Golfing In The Fall

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
What's the best and worst things you like about golfing in the fall. I suppose that one of the things is the cooler weather. Two of the things I hate the worst is looking for golf balls among the leaves. The second would be aerated greens. I remember a couple of years ago I swear one course had holes in the greens the size of quarters. :LOL:

Really enjoy the cooler temps. Have to agree searching for balls in the leaves is no fun. :( They course are done with aeration here and will be healed and good by end of this month.

I hate looking for balls in the leaves, too. Heck, I can lose a ball in the first cut sometimes. That's what happens when you've got one eye working at 20/400. Oh, well, it is what it is. I love the cooler temps. I could play in the 60's all day every day.

In NC its the weather and with our grasses we have great conditions until November when we start to see overseeding. I also enjoy the first tee times are later in the morning so I won't have to get up at 5:45 on a weekend.

Looking for balls in the leaves gets old but that's what "gallery balls" are for

Finishing a round in time before the 1pm NFL games - that’s a great day!

I love our fall THP Event schedule. Amazing courses, tons of gear and perfect weather.

Worse to me is the cooler temps. My game gets worse when the temps drop. We don't really have much of a fall per se. It will go from high of 90 to high of 50 almost overnight. My course did their last aeration about a month ago so don't have to worry about that. The leaves certainly present a challenge to finding balls that are hit off the beaten path. My course does a good job of blowing them off the fairways and the 5 yards of rough before the woods start.

Playing in the fall means don't use the driver because you need to stay on the short grass in the middle of the fairway. It means playing with shag balls. Some courses have a local "leaf rule" because you can actually lose your ball in the fairway. However if it's pines, there's not much of a problem. Only if there's a lot of deciduous trees.

But if there's a wind storm and it covers a green with say cedar "leaves", I know you can clean debris out of your putting line... can you create a channel for your ball to get to the hole?

My favorite time of year no matter what I'm doing. If I could, I would wear sweaters year round.

I love the low sun, I love the colors in the trees. I love the mist as it rises from the wet grass in the early mornings. Not a thing I don't like. If I lose a ball, I'm not going to be bothered to look more than a minute or so.

I love the weather change, but hate trying to find my ball in the rough - under piles of leaves! I’ve tried marking them with neon sharpies, all kinds of Truvis, etc. Might try blue-colored golf balls this fall.

I enjoy golfing in the fall. The scenery is nice and I don’t mind wearing pants and a 1/4 zip. The leaves are a pain but if the course is maintained well enough it’s not a huge deal.

Fall golf is enjoyable here. Not the big crowds ,fairly decent temperatures and the nature . Cannot be beat , hoping to get as many rounds I can in before the winter hits

The best thing is cooler temps. The worst is more expensive and crowded. November thru April are our busy times.

The Fall is my favorite time of the year for golf. Rates are cheaper, courses less crowded, and the colors are awesome. Plus it’s the last chance to play before 5 months of the courses being closed.

Don’t like losing a ball in the fairway because of the leaves but that’s the only downside.

All falls are not created equal. Fall here is glorious for golf other than conflicting with football. We have just endured the “toughest” season for golf in Arizona and we will be moving into the best season once they overseed in October. To me, there is nothing better than Arizona golf in November (weather-wise).

I’m in upstate NY so the fall is a wonderful time with the leaves ? changing. Although the cooler weather is ok, I dislike frost delays and having to keep the hands warm.

Love fall golf to enjoy the change of leaves. 50s and 60s are comfortable weather once you adjust to it.

Leaves drives me crazy when I lose balls lol. I transition to cheaper balls around that time or use my collection of collected balls over the summer.

I am in agreement with a lot of the posts, love the weather and the scenery. Hate losing balls that should not be lost and that it means my season is coming to an end.

Love: cool dry air.

Hate: Massive price increase. Snowbirds.

All falls are not created equal. Fall here is glorious for golf other than conflicting with football. We have just endured the “toughest” season for golf in Arizona and we will be moving into the best season once they overseed in October. To me, there is nothing better than Arizona golf in November (weather-wise).
Can’t wait to experience it. Paying for it is another matter.

Most courses around here do a nice job of keeping leaves off the fairway so no problem finding your ball. :oops: Kidding of course. The other drawback is flat light. It's amazing to see a ball disappear even when you know exactly where it's going.

Pluses outweigh the drawbacks and I love Fall golf for the weather and scenery. Fewer players also means our foursome can easily walk a round in under 4 hours.

Last edited:
I love the fall golf. I'm heading up to the cabin Friday morning for a boys golf weekend with 3 buddies. We'll play 72+ holes in 3 days and the weather looks perfect with mid 70's. Here are a few pics from a couple of years ago of the same fall golf trip. The second and third pictures are of the 223 yard (246 from the back tees) par 3 15th where the guy in the American shorts made a HIO the first time he played that hole 12 years ago.

rScreen Shot 2019-09-18 at 7.21.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-18 at 7.20.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-18 at 7.20.09 PM.png some pictures

Last edited:
That hole ^^^^ and is a tester!

Love the cooler weather, just barely starting to almost want pants here, later tee times and just nicer weather. I’ll play as long as they let me on the course, so well into November, when it’s almost empty on the course.

Back