Have you ever "worked" a PGA Tour Event?

Maric

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Myrtle Beach will be hosting a PGA Tour event in May. I've volunteered and will be getting my assignment sometime next month. Have any of you worked such an event? What were your good/bad experiences?

Myrtle Beach will be hosting a PGA Tour event in May. I've volunteered and will be getting my assignment sometime next month. Have any of you worked such an event? What were your good/bad experiences?
I worked the Byron Nelson in college but that was through the college and we were working for the Four Seasons. I got lucky and was serving drinks to people in the bleachers behind the 18th tee box.

No, but I hung out with @dirty-d at one he was.

I worked with ESPN at a Sr event in Boston around 2000 or 2001

I have not, but I have a friend who has worked a lot of them, both PGAT and LPGA, and really enjoys it. He has worked his way from the more basic/entry level tasks up to being an on-course walking marshal, and has had the chance to meet and get to know a lot of the players.

Torrey Pines numerous times. It is what you make of it, not all jobs are glorious.

While not part of working the tour event, being in the men’s club, we used to walk the fairways and fill divots the day after it closed, which was usually 2-3 weeks prior to the event. That seemed to feel more fulfilling than anything I ever got assigned when working it.

Yep. Pensacola Open back in the 80s, I was like 5 with my grandfather and got to hold a quiet sign on the greenside with him.

I worked the Genesis here in L.A. and it was a good time. It’s work with long days, not just hanging around players and watching a tournament. It is fun if you get a job inside the ropes where you can be close and observe some of the play.

Yea, at the John Deere Classic on Pro-Am day. I stood on the 18th tee box and held up the "quiet" sign and tracked golf balls. It was fun.

Worked an LPGA event. The Ashi Roken Open in SC, the week after the Masters. I carried the scoring board and followed around a group every day. When it was all said and done, each player gave me balls, autographs, and the Tournament Sponsor gave us polo's to wear and we received a free round of golf with lunch. I tried once to work the Masters. You show up Monday morning and wait to see if you get any job available (empty trash, work a hole a Marshall....). I didn't get a job. But if you work the tournament you get to play the course.

I have, a few years ago I worked ShotLink in the 10th fairway at the Texas Valero Open. Thursday and Friday were long days! Really enjoyed it, and because I was stationary I was able to see everyone close. I'm glad I did it, not sure I'd do it again, here in Texas anyway.

I volunteered at Winged Foot in 2006 . It was a great experience and want to do it again. The 2020 US Open at WF only used members so I got frozen out. Its slated again for 2028. I did course evacuation committee so it was a piece of cake

I worked The Players one year in college. Got assigned to one of the big merchandise tents. Was pretty cool. Got free practice round access one day.

I worked the Kemper Open back in 1988, when I was a senior in high school, at TPC Avenel, as the sign/scorecard holder that walked behind the players. I was in the group with Tom Kite. Can't remember who else was in the group :unsure:

Not the big show but the BMW Charity ProAm on the Korn Ferry Tour. Volunteered twice. Second time sucked. I was on a cart crew responsible for transporting players and other volunteers out to the course (not bad) or during inclement weather (very bad… I got SOAKED!)

First volunteer experience I worked on a slomo camera crew for the Golf Channel. Mostly I just helped them schlep gear. But sometimes I got to help them with shots that wound up on TV. I got to see these during the delayed broadcasts in the evenings after I got home.

PGA...no. But I did work a US Open.

I marshalled at the GHO for a few years. One year got my Dad to join in and that was about his biggest golf deal.

Is it common to charge the volunteers for the effort? I’ve heard many charge because they give the vols shirts/caps and such

I was a special marshal for Tiger at the 1997 PGA at Winged Foot. Walked inside the ropes, and very close to him, for 36 holes. It was a treat.

Yes, Quite a few Events, Worked the Nelson for years as a Walking Scorer, Moved over to work the Colonial when the Nelson moved to Trinity Forest in south Dallas. I am a Marshall on the 7th hole every year, I have worked the Celebrity Invitational at Las Colinas and Last year i worked the Sr PGA Championship at the new Frisco Course as an Area Marshall. I have already gotten a slot at the PGA championship in Frisco this coming April

I volunteered at The Players a few years ago. Definitely want to get back out there another year. Just hasn’t fit with the schedule.

I worked The Players one year in college. Got assigned to one of the big merchandise tents. Was pretty cool. Got free practice round access one day.

You got to play Sawgrass for free for volunteering? That is a great perk. I don't think they have that perk anymore for any of the the events.

Last edited:
Back