ANNOUNCEMENT Live Chat: Ethan Ganot with Callaway Golf

@EthanatorCG What golf company has the biggest marketing budget?

@EthanatorCG what did you think when robinson cano went to the mets??

What brands do you think are handling the current environment correctly/best?

@EthanatorCG what is the overriding ethos of Callaway marketing? What do you want people to think when they think of Callaway?

@EthanatorCG You have a unique sense of humor in your personal social media dealings, who are some of your idols or inspirations in regards to this?

Do you have a favorite Callaway campaign/product you've marketed the past 7 years?

West coast or East coast IPA?

Best movie in the past year or so?

Three-in-one!
Campaign -- I love anything that we do that has personality to it. Sometimes we get very tech heavy (understandably), but when we add emotion it's much more fun and connecting. So for that reason I really enjoyed Big Bertha Irons in 2014. I mean how ridiculous is this video at the bottom of this post? Does it tell you the benefit of the product in a very clear way??!?

IPA - west coast. I love the haze craze but I can't drink more than one of those in a session, just too much body!

Movie - Two Popes was great. Marriage Story was great (obviously a downer), I loved the Irishman, and The Laundromat was a super cool story told in a really interesting way. Of course I loved Star Wars but it was a bit formulaic

@EthanatorCG What role does marketing play in terms of club design at Callaway? Are you able to change the design or aesthetics based on a marketing scheme? Is that often done?

Easy E! My guy!

@EthanatorCG what’s the HARDEST thing you ever had to market, and why?

@EthanatorCG What are your thoughts on local breweries getting bought up by the MillerCoors/Anheuser-Busch's of the world? Is it leading to a level of consolidation by pushing out the little guy or is it encouraging more start-up breweries now that they have a chance at a "lottery ticket" buyout?

sweet. I think I can make this one. looking forward to another lefty talking golf.

Hey @EthanatorCG - is it me, or are golf courses naturally biased against us lefties? At least in the NorthEast (I'm from NY) it seems that many more holes have O-O-B/woods on the left hand side of fairways on many more holes than on the right side of fairways. As a slicer, I notice this, whereas my RH playing partners, when they slice, their balls tend to be between 2 fairways, and at least not requiring a penalty stroke. What's that all about? LOL.

Yes it's definitely a giant conspiracy!! What you need to do is develop a two way miss and then you won't have to feel like you're being discriminated against!

I'd sooner complain about lefty popcorn/french fry shovels not being a thing before changing golf courses. It's physically impossible to use one of these with your left hand

Hey @EthanatorCG thanks for doing this! I know Callaway is associated with the NLU guys. I think it's a great partnership! How did that come about? Did they approach you or did you approach them?

Question for Ethan from social.

What is it like to be a LH guy in the marketing department when new gear comes out?

@EthanatorCG I find the outtakes/bloopers from tv shows and such really funny, do you have any that Callaway actually used or released in their marketing?

@EthanatorCG

How does Callaway Marketing view the balance between explaining too little or too much of the technology behind your product?

Have you tried Almanac Beer Co. Bunny Hill IPA......its like drinking a hoppy cloud or as their marketing, a "liquid snowflake". My current fav.

@EthanatorCG During your time in WI what was your favorite place to play golf, both around or outside of Milwaukee?

Easy winner on this one - Washington County http://www.golfwcgc.com/

It was also fun to play Brown Deer, which I think is where Tiger made his pro debut. The course isn't amazing, but it was fun to picture it set up for the big boys. I once blew a drive so far left on number nine that I had to hit a sand wedge over a parking lot full of cars to get back in play. (I made a bogey)

@EthanatorCG do you think Callaway will jump further into the technology market? Like shot monitors, etc... It seems to me like a logical step after the AI designing with clubs.

@EthanatorCG, how difficult is it to not stuff the trunk of your car with all the new goodies each time they release something new and shiny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@EthanatorCG what recent release excited you the most / went into your bag the quickest?

Right now the world is in crisis management mode in a lot, if not all, areas.
How has this changed, or challenged, your marketing approach.

Oh 100%. We do most of our advertising during live golf events and right now there's no golf, so we need to find other ways to reach people. Most importantly, we need to do that in ways that are tonefully appropriate. So we've done a lot more promotion of content rather than product and we are trying to make sure the messages are using language that's being sensitive to the situations that people are going through. And toeing the line between encouraging people to play golf (safely and where still allowed, obviously) but also not being the company that encourages bad behavior or accidentally rubs it in that some people can't play based on locations and situations.
Very interesting times...

Back