. I have a feeling that they're going to cut down my shafts since I'm 5'7" and probably need to do some adjustments as well. It will be weird to hit off that lie board since that's a new experience for me as well. You're lucky that you don't need any adjustments. It will make buying clubs easy.

Good stuff. I'll post later after my session.

I am about the same height as you and I measured standard length.

Ok so I went to the local GG today and got the fitting done. I also measured standard length but he noticed that my long irons 3,4,5 were a tad long so were going to cut them down 1/4 of an inch but I could really get away with standard on all of them. I was the exact opposite of you Seth and I was hitting them off the board and the impact was more center to hosel. He's going to do a 1 degree flat adjustment on them as I was consistently hitting the lie board to adjust 1-2 degrees. We figured to err on the side of 1 degree since I was consistently closer to that. He also measured me for my driver which I felt was too long (and I'll post this as well on my DVS review). Little did I know that the shaft was playing at 48" which is way long for me so I told him to cut it down to 46.5" because I do feel comfortable with a little length.

I did like hitting off the lie board except for that plasticky whack sound you get. I was surprised that I was making pretty solid contact with the ball which helped out tremendously. I definitely would recommend getting it done as it is not as nerve racking as I thought it would be. We'll see if it'll make a difference on the course this weekend.

great review Spank!

Re: Getting fit for my irons

Awesome !!!!

Actually sounds about right, based on how mine came out. I'm only 5'6" and he suggested 1/2" off, yet 2 degrees flat. I have a very flat swing with the iron's. Good luck, hope they work wonders for you.

Actually sounds about right, based on how mine came out. I'm only 5'6" and he suggested 1/2" off, yet 2 degrees flat. I have a very flat swing with the iron's. Good luck, hope they work wonders for you.

I hope so too Duey. I have a steep swing an I knew there was going to be some adjusting going on.

Spank, what did the fitting cost?

It's free if you buy the irons through them. $50 otherwise.

Back