Golf Hitting Mat. Advice.

collegefbfan

Reaction score
I have a great net already. I am wondering about a golf mat/platform. I have some things around in which I could construct one. I have some unused gym mats that fit together, some wood, plenty of screws, staples, etc. Just wondering if purchasing one would be better, and honestly, more affordable considering cost of other materials needed and time put into it. Not looking to sink $150-$200 into one. So many mixed reviews online, some tear, some wear out super quick, and so forth. Anyone purchase one they like that didn't break the bank? Anyone build one they like? Thanks.

My advice is spend the money to get something decent. If you don't want outlay for a full mat, I would get one of these:

It's going to be durable, a good hitting surface, you can put a tee in it, and best of all - it will help you avoid the chances of injuring yourself.

I agree with Hawk, the mat is honestly the one thing to NOT skimp on imo. A bad mat will flat out hurt you.

I have a great net already. I am wondering about a golf mat/platform. I have some things around in which I could construct one. I have some unused gym mats that fit together, some wood, plenty of screws, staples, etc. Just wondering if purchasing one would be better, and honestly, more affordable considering cost of other materials needed and time put into it. Not looking to sink $150-$200 into one. So many mixed reviews online, some tear, some wear out super quick, and so forth. Anyone purchase one they like that didn't break the bank? Anyone build one they like? Thanks.

For a full mat the SigPro Softy is more than you are looking to spend (but it is one of the best on the market), but I have seen people buy the SigPro Softy hitting insert and build up a home mat around it: Sigpro Softy Hitting Insert

Yeah I agree on skimping. Any other mat come in a close second? That's a few bucks there, wow!

Yeah I agree on skimping. Any other mat come in a close second? That's a few bucks there, wow!
some have gotten other mats and cut a space in them to make that softy strip work. Check out the garage sim thread, lots of info in there. @AuzzieMatt threw in a pretty good illustration on how to make it work well.

another thing to consider if you live in an area with alot of courses. . Might be worth a call around to some courses in your area and see if they are changing out mats and see if you can buy one of the used ones.

Alot of times here in atlanta, this is the season of courses changing out mats with play starting to pick up. Was able to get a very good one for $75 bucks from one of the courses in my area

If you are going to hitting a lot of balls in a session with some regularity, spending a little more now will pay off in the long run. Hitting a lot of balls off a cheap mat will eventually cause you pain.

I have these now https://www.realfeelgolfmats.com/product/country-club-elite-hitting-strip/

That's a little more than you said you want to spend but your body will thank you.

Thanks for the SigPro Softy info. Plan on getting a used mat from my course, cut out the wear spot and put the insert in.
The softy will be taller than the mat from your course more than likely. You may need to put a foam mat or a livestock mat underneath to make it a level hitting surface. Its not hard and there are some examples in the garage crew thread. It's worth the effort, the softy is 🔥

Has anyone compared the sigpro softy hitting strip vs the EZ tee hybrid hitting strip?

Has anyone compared the sigpro softy hitting strip vs the EZ tee hybrid hitting strip?
Softy is almost an inch thicker. It's got channels at the bottom that allow it to compress as well.

I agree with everyone on the Sigpro Softy. It’s expensive but you will never have to buy a mat again. As many have said DONT skimp on the mat. I can attest as an owner of one like many that I have felt no joint pain ect after thousands of hits. And I take divots with my irons. Big ones sometimes lol. Real feedback and no pain.

Oh lord, you all gonna make me buy one of these...

If you have other stuff you can use around it.....I have used the low cost champkey mats you can buy off amazon that are like 30$ and honestly i've hit hundreds of balls off them. Very durable.

They are small mats just for hitting, you can't stand on them. What i did was use rubber mats i already had in my barn that were the same height and i stood on those.

If you have other stuff you can use around it.....I have used the low cost champkey mats you can buy off amazon that are like 30$ and honestly i've hit hundreds of balls off them. Very durable.

They are small mats just for hitting, you can't stand on them. What i did was use rubber mats i already had in my barn that were the same height and i stood on those.
Yeah, I am thinking something along this line for now. My wife and I were talking about hitting mats the other day. A few moments later, she said something like oh babe, I found you a hitting mat, like $700. It popped up on my Instagram. Yup, I will take one of those. Funny thing I haven't seen it yet.

Yeah, I am thinking something along this line for now. My wife and I were talking about hitting mats the other day. A few moments later, she said something like oh babe, I found you a hitting mat, like $700. It popped up on my Instagram. Yup, I will take one of those. Funny thing I haven't seen it yet.

Just make sure you have something you can stand on that levels the ground and you're fine. I had rubber mats commonly used for horses ( i have horses). Those were exactly the same height

The champkey ones were totally fine for me and very cheap

I had settled on the softie but they have been back ordered for so long I ended up canceling my order. I ended up getting a Bullseye 3D hitting strip and after hitting hundreds of balls I've had no pain whatsoever... Might be an option?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I had settled on the softie but they have been back ordered for so long I ended up canceling my order. I ended up getting a Bullseye 3D hitting strip and after hitting hundreds of balls I've had no pain whatsoever... Might be an option?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
The SigPro Softie stuff really do take forever to get. I don't see how that doesn't negatively effect their sales.

The SigPro Softie stuff really do take forever to get. I don't see how that doesn't negatively effect their sales.
It does. Mine took at least 2 weeks after I ordered for it to ship, and that was after I sent an email inquiry.

It does. Mine took at least 2 weeks after I ordered for it to ship, and that was after I sent an email inquiry.
2 weeks is fast. You're the first person I've heard get it in less than 4 in quite a while.

2 weeks is fast. You're the first person I've heard get it in less than 4 in quite a while.
WOW. They need to address it, for sure. Maybe order twice as many from their manufacturer the way they're selling them.

Back