Hat Off in Clubhouse?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I was speaking to a friend of mine that said his course mandates hats off everywhere indoors. The club we are looking at is similar and the one we came from is similar as well. Personally I kind of like the rule, as its a throwback to etiquette away from the golf course, but I know everybody is different.

Does your course require hats off?

Being in the South, I find that no one takes their hats off anywhere.

No. But I have played at places that do require it and you get reminded of that

Mine does hat off inside the restaurant, but out of pure habit I just take it off when I step inside. Never had a problem with it, it’s a two second thing and I usually want the cool air in my head anyway

Seen it once, didn’t mind it myself but @LLIB may have different opinion 😆.

Growing up my parents course required hats off in the clubhouse. I believe the rule still stands.

I don’t belong to a club but have certainly played a FTE courses that require hats off indoors..... seemed like this was followed to the letter with the exception of inside the pro shop.....??
I try to remember to remove my hat while in any / every course clubhouse just as a simple courtesy

I have never played anywhere that fancy.

Hats off everywhere except the locker room. I love it. Nice classy throwback to old times.

Why is it a courtesy? Who came up with it? It just seems so arbitrary.

Mine does hat off inside the restaurant, but out of pure habit I just take it off when I step inside. Never had a problem with it, it’s a two second thing and I usually want the cool air in my head anyway
The first thing I did walking into the clubhouse yesterday was remove my hat, although I don’t believe it was required. It’s a habit that carried over from my Navy days. Personally, wearing hats inside the clubhouse doesn’t bother me, but I prefer to remove my hat.

Why is it a courtesy? Who came up with it? It just seems so arbitrary.
Sign of respect. It goes back to very old etiquette.

Sign of respect. It goes back to very old etiquette.

Yes, but why? We say please and thank you to be cordial. We stand when a woman enters the room to recognize and be on a level with them. How did removing a hat come to be this sign of respect and more importantly, how did not removing a hat become disrespectful?

It would be like having women move their handbag from their right side to their left side when entering a room. It's arbitrary and lacks any kind of logic....unless I'm missing something here.

When I'm attending something formal, I don't wear a hat in the first place but if I'm golfing in one and just snagging a beer at the bar, it's silly to have to remove it.

Not sure this is something I've ever been concerned with or had a club enforce this type of rule

Have heard at Bayhill, Arnie insisted on this

The course I play most does not have that rule.

It's not that I am against the rule out of hand, but most courses who have those sort of requirements are courses I usually rarely frequent. The atmosphere usually puts me off.

Hats off everywhere indoors except the pro shop, but that's in a different building completely.

technically yes, though not enforced.

Yes, but why? We say please and thank you to be cordial. We stand when a woman enters the room to recognize and be on a level with them. How did removing a hat come to be this sign of respect and more importantly, how did not removing a hat become disrespectful?

It would be like having women move their handbag from their right side to their left side when entering a room. It's arbitrary and lacks any kind of logic....unless I'm missing something here.

When I'm attending something formal, I don't wear a hat in the first place but if I'm golfing in one and just snagging a beer at the bar, it's silly to have to remove it.
Why do we take it off during the national anthem?

There are a lot of theories such as hats were worn for warmth so wearing one indoors was Inappropriate to the old west when a Hat was extremely dusty so taking it off didn’t drag dirt everywhere.

Its just one of those old carryover things.

The etiquette goes back depending on who you ask. First it was a sign of respect so that the person could see the face of the other person they were speaking with. Some say it was about using a hat originally was in part about dust and removing it would keep the dust from falling on someone else's floor. There are many areas in which this was applied throughout history.

the course i belonged to last year did not require it. my buddy's course (nicer) does. it's a habit of mine to take it off when inside. i'm not perfect about it, but i do still try.

Yep when you are in the dining rooms you have to have your hat off.

not hats off, but hats forward.

I don't mind one way or the other, as long as it is clear.
This is the rule at our Club which is fine with me. Typically people in the dining area dont have them on. At the bar its a mix sometimes people stopping in for drinks after a round sit at the bar and some leave their hat on and some dont. Doesnt bother me either way.

I would not mind a rule like that. I am not sure what looks better, or worse. I nice hat, or very messy hat head from not brushing your hair then putting on a hat to cover your mop for 4-6 hours..

Back