Golf Digest - Best states for public golf

Weezel

- Formerly @HighLevelHacker -
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Last edited:
I guess I didn’t realize how much great golf there was there!

I want to golf in Michigan this year. I've heard that it's sneaky good around there.

It bothers me that most of their public golf is actually resort golf. I mean I get it, anyone can stay there and play but like… no. That’s not quite the same as a daily fee, no other attachments required to play there 🫤

It bothers me that most of their public golf is actually resort golf. I mean I get it, anyone can stay there and play but like… no. That’s not quite the same as a daily fee, no other attachments required to play there 🫤
Agreed. When I think public, I think make a tee time and play. Not required stay to play.

I guess I didn’t realize how much great golf there was there!
probably because we only get to play about 6 months of the year haha.
Agreed. While the courses listed are nice they are far from show up and play courses. Arcadia for example was basically sold out last summer. It's a great course and while its public not everyone wants to pay the $250 greens fees either

I would have been shocked if MI wasn’t high on the list

Also, at least one course from Cabot Citrus Farms in Florida will be added to the list, unless they go full private/stay and play.

How much does it cost to play Arcadia Bluffs?

I played it many years ago when it was new, but haven't been back. I'll bet it is expensive.

In my mind the disconnect with this list is the restriction to Top 100. And then comparing all states the same without consideration to population of state and cost of golf.

Considering bang for the buck Michigan is number 1 IMnotsoHO. CA, OR and even WI are dominated by very high priced daily fee course that are usually very difficult to access and require reservations well in advance. The courses listed for Michigan do not include dozens of other options that are great in their own right. Winter is the only thing keeping Michigan humble.

You can walk on to any course at Shanty Cteek without staying there. I do it all the time because it's minutes from the cottage. Use the golfnow app and get some crazy good pricing all over the state
Of course the best deals are after 1- 2pm

#OnWisconsin 🔥IMG_4842.jpeg

You can walk on to any course at Shanty Cteek without staying there. I do it all the time because it's minutes from the cottage. Use the golfnow app and get some crazy good pricing all over the state
Of course the best deals are after 1- 2pm
Daylight chasers always make for the best deals :/

Each time I click on a golf digest link I remember why I dislike them.

Come play Michigan, well anyone not from Ohio that is....we are always #1.

imagesmitt.png

Surprised NC wasn't higher. Lots of really good public golf.

Back