Help, my distance has gone MIA!

Flooder

Reaction score
Handicap
As the title says, I've misplaced my distance (and I didn't have all that much to begin with). Went to play yesterday and found myself coming up 40-50 yards short of normal with the driver and 5-15 yards short with the irons. Here are the variables I can account for.

Weather: It was warm and humid with little wind, so this was not a factor.

Health: Nothing wrong here. No pains, tightness, etc.

Ball: I started with ProV1s which I've played before without seeing any distance loss. I then switched to some Noodle long & soft (only other ball I had) and saw the irons get a little better but driver continued to be horribly short.

Clubs: Same stuff I've been playing all season. I will say with the driver I did switch it from NU to L (closed the face 1* more) to fight my slice. It was much straighter and trajectory was good, but SHORT.

I don't get it, do you? Any thoughts appreciated!

I should add, I felt I was swinging pretty well and the balls were flying relatively straight and at normal trajectories.

I cannot imagine losing 40-50 yards on drives unless you are already stupid long. You need to see a teaching pro quickly IMO.

I cannot imagine losing 40-50 yards on drives unless you are already stupid long. You need to see a teaching pro quickly IMO.

No, not super long. Went from typical 235-255 down do 200-210

could you be over compressing the noodle? Still dont think you would lose 40-50 yards though by doing that, not sure what could cause that

+2 on seeing a professional.

Yeah I'd see a pro about it. Maybe backspin is making your ball balloon? I just got my driver reshafted to prevent that because I was losing 20-30 yds. Get your backspin rpm checked. 2300 is usually ideal.

Yeah I'd see a pro about it. Maybe backspin is making your ball balloon? I just got my driver reshafted to prevent that because I was losing 20-30 yds. Get your backspin rpm checked. 2300 is usually ideal.

it all depends on your SS and other numbers, that low is not always good, i know you said usually but i just wanted to let him know

Closing the face 1* adds 1* of loft, so you're now playing an 11.5 driver. You said the trajectory is about the same, so it sounds like too much spin. If you are getting the shot shape you want with that setting, try a ball with less spin off the driver. Maybe ProV1x.

Lot's of good suggestions here already, but I'll add: have you tried impact tape to see where on the face you're making contact?

Closing the face 1* adds 1* of loft, so you're now playing an 11.5 driver. You said the trajectory is about the same, so it sounds like too much spin. If you are getting the shot shape you want with that setting, try a ball with less spin off the driver. Maybe ProV1x.

its 1* closed add's 0.5* of loft, 2* closed would be a full degree more loft, he said L position so thats 2* closed and 1* more loft.

I forget this every time. In my mind, closed = draw and draw = low ball flight so I never think of this correctly. Thanks for pointing this out. I'm going to move it back and try other things to fix my slice.

Thanks for all the tips/thoughts. If it continues, I will certainly seek out some professional help.

its 1* closed add's 0.5* of loft, 2* closed would be a full degree more loft, he said L position so thats 2* closed and 1* more loft.

My mistake. Was going by the settings on my Nike where 1=1

Vr%20Pro.PNG

I forget this every time. In my mind, closed = draw and draw = low ball flight so I never think of this correctly. Thanks for pointing this out. I'm going to move it back and try other things to fix my slice.

Thanks for all the tips/thoughts. If it continues, I will certainly seek out some professional help.

If I'm losing distance I usually try to make a bigger turn. If I stop turning back or turning throguh I'll see a dramatic distance loss.

Sometimes happens if I don't warm up or I'm getting tired. Get handsy instead of using the core. No distance.

Keep the lower body planted and turn the back to the target. The separation of hips and shoulders with your core is where your power is.

Found a chart for the settings. Remember, small adjustments can make big changes.

http://bit.ly/qMqscX

If I'm losing distance I usually try to make a bigger turn. If I stop turning back or turning throguh I'll see a dramatic distance loss.

Sometimes happens if I don't warm up or I'm getting tired. Get handsy instead of using the core. No distance.

Keep the lower body planted and turn the back to the target. The separation of hips and shoulders with your core is where your power is.

Thank you! This is soooo true. I realized today I wasn't maintaining my spine angle and thinking about that helps me make a better turn as you describe.
Found a chart for the settings. Remember, small adjustments can make big changes.

http://bit.ly/qMqscX

Thanks, I'll check it out!

*** UPDATE: Today I played 9 with the Mrs. Before hand I moved the head back to Neutral Upright. First couple holes were a mess with weak slices. I was too afraid of the slice to swing the driver with any aggression. On the 4th hole I realized I was coming out of my spine angle and standing up to where my shoulders were nearly level. As soon as I corrected this I started hitting the driver straight and longer - got a couple out into the 270+ range. It's so amazing how one detail can fix so much. Thanks to all for the advice/tips.

Back