Golf Club Technology Hot Takes: Which do you wish would die?

I never understood the loft argument. I don’t care what the lifts are. My driver is always going to carry a certain number and my lob wedge is always going to carry a certain number. I just want the other 11 to fill the gaps equally.

I'm all for an end to the misguided 'loft jacking' complaints too.

I never understood the loft argument. I don’t care what the lifts are. My driver is always going to carry a certain number and my lob wedge is always going to carry a certain number. I just want the other 11 to fill the gaps equally.
What you say makes perfect sense. One simply must fill the gaps. There is no disputing that.

Still, one sees the transitions. When I took up the game, five-irons were set at thirty-two degrees. Most bags had a two-iron in them. If you're only thirty or forty years old, maybe even fifty, the expression "five-iron shot" means something different to you that it meant to me for many years. To the modern recreational player, the golf bag doesn't have an iron with a number smaller than "5" stamped onto it.

Even in a thread about how people wish the Jacked Lofts argument would go away, it rears its ugly head in the thread.

The constant cry for "less offset!" 95% of players I play with need some,!!

Especially in the short irons, keep me some there

The constant cry for "less offset!" 95% of players I play with need some,!!

Especially in the short irons, keep me some there

Most people want a little more offset in the longer irons.
Progressive offset sets reduce offset as the irons get shorter.

The reason I couldn't play Ping Eye 2s was that the sand wedge had as much offset as the 1-iron.
I like sand irons to have onset--a curved leading edge ahead of the shaft.

But as your post suggests, there are no universal rules when it comes to preference.

Not enough spin is another one. If my seven iron goes 170 and another goes 180 but with 1k less spin I would be hitting 1 less club into the green so the spin would be indifferent IMO

Progressive offset sets reduce offset as the irons get shorter.

The reason I couldn't play Ping Eye 2s was that the sand wedge had as much offset as the 1-iron.
I like sand irons to have onset--a curved leading edge ahead of the shaft.

But as your post suggests, there are no universal rules when it comes to preference.
The absolute reason I loved the eye 2's. Confidence was crazy that I could hit the 8-PW wherever I wanted it to go. Best golf of my life with that set! Minus the "groove rule" I'd still be playing them

What you say makes perfect sense. One simply must fill the gaps. There is no disputing that.

Still, one sees the transitions. When I took up the game, five-irons were set at thirty-two degrees. Most bags had a two-iron in them. If you're only thirty or forty years old, maybe even fifty, the expression "five-iron shot" means something different to you that it meant to me for many years. To the modern recreational player, the golf bag doesn't have an iron with a number smaller than "5" stamped onto it.
I beg your pardon sir? ?
20191209_180836.jpg

Could do without hearing anymore how an iron is "longer" and "lower spin". How about "more consistent"?

I would argue that based on what clubs are purchased, most people dont care at all about offset. Although on Internet forums or the more discerning golfer, it does come up a lot.

Its a pretty low spin ball off the tee. Depending on speed and impact location, something firmer, could add more spin.

Might explain why I like the X more, I usually need the extra off the driver

I would argue that based on what clubs are purchased, most people dont care at all about offset. Although on Internet forums or the more discerning golfer, it does come up a lot.
Most casual golfers have no clue what offset is or what it means.

but what’s the need for a lower stamped iron? Is it a vanity thing just to say you have a 4i in the bag?

1) Whippy. Ohmygod if I could incinerate that one I would.

If a shaft plays soft for you what would you call it ?
Do you just call it soft ? Light to flex?

For example XXiO shafts. They all play about 2 flex codes softer than stated flex.
I’d call them “whippy”.

If a shaft plays soft for you what would you call it ?
Do you just call it soft ? Light to flex?

For example XXiO shafts. They all play about 2 flex codes softer than stated flex.
I’d call them “whippy”.
I simply say they’re not a good fit for me based on stated flex.

The best is those that deem things “whippy” based on the ole waggle test. I can do that to a 7.0 HZRDUS black and make it feel “whippy” if I want.

Aero in drivers.

I've just never been convinced it does anything even close to warranting the amount of research and development focus it seems to get. I'm at the point that the second I hear an OEM talk about "major advances in aero" I just have no interest.

max size of driver should revert to much smaller. (obviously too much money to be made for this to happen, I'll go back to yelling at the clouds.)

driver-heads.jpg

Why? You’ve just made the head smaller and harder to hit. That’s not what I’d call a good thing for most golfers.

Aero in drivers.

I've just never been convinced it does anything even close to warranting the amount of research and development focus it seems to get. I'm at the point that the second I hear an OEM talk about "major advances in aero" I just have no interest.

Agreed. In all the testing I’ve seen it’s minimal at best.

Usually a smaller head with the same head weight on the same length shaft usually swings quicker than a larger head from the tests I’ve seen. Recently watched a Shiels video where he swung an old Tisi Tech driver faster than a G400 Max.

Why? You’ve just made the head smaller and harder to hit. That’s not what I’d call a good thing for most golfers.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Specifically, for some players a smaller head size is easier to square at impact than a larger head size.

Loft Jacking #1 - I stopped playing with a guy because it was a sticking point for him

How advances have managed to gain consistency across the face for distance/speed, and how that is often overlooked by the consumer

I’m going to agree with the jacked lofts here. If u want to hit a 7 iron with the same loft as my 9 iron, no problem. But if I have the 9 iron in my hand that’s going to have the trajectory and spin of a 9 iron to go after a back right pin position on a peninsula green with the distance of a 7 iron that’s on you. ;) #epicforged

Jacked lofts are an interesting one. I believe the clubs designers and their reasoning, just didn’t see the benefit for myself. The set I had with slightly stronger lofts I didn’t see enough launch or spin even after bending them weak. I needed even weaker lofts.

That higher torque means weak/ twisty

Last edited:
Back