Handheld or dedicated GPS vs Cellphone App GPS

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Listening to @Canadan and @JB talking about this made me wonder how many are still using dedicated watches, handhelds or built in like the motocaddy or cart vs just using the convenience of your cellphone

Handheld. As I mentioned on the show, I am finding the GPS much more useful than I expected.

• Admin
Handheld. As I mentioned on the show, I am finding the GPS much more useful than I expected.
Me too though I use the cellphone app. I am wondering how many people use Skytrak, Garmin, Bushnell GPS only devices still

I doubt I would ever go to a phone app as I have played quite a few courses where the mobile signal coverage is terrible to non-existent, so an app trying to download images just wouldn't work in that instance

I've tried the phone apps, and use a range finder and a Garmin approach hand-held. Likely going to try the watch route for next season because I want to have fewer things to refer to. I see playing partners with a quick look at their wrist and be ready to go

I'm not through the whole off course yet, but I am like 90% going to get a hand held. I need to do more research and I really need to look into them fully but I want something that will tell me about how to shoot away from hazards. The phone and clip one that I have now are great but they tell me to the pin / green and I don't always have the ability to make it that far. If I'm 200 away, I am not worried about getting to the pin I'm worried about missing the bunker or hazard that is 130 away or whatever.

• Admin
I have VERY little interest in using my phone as a GPS - If I had to pick one, it would be handheld.
I compare it cameras. You went on vacation you took a camera, now nobody does or even needs one because you always have your phone with you. I always have my phone with me. It has GPS, why pay a couple hundred for a device when you already have one?

I rely on the GPS provided by The Grint on my phone. It lays out each hole very well so you can see the hazards and it has all the yardage information I need. It has a companion watch app that is really useful for quick front/middle/back yardages.

I do find myself missing a handheld rangefinder at times though.

I rely on the GPS provided by The Grint on my phone. It lays out each hole very well so you can see the hazards and it has all the yardage information I need. It has a companion watch app that is really useful for quick front/middle/back yardages.

I do find myself missing a handheld rangefinder at times though.
I've never used the Grint but I have seen many guys talk about it so I may have to check it out next year. What about the handheld device is better for you because what you described sounds pretty perfect.

I compare it cameras. You went on vacation you took a camera, now nobody does or even needs one because you always have your phone with you. I always have my phone with me. It has GPS, why pay a couple hundred for a device when you already have one?
Personally? Because I feel like it bogs down the device, and I don't want it in my hand because they I do other things on it.

Not to mention battery life.

I'm surprised by the answers here. @Canadan what do you use for yardages then? @JB - You're using that laser that shows the break on the greens (I can not think of the brand or model) and then also a handheld GPS too?

I've never used the Grint but I have seen many guys talk about it so I may have to check it out next year. What about the handheld device is better for you because what you described sounds pretty perfect.

I just think at times I like to see the trouble into and around the greens. With the rangefinder you can confirm or see some of the green complex and how much room you have to miss. At times the way that is presented on the app doesn't give that "real world" look if that makes sense.

Handheld for me, I want the battery life maintained as much as possible, and I want to be able to put my phone away if I can at all help it when I play. It buzzes enough as it is.

I'm surprised by the answers here. @Canadan what do you use for yardages then? @JB - You're using that laser that shows the break on the greens (I can not think of the brand or model) and then also a handheld GPS too?
Right now, just a laser - Bushnell Pro X2.

If I switch back, it'll be to the SkyCaddie SGXw but I'll need to reactivate my membership (which is annoying)

I use the Grint app via my smart watch.

Though I find the GPS is quite slow to update compared to the previous apps I used.

Personally? Because I feel like it bogs down the device, and I don't want it in my hand because they I do other things on it.

Not to mention battery life.
This is me too. I don't like my phone distracting me. If I have to grab it to get a yardage, well then I am going to see that I missed an email or a message. When I have tried it in the past, the battery life has suffered because of it. I snagged a Bushnell Phantom 2 a month ago to clip to my bag. Just gives me the front, middle, and back yardage. Very basic device that is very basic to use. Just takes a quick glance to get the info.

I’m kicking around a watch, let the phone its Arccos thing, so if I need an aerial snapshot I can get it, but for simple front middle back, which I feel is adequate for my game, it would be really nice jaut to glance at a watch and be rolling

Another thing as to why I don't really enjoy the phone - switching between posting live round or updates on THP vs the apps as well. I want the phone ready to rock and roll so I'm not slowing down others (too much) rather than tabbing between different things.

The phone GPS worked ok, but was unwieldy at times.
Laser worked, but again was just one more thing to carry around, not very useful from a fairway over, etc 😐
GPS watch is perfect. Give me front middle back with the flip of a wrist. Can't forget it cause it's stuck to you. Strap on the G3 is the only complaint, but that's minor for the convenience.

If I switch back, it'll be to the SkyCaddie SGXw but I'll need to reactivate my membership (which is annoying)
Membership fees on those units are typically more expensive than app fees if required

Another thing as to why I don't really enjoy the phone - switching between posting live round or updates on THP vs the apps as well. I want the phone ready to rock and roll so I'm not slowing down others (too much) rather than tabbing between different things.
This is where I'm going to get CRUSHED at the THP experience. I use my phone a TON. I use Arccos on my phone for the yardages, and I use GolfLogix for the Green Books. I just don't see myself being able to go straight to my Apple Watch which would be ideal to post updates.

Membership fees on those units are typically more expensive than app fees if required
Yeah, but it's a sunk cost for a much more accurate experience. Say what you will about SkyCaddie's membership program, there's no denying the pinpoint accuracy considering they actually walk the courses.

They make a fantastic GPS. Features, UI, display quality. All fantastic. The membership is annoying. But, they are still the best GPS, at least in my eyes.

Yeah, but it's a sunk cost for a much more accurate experience. Say what you will about SkyCaddie's membership program, there's no denying the pinpoint accuracy considering they actually walk the courses.
Next time you are at the tech studio, try the Voice Caddie watch I have here. I just clip it to my bag or cart and away we go. It is so freaking good.

Back