NEWS Golf Rounds Way Up

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score

this doesn't surprise me. Because while yes there were closures, at least up here, they were open-closed-open within weeks. At that point, golf was the only sport that people were pretty much able to partake in.

That's crazy considering courses were closing for a while. When they opened and it was considered a safe activity more than others, it makes sense.

That’s great news! Wonder how golf TV ratings compare for the same period. Now if only my local 9 hole course would reopen...

Hopefully some of the people that have started playing/ taken the game back up because of Covid will get the bug like all of us and keep playing once things get back to normal.

Pro shops everywhere.

With it being the only activity our course was booked everyday, from 6am to 6pm. It finally eased a little bit when the LA city courses reopened about a month later. Now the only times that are usually not fully booked are the 2 hour long walking only blocks they have in place because of the single rider, lack of carts issue. Sadly one of the local courses has announced that they are closing down and reverting the area back to an orchard.

Rounds for me are way down this year. The course is always busy it’s been hard to get on.

this doesn't surprise me. Because while yes there were closures, at least up here, they were open-closed-open within weeks. At that point, golf was the only sport that people were pretty much able to partake in.

Yep, not super alarming. it was one of like 4 activities that people could go out and do. I mean dang, we had a time where people couldn't go out and fish on their boat unless they could send off a private ramp/dock.

Met a lot of interesting and fun people due to more coming out though haha. One was even an agent for PGA tour players.... great guy.

Glad to hear and not surprised to see this either.

Spoke to a local head pro at a private club and said they got hammered in the pandemic. Members that usually traveled and worked in the office were now at home and grounded flight wise. These weekend players all became weekday players and the course was getting a ton of play that otherwise they wouldn't. Had to replace all the range balls due to it as well. I think course superintendents around the country were all trying to figure out how to keep the courses up. Lot of clubs in the area had pretty bad course conditions in late spring because of it.

Golf was the only activity that was open for a long time up here.

I still have trouble making / getting tee times at courses I used to basically walk on to.

This is no surprise at all, at least based on my anecdotal observation. It has been decades since it was this difficult to obtain tee times in my area. It is almost impossible to walk on the day of and that has not been the case for years.

this is a double edged sword....

This surprises me not at all. I'm playing more during Covid times due to less other options for my entertainment. I'm skewed because I joined a club this year but i'm well up over a 150% increase from last year

I personally have played more golf this summer than in the last three combined, but it's due more to work/family circumstances than the pandemic. At the two courses within a seven minute drive, I haven't exactly been able to walk on, but I have had plenty of options for tee times.

makes sense and would explain the longer than normal round times I have experienced or the inability to get a late afternoon tee time when normally those are wide open

We have a lot more pkaying time. Not surprising at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

being from Canada and a 9 hole course, we generally judge how busy it is by how many 100+ round days we have in a season. The season isn't over yet, and we've broken records for our course. We also had 2 for 1 days in the past, and have not needed to have any specials this year to stay busy.

1598540764219.png

And just for July and August we're up 37% over the avg.. We used to take tee times, and walk ons, but with covid, we online book now.
As when covid came out we were to have 12 min between tee times. They relaxed the rule to 8 minutes, but we left it at 12. Seems the perfect amount of time between groups.

Trying to get the proper funding in place to build a new clubhouse. We have made a huge dent in the money needed, just now we need lumber prices to drop. Absolutely insane, $37.95 for a sheet of 3/8 osb.

Not surprising given how hard it is to get a tee time this year. It’s great, but unfortunately with less course and more closing the overflow will continue if people keep up with it next year. A good problem to have, but I may have to join a club next year.

Just going by my own home course - people who I never used to see on the course are out in droves. And kids - I see tons more kids playing golf then I ever have before.

That's great. And not surprising. My old home club is on pace to double their best number from the last 10 years. Everyone loving golf this year.

Heck, my little sister has gone golfing 5 or 6 times. She's in her 40s, and that surely doubled the number of times she's golfed in her life.

People being home I assume is the biggest reason. And even with the economy issues many folks have canceled vacations and spending less money doing things like dining out as well as other things that normally cost money and time. The whole picture leaves more time and also money for golf participation. Plus it is one recreation that by very nature of the game itself fits really well with social distancing.

Just goes to show how the only thing ever wrong with golf was nothing. People now having the disposable time and money even with longer paces on crowded courses and in economic shutdowns and still they come and play more. Seems contradicting doesnt it?

Wish there was a stat to track those that have golfed since taking a hiatus from the game and those that are new to the game.

Wonder if average rounds per player are also up.

Back