Have you ever just stop playing?

I try not to give advice. When I gave up golf in 2006, it was to make necessary changes in my life. I had to make some really tough choices and some pretty easy ones. Giving up golf was a piece of cake compared to the rest. I started back in 2011 and almost have my handicap back to my all time low. My wife encouraged me to play then & now. In the midst of insanity I could not focus & golf was an irritant. These days golf is a chance to enjoy life on life's terms. It is a chance for me to think I have power over something!

Dude, the golf course is the one place where life distractions don't bother me. You must have some heavy stuff going on.

This^^^^^^

more like distractions...while playing...like you gotta case of with bio break, wife calling middle of your round asking when you will be done, people playing really slow, all these little things start adding up, and by end of the round, your good start when to sh*t...Life distractions...I can deal with.

How to overcome mental distractions?

How to overcome mental distractions?

Well the long story short is I was a few holes into my consolation club championship match and we were all square, I got a call from my mother about my grandfather who collapsed after leaving church and was being taken to the hospital for observation. They told me they would keep me updated, the doctors said it wasn't anything life threatening and that I should keep playing and touch base with them when I was done. (He was given a couple units of blood and was sent home that night so he's doing great, but at the time it was quite serious in my mind at least)

Well my game just fell apart, I was already nervous to compete before the match, and now with this news weighting me down I was even in worse shape.

So here's the question:

If you have something fairly significant weighing on your mind while playing before, during or after your round, how do you tune it out and focus on your game and the shot at hand?

That is something I would not be able to tune out. I dont take phone calls during a match though, thats unusual to me. Glad to hear he is doing great!

So here's the question:

If you have something fairly significant weighing on your mind while playing before, during or after your round, how do you tune it out and focus on your game and the shot at hand?

I have said this on the forum in the past, I believe that there are many things that are much more important that a golf score. My only advice, is it too important that it can't wait until after the round. If it can't, then you may need to abandon the match and tend to your family matters. There is no shame in having to do so. Somethings are just more important that golf.

I've experienced two phone calls/texts with death or someone being unhealthy in my life, and both times my game fell apart.

I'm with Thain. The only way to tune it out is to turn off the ringer and find out after the round. Great news that he is doing better though!

I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle something like that. I think it would take a very special person to have something like that hit them mid round and still maintain focus.

There is no way I would have been able to tune it out. Glad to hear he is doing better.

I couldnt tune that out and for that reason tend to have the phone off during my rounds.

Glad to hear he is doing well though

I am the exception here. I never turn my phone off. I jsut put it to silent. I just ask myself, how would I feel if I missed an emergency call. There are things that I value much more than golf. No way would I prioritize them over my scores.

I am the exception here. I never turn my phone off. I jsut put it to silent. I just ask myself, how would I feel if I missed an emergency call. There are things that I value much more than golf. No way would I prioritize them over my scores.

If you have it on silent, then how would you know the call was coming in?

First Icey, I too would not of been able to continue. I have enough trouble with my mental focus when I have a blow up hole let alone something happen to a family member. So much of this game is mental which is why it is so frustrating to so many.

If you have it on silent, then how would you know the call was coming in?

I periodically check it during the round. Or I have it on vibrate.

I periodically check it during the round. Or I have it on vibrate.

This is what I do as well, my iPhone when on silent just vibrates and sometimes I hear it when it's going off sometimes I don't. But when there are hold ups I check it, usually to see the golf scores of the day!!!

Thank you all for the kind words and advice, the only reason I kept playing was at the urge of my parents, but otherwise my first thought was to concede the match and head to the hospital.

This is what I do as well, my iPhone when on silent just vibrates and sometimes I hear it when it's going off sometimes I don't. But when there are hold ups I check it, usually to see the golf scores of the day!!!

Thank you all for the kind words and advice, the only reason I kept playing was at the urge of my parents, but otherwise my first thought was to concede the match and head to the hospital.

Whenever I have my phone in my pocket, my wife will always call right in the middle of a backswing. And then just ask, "What hole are you on? When will you be home?"

Every winter

Me too. Every winter since 1978. I can play year round here in N. California but after spending my first 32 years in Minnesota/Wisconsin, I've continued to take 5 months off every winter since I move here 14 years ago. Skiing is my first love and is much more thrilling than golf. Let it snow!!!

Back