Home of the Unofficial Armpit Cup - North vs South Jersey

salisboss

RIP Jake 8/17/01-9/21/14
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey THP,

This is taking place on Sunday April 26 at Neshanic Valley Golf Club. Format is up for debate but I was thinking 18 holes of singles and 9 of four ball since the course has 27 holes.

FAQs

Well, I wont be too embarrassed to speak up. I believe one on one matches is pretty simple except I don't really know exactly how/when/which holes the handicap strokes are given. I assume if competing caps are 9 and 15 that basically the higher capper gets 6 and the round plays scratch vs 6 and to be taken on the 6 hardest holes?

For the singles matches we are going based off of 80% of the difference between you and your opponent. Your scoresheet will already have the strokes marked but it starts with the hardest hole and works down but the lower cap would play as scratch.

I assume the first two 9's are considered two completely different matches even though against same person?

The order has not been decided but there a 9 hole four ball match, and two 9 hole singles matches against the same person (technically you are playing three matches).

The "four ball, best ball" thing? is that now teams of two or individual scoring? or whatever? sorry but you asked and I could use some explaining on that one. Hopefully I'm not the only one unsure of these things.

This is a two person team match where everyone gets 75% of the difference off of the lowest cap in the foursome. On a hole the team score is the lowest net score from either team member.

Besides the format questions above we also have some general playing rules and suggestions some have been mentioning for lost balls and OOB and such. For either scenario are we to hit provisional's or just head to the area within honest reason and drop. And if we do drop will we play drop and stroke or drop and 2 stroke in order to"sort of" make up for the distance part of the rule? These are sort of both questions and suggestions.

This is me talking here but I would say that for example if you slice or hook it into the woods, hit a provisional. If it is hugging the edge and you aren't sure we can alway drop near where we think it went.

And someone also mentioned picking up at triple bogey. So no matter where one is (hitting 7th shot on a par4) he is I assume to pick up after that but the other person I assume is then to finish the hole and if he should than get to triple even if on the green and holing it out on the 7th shot is the hole still halved?

I would say that this is a good policy.

And if one is getting a stroke on a hole due to handicap, where/how does the triple bogey then count? Does that then technically allow for 8strokes (on that hole) for that person before picking up? because on that hole isn't 8 really a 7 due to the extra given stroke. no? I mean the 8 for the one getting a stroke would be the same as a 7 for the one giving it so at 8/7 would be halved on that hole? no? Forgive the ignorance.

I would agree with this.

Official Rosters:

North: (May open up to more of NY)
1. salisboss - 15
2. Jlukes - 5
3. Rob Wedge - 18
4. Fireitup - 10
5. Devrickus - 14
6. Canio - 24
7. Jfaas33 - 10
8. Jackf - 17
9. O'Carroll - 17
10. MikeBender - 4
11. Motoo344 - 12
12. VPSax - 20

South:
1. Beedoubleu - 9
2. Chpar4 - 8
3. golf4life - 10
4. Mcrobertsjmac32 - 33
5. Red Grant - 25
6. FrancisD - 23
7. Philly Golf Guy - 21
8. Thechosen1 - 7
9. G$$$ - 14
10. Buckjob - 6
11. Rollin - 17
12. Wrayner83 - 3

Matchups:

Singles (80% of difference)

Devrickus - 4 v Golf4life
salisboss v mcrobertsjmac32 - 14
canio - 13 v chpar4
vpsax v Red Grant - 4
jlukes v thechosen1 - 2
o'carroll v PGG - 4
Rob Wedge - 8 v beedoubleu
motoo344 v francisD - 8
fireitup - 4 v buckjob
jackf - 1 v g$$$
mikebender v wrayner83
jfaas33 v rollin - 6

Four-Ball Better Ball (Each player gets 75% of the difference between them and the lowest in the foursome - Number of strokes shown is for 9 holes.
Devrickus - 2 & salisboss
- 3 VS Golf4life & mcrobertsjmac32 - 9
Caino - 6 & vpsax - 5 VS Chpar4 & Red Grant - 6
Jlukes & ocarroll - 5 VS TheChosen1 - 1 & PhillyGolfGuy - 6
Rob Wedge - 4 & motoo344 - 1 VS Beedoubleu & FrancisD - 5
Fireitup - 2 & jackf - 4 VS Buckjob & G$$$ - 3
Mikebender & jfass33 - 3 VS Wrayner83 & rollin - 5

Below are the times let me know if there are any issues I will send on Sunday

the Hackers Paradise

Unofficial Armpit Cup Battle of New Jersey North vs South
TEE
North

South

North

South
Time
Player
Player
Player
Player

Individual Matches
10:30
Devrickus
vs
golf4 life
Sailboss
vs
mcrobertsjmac32
10:40
canio
vs
Chpar4
vpsax
vs
Red Grant
10:50
Joelukes
vs
TheChosen1
Ocarroll
vs
Chris M
11:00
RobWedge
vs
BUU
moto0344
vs
FrancisD
11:10
Fireitup
vs
BuckJob
Jack F
vs
G$$$$
11:20
Mikebender
vs
Wrayner83
jfass
vs
rollin
4-ball Matches
3:00 ish
Devrickus
Sailboss
vs
golf4 life
mcrobertsjmac32
03:10 PM
canio
vpsax
vs
Chpar4
Red Grant
03:20 PM
Joelukes
Ocarroll
vs
TheChosen1
Chris M
03:30 PM
RobWedge
moto0344
vs
BUU
FrancisD
03:40 PM
Fireitup
Jack F
vs
BuckJob
G$$$$
03:50 PM
Mikebender
jfass
vs
Wrayner83
rollin

Last edited:
I stand with Team South Jersey! North Jersey might be the richer half, but South Jersey has better golf!

Where to play? Neshanic Valley is a great course. But, perhaps something closer to the middle of the state would be more appropriate, like Mercer Oaks?

Also, we need some sort of trophy or wager.

As a former resident of Medford, NJ I will stand with the South Jersey squad in its quest for the armpit trophy!

Nice, you started the thread! Looking forward to this. Dev needs to come in to this and work his magic on finding a course that will accept us degenerates. Guess we should start figuring out dates and all that good stuff.

Nice, you started the thread! Looking forward to this. Dev needs to come in to this and work his magic on finding a course that will accept us degenerates. Guess we should start figuring out dates and all that good stuff.

I think you boys need 27 at the Sand Barrens

North Jersey. Middletown all the way!

Neshanic, Roycebrook, Heron Glen and Mattawang all kind of straddle the Mason-Dixon line as far as a middle point. Or we could concede either South or North, North I know of the Crystal Springs courses and South there is the AC courses. I'm up for anything and willing to help finding a place.

Neshanic was willing to work with me a little when I was trying to figure out this past September at Glen Mills. Heron Glenn is a decent course but overpriced in my opinion and they won't work with price at all. Mattawang was kind of lackluster when we played there.

Neshanic was willing to work with me a little when I was trying to figure out this past September at Glen Mills. Heron Glenn is a decent course but overpriced in my opinion and they won't work with price at all. Mattawang was kind of lackluster when we played there.

I'm not a big fan of Heron Glen either and if they're not willing to play ball, along with their lack of a legit 19th hole, maybe they're off the list.

The Wang is pretty affordable and an interesting lay out, but probably the lesser of conditions when compared to others like Neshanic.

I'm assuming Cranbury is a front runner as well. :alien:

I'm not a big fan of Heron Glen either and if they're not willing to play ball, along with their lack of a legit 19th hole, maybe they're off the list.

The Wang is pretty affordable and an interesting lay out, but probably the lesser of conditions when compared to others like Neshanic.

I'm assuming Cranbury is a front runner as well. :alien:
I would rather stick rusty needles in my finger nails then play that dump again.

I would rather stick rusty needles in my finger nails then play that dump again.
It's Jersey, go to the shore and it can be arranged. Had one sticking out of my board one time surfing Sandy Hook. We drove down to Manasquan to get away from the barge trash.

I'm in for South Jersey. I'll make a trophy. I'm thinking about a open championship style jug with an armpit medallion - probably sculpted out of post-consumer waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im down! South Jersey represent! I say we at Twisted Dunes, Blue Herron, the vineyards, or Ballamawr

Awesome to see you Jersey guys getting together for a little showdown.

I think you boys need 27 at the Sand Barrens

Idk when the last time u were at Sand Barrons was but that place is a dump now. I wouldn't play there for free

I was trying for a middle of the state course, but if we go to the southern shore area, I would go with Shoregate.

I am going to start updating the first post with those that are interested by region.

In for south Jersey. Nice idea.

Woodcrest (close to 295)?
Stone Harbor, if still welcoming outings?

My brother was born in Mount Holly. Is that considered south Jersey? If so I'll be rooting for Southside Johnny & the Asbury THPers.

Hey THP,

Some of us were playing this weekend and felt a North vs South Jersey battle would be fun to do this spring or summer. For right now we are using Mercer and Monmouth counties and points north for the north team and vice versa. We will use this thread for the course, date, and participant discussion.

Interested:

North:
salisboss
Jlukes
Rob Wedge
Fireitup
Devrickus

South:
Speedliner
Beedoubleu
Chpar4
Lmh3