Hilton Head Island, 7/27-8/3

JLit

Reaction score
Handicap
After what was an interesting vacation planning, I'll be in HHI next Saturday for a week. If anyone wants to get in a round in the HH/Bluffton area, let me know.

Bummer, I am heading down the 17th, have fun!

Just a few short hours away, but there will be about 40 THPers in Myrtle Beach.

We contemplated MB for the chance of playing a few rounds with some lingering THPers after the MC. HHI and its awesomeness won out though.

OMG, I feel like a 13 year old girl in this post.

Noone? I plan to call Sea Pines and try to get on Harbour Town for an affordable rate.

Darn. Am driving down 8/3 and playing Harbourtown 8/5. Looks like I'll just be missing you.

Dang......Between you and motoo we have it surrounded and combine for imperfect timing. Dang.

Last edited:
A final bump just in case.

A final bump just in case.

Just a heads up, you can book HT online way in advance and pick a part of the day and it will give you some times. I believe the rate drops significantly for the afternoon.

Motoo, where did you play and how were the conditions?

Motoo, where did you play and how were the conditions?

I've played Hilton Head National twice, Old South (only got 11 or so holes in), Palmetto Dunes (the ocean course), Eagle Pointe and Harbour Town.

Out of those I would play Harbour Town, Hilton Head National, Palmetto Dunes and then Old South. If you are willing to drive off island about 20-30 minutes (from the center of the island) Hilton Head National is fantastic, no houses, a lot of woods, nice range and overall very peaceful. Harbour Town is a must play if you can swing it and Old South from what I remember was cool. There is some holes that sort of go out onto some marshes bay like areas. Palmetto Dunes is a nice complex, three courses, its sort of like a mini Harbour in the sense that you turn a corner on one hole and can sort of see the ocean coming up and then the next hole the green is right on the dunes. I am not sure what I am going to play this time. Definitely Harbour Town, if I can play three I will probably do Hilton Head National and one of the other Palmetto Dunes courses.

I've played Hilton Head National twice, Old South (only got 11 or so holes in), Palmetto Dunes (the ocean course), Eagle Pointe and Harbour Town.

Out of those I would play Harbour Town, Hilton Head National, Palmetto Dunes and then Old South. If you are willing to drive off island about 20-30 minutes (from the center of the island) Hilton Head National is fantastic, no houses, a lot of woods, nice range and overall very peaceful. Harbour Town is a must play if you can swing it and Old South from what I remember was cool. There is some holes that sort of go out onto some marshes bay like areas. Palmetto Dunes is a nice complex, three courses, its sort of like a mini Harbour in the sense that you turn a corner on one hole and can sort of see the ocean coming up and then the next hole the green is right on the dunes. I am not sure what I am going to play this time. Definitely Harbour Town, if I can play three I will probably do Hilton Head National and one of the other Palmetto Dunes courses.

I played Hilton Head National, and loved it.

I'm looking at a 3rd round in addition to Pinecrest and Island West (family friend who is a member at those two). Those are the only two I've played there.

In addition to Harbour Town (or either of the three Sea Pines Courses really) I had both HH Nat'l and Old South on the list. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either.

Anyone play Crescent Pointe or Golden Bear? Those are two others I've read good things about.

Last edited:
Only got in two rounds, Pinecrest Wednesday and Old South today. Pinecrest as usual was in great shape and a dang hard track still from the blues. It punishes if you don't place your ball well and long. Old South wasn't in as great of shape, but was a blast to play. Some of the holes kinda get lost and almost don't belong, but the six holes on the inlet are amazing. Palm trees on them gave an island feel. Definitely play this track again.

FYI PGG, had a nice phone conversation with the head pro at Harbour Town, they were closed to aerate Tues-Thurs.

Thanks buddy. I saw the aeration schedule and am hoping the greens are fine by Monday. If not, I may reschedule my tee time for later in the week. I'm still figuring out a second round so it looks like Pinecrest may be worth checking out.

Only got in two rounds, Pinecrest Wednesday and Old South today. Pinecrest as usual was in great shape and a dang hard track still from the blues. It punishes if you don't place your ball well and long. Old South wasn't in as great of shape, but was a blast to play. Some of the holes kinda get lost and almost don't belong, but the six holes on the inlet are amazing. Palm trees on them gave an island feel. Definitely play this track again.

FYI PGG, had a nice phone conversation with the head pro at Harbour Town, they were closed to aerate Tues-Thurs.

Hopefully the greens will be in great shape by the time I am there in two weeks, might book my time closer to the end of my trip instead.

Thanks buddy. I saw the aeration schedule and am hoping the greens are fine by Monday. If not, I may reschedule my tee time for later in the week. I'm still figuring out a second round so it looks like Pinecrest may be worth checking out.

I'm a big fan of Pinecrest. Classic parkland course, long, but requires a shot makers touch on several holes. Definitely a good test. I played with a member, but they had some very good July deals running. Possibly some for August as well.

I played Harbour Town today and the greens and fairways are still pretty rough from the recent aeration.

Also played HH National a couple days ago and those greens are actually a little better from their recent aeration. I really enjoyed playing both courses. I'll have to get down here again to play some of the others mentioned. First time down here and we're having a great time, so we'll make it back here sooner rather than later.

Taps away

I played Harbour Town today and the greens and fairways are still pretty rough from the recent aeration.

Also played HH National a couple days ago and those greens are actually a little better from their recent aeration. I really enjoyed playing both courses. I'll have to get down here again to play some of the others mentioned. First time down here and we're having a great time, so we'll make it back here sooner rather than later.

Taps away

Nice, bummer it wasn't in tip top shape. Hopefully they will be a little better in two weeks, I am looking to schedule my time somewhere after the 21st.

Nice, bummer it wasn't in tip top shape. Hopefully they will be a little better in two weeks, I am looking to schedule my time somewhere after the 21st.

Yeah I think everything will pretty much be back to normal by then. It looked like it needed another week tops.

Taps away

Not as bad as I anticipated. It's a much fairer course than I expected. Came in at 96 and felt like I left a handful of strokes out there with unusually bad iron shots. I'd like to play it again now that I've had a look at the layout.

Taps away

Not as bad as I anticipated. It's a much fairer course than I expected. Came in at 96 and felt like I left a handful of strokes out there with unusually bad iron shots. I'd like to play it again now that I've had a look at the layout.

Taps away

It is surprisingly fair isn't it? Off the tee isn't that bad and there are some tough second or third shots but the small greens and speeds are what really make it difficult.

It is surprisingly fair isn't it? Off the tee isn't that bad and there are some tough second or third shots but the small greens and speeds are what really make it difficult.

I agree. I thought I'd be hitting 3w off the tee every hole, but there was a lot more room than I thought there would be. You are right that the second and third shots are where it gets pretty challenging.

Taps away

u play any of the palmetto dunes courses? love them!

Back