Golf Digest - Best states for public golf

In my mind the disconnect with this list is the restriction to Top 100. And then comparing all states the same without consideration to population of state and cost of golf.
…or how many months out of the year you can actually play said courses. I’d think that would factor into how good a state is for golf.

Noticed there wasn't much in the way of affordable public golf on the list. Thanks Golf Digest......for nothing.

Noticed there wasn't much in the way of affordable public golf on the list. Thanks Golf Digest......for nothing.
Why would the put the local hidden gym on a list like this? Bucket list courses are generally not $25 all you can play type places.

Ann Arbor in the spring. So nice.
Ahh yes, the A2 rite of spring for 60 years... the annual Hash Bash, where they put the high into higher education.

Why would the put the local hidden gym on a list like this? Bucket list courses are generally not $25 all you can play type places.
I figured the article would difine how many public courses were in an area, not list a bunch of resort, and semi private courses.

Guess my title was a little deceiving for some. It should've read "Golf Digest - Best states for public golf based on their Best 100 Public but Resort-Style/ High-End Courses list. "

I don't consider many of those courses public most golfers cannot afford the rates and I'm one of them . One round at Pebble is more than I pay for a long weekend of golf.

I’d like to see an article on the best sub $70 courses we must play
Then you’d get 6hr rounds from people busting down the door to get to play it, so they’d raise the rates and the cycle continues :/

I know with great certainty, WV will no rank high on the list. Its about as unfriendly for a public golfer as you can get. A couple decent places to play but everything is also very spread out. Doesn't look that way on the map, but there is no way you clear this state side to side in less than 3 hours as small as it is. A lot of remote areas to travel.

I know with great certainty, WV will no rank high on the list. Its about as unfriendly for a public golfer as you can get. A couple decent places to play but everything is also very spread out. Doesn't look that way on the map, but there is no way you clear this state side to side in less than 3 hours as small as it is. A lot of remote areas to travel.
I only know of one course in WV, and I have heard similar. Fly into Pittsburgh, drive 4hrs. Its closer than flying into WV proper 🫤

I only know of one course in WV, and I have heard similar. Fly into Pittsburgh, drive 4hrs. Its closer than flying into WV proper 🫤
There are very few straight lines to anywhere.

Calling Pebble Beach a public course is kind of hilarious.

I understand that by the simplest definitions, it's public. The Straits are in a similar situation.

How about a listing of the best golf for under $70.

Calling Pebble Beach a public course is kind of hilarious.

I understand that by the simplest definitions, it's public. The Straits are in a similar situation.

How about a listing of the best golf for under $70.
Rates are still jacked up thanks to winter time, but I can think of maybe one or two courses under 70 in my area that aren’t resort or private.

That doesn’t bode well for an easy list to compile.

Rates are still jacked up thanks to winter time, but I can think of maybe one or two courses under 70 in my area that aren’t resort or private.

I know. It might not be doable by state.

I know I've beat this drum, a lot. But you can walk this course for less than $50. With cart for less than $70.

For the sake of "the list", have it be for <$100.

It’s a ridiculous premise to begin with since all areas finances are not created equally.

There are plenty of places and lists for cheap golf. But no offense to podunk town muni open 6 months of the year, it’s not TPC Sawgrass and the experience isn’t anywhere near the same

It’s a ridiculous premise to begin with since all areas finances are not created equally.

There are plenty of places and lists for cheap golf. But no offense to podunk town muni open 6 months of the year, it’s not TPC Sawgrass and the experience isn’t anywhere near the same
Without a doubt that places like Sawgrass, Pebble, The Straits, etc offer a different experience. But that's also not the point. Great golf can still be had that doesn't cost $500+ per round.

Without a doubt that places like Sawgrass, Pebble, The Straits, etc offer a different experience. But that's also not the point. Great golf can still be had that doesn't cost $500+ per round.
Nobody said otherwise.
Still public

Steaks and burgers are both delicious. They don’t need to be priced the same and both are still food

Nobody said otherwise.
Still public

Steaks and burgers are both delicious. They don’t need to be priced the same and both are still food
And Wisconsin has the best steaks and damn good burgers.

Golf courses are rather nice too.

• Eye Roll
Reactions: JB

Exactly

Back